Modern fish farm

(noboxes) #1

Modern fish farming.

“It takes about seven pounds of feed to produce a pound of beef, two to produce a pound of chicken, but a pound of farmed salmon,” according to Aarskog, “requires less than 1.2 pounds of feed.”

… but they still ignore the natural food-chain, from seaweed to vegetarian oil-fish species, to carnivorous fish like Salmon… Still use farmed grain-based feed, instead of a more natural cycle…

(noboxes) #3

Another article on farmed fish.

(noboxes) #4

Significant info on starting an artificial reef, using a particular trademarked shape, and how little alterations can make it be doubly effective as a fish attracting device.

Think of “artificial reef” as free range chickens, they wander about in a space you own and feed themselves with whatever they like to eat. Instead of a cage that you bring the food to and they must eat whatever you can get for cheapest.

And i am not saying those particular forms are best anywhere you want to put them on the bottom. There’s some evidence that anything you put on a sandy bottom will lead to scour and sand loss. But you can put them on the sides and bottoms of any floaties you have, and not run afoul of any legal or environmental issues concerning bottom contact.

(noboxes) #5

These are what i was remembering about charter fishing guides placing artificial reefs to take customers out to. There’s stock shapes, and they customize to some extent. It’s choose, pay, give GPS location, and they put it there.

They also can be used as wave dampers in some locations and situations.

I have no affiliation, they don’t guarantee fish, do be aware of legal interference, your mileage may vary.

(Wilfried Ellmer) #6

| seasteading | ocean food | global sustainability | ocean colonization technology |

Actually, it’s IMTA being popularized as 3D Farming…

Claim is not Wil’s, but that of Bren Smith, in the video I linked.

I was showing where the claim came from… Added data

(noboxes) #12

To no one in particular: Washington is the 18th largest state (in the usa), with an area of 71,362 square miles.

Nice video JL.

In fact, Bren Smith is the executive director and co-founder of GreenWave. https://www.greenwave.org/ and recently I was thinking of contacting them in order to explore partnership opportunities w/Reefstead.

Since their goal is to build restorative “GreenWave Reefs” around the US and worldwide (https://www.greenwave.org/programming/) a seastead (reefstead) moored close by would make A LOT OF SENSE:

• Coral aquaculture (vertical “coral tree method” or on the bottom “coral gardening”) could be easily integrated within the 3D farming.

• Since land based agritourism is already established and proved profitable, a seastead near a 3D farm would make a profitable aquatourism platform.

• Such seastead can operate it’s own 3D farm, on location, generating quite decent income.

• Such seastead on location can provide logistics for the other 3D farm operators. Docking, fuel + “other” supplies. Also, if a small shellfish and seaweed processing plant is operating on the seastead, it can buy right there from the producer and wholesale to the nearby market for an extra profit.

If this is not the case for seasteading sustainability, what is it then,…

Any thoughts? Any takers? :smile:

I did some research on the subject. Yes, any shape-object might work, but there is an Australian company WAY ahead of everybody who’s producing those “reef blocks”.

I was thinking that in conjunction with a hanging coral nursery,

and a bottom coral garden,

it could create a nice coral reef.

Australia just pledged $500 million for the Great Barrier Reef restoration.

A lots of “reef restoration enterprise” is going that way with traction from that $500 Mil. to be spend. And I know that for a fact.

Now, the Great Barrier Reef is composed of 2900 individual reefs, it stretches for 1400 miles, and it covers 133,000.00 sq. miles, which is twice the size of the State of Florida.

Would a chain of “reef restoration support” seasteads moored on location throughout the reef make dollar and sense? I mean,… just the savings in gas alone for the boats needed to be ran on locations for restoration purposes on such a huge area will be in the $ tenth on million.

Any thoughts? Any takers? :wink:

(Wilfried Ellmer) #15

Fish farming needs to be done in open water - coastal fish farming - is rather part of the problem than part of the solution…it is important to DIFFERENTIATE that…this is where seasteading comes in as tool provider…enabling farmers to work and live in the open sea…far from coastal pollution and fragile coastal fish ecosistems…

(noboxes) #17

There’s a underwater plateau west of Florida that has more area than Florida, but the only places that noticeable biota occurs is on artificial reef dumps.

There’s a huge area east of Texas, same thing, only places biota occurs is on a few very tiny deep reefs.

If you go 10 miles south of the middle GOM states of the usa, the water is only 60ft deep. And the two 4-legged towers 10 miles offshore of South Carolina are in water ~60ft deep.

There’s a huge shallow plateau south of Jamaca, about the size of Jamaca. I do not know what’s on it.

But i am also all for hanging fish habitat (coral substrates, premade fish hiding places, etc) on a seastead that’s circling the Sargasso Sea or GOM off the continental shelves. Altho that might get you banned from most countries until your “livestock and plant life” has been quarantined and inspected.

https://www.fisheries.noaa.gov/topic/aquaculture

(Conrad Kramer) #19

I might be a taker! I’m looking into how I would start an open water farm floating in the South Pacific. Whether I grow seaweed, fish, coral, or tourism I’m stuck on the basics of what the floating scaffolding is made of. How it would it be engineered to last at sea.

I’m not looking at hard platforms or permanent houses. I just need a floating scaffolding from which to hang lines for seaweed, cages or nets for fish, or coral reefs. For the short term I figure the farm workers can live aboard ship moored to the farm which will also serve as a sea anchor. What are seafarmers thinking about for the basic scaffolding?

https://www.whoi.edu/page.do?pid=23876&tid=441&cid=5407&ct=61&article=2468

https://scholars.unh.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1037&context=dissertation

Hi Conrad.

In order for me to give you an educated answer you will have to better define “floating scaffolding”.

Are you describing an array of anchored floating buoys supporting your aquaculture operations?

How “deep” have you been looking? Where in South Pacific? Did you do a feasibility study?

What might look “cheaper” in the short term will turn into a high overhead in the long run… To start, you are in fact looking at 2 boats. First one as residential-operations support, and the second as shuttle, supply support. Boats are high maintenance. And that will add quickly, biting hard into your profit margin,…

On the other hand, an “almost free maintenance” floating platform, while a bit more expensive to start with, will save you big in the long run, therefore better profit margins.

You will have to better formulate this question,… I don’t understand what you meant.