Mid-Atlantic Ridge

(Mark A Peaty) #12

OK, 150 atmospheres pressure - maybe, and when the gloss has worn off and the process starts to seem a bit humdrum, will everybody involved still remain constantly vigilant and careful and not succumb to the temptation to cut corners? We know the answer to that.
But are you seriously saying that you want to risk lives and huge investments by having people working in bottles at 400 atm of pressure which is what you get 4km down where many of the spreading centres are located? Are you volunteering? :slight_smile:

I think a comparison with the NASA space shuttle program is apposite: apparently the fine print of the project definition settled for something like a 0.1% failure rate, and that seems to have been quite accurate. With spectacular results: 2 hulls lost with all aboard each time.
Now it seems to me that if the engineers and their bean counting masters had built the airframes with titanium instead of aluminium in the important places at least one of those disasters would have been mitigated.

(Wilfried Ellmer) #13

of course i am volunteering - isn’t that obvious - what you should know about me | ref | i am “@nautilusmaker” | ref 367 | that is me, on top of all those submarines…:relaxed:

| What you should know about me | business coordinates | Get a Boardroom Here |

Based on saturation diving operations, it looks like the limits are as follows:

Compressed air: Nitrogen narcosis limits you to around four times Earth's atmospheric pressure.
Any gas mix: Hydreliox was used for the current depth record; insomnia and fatigue issues appear to limit you to around 65 times Earth's pressure regardless of gas mix.

Jeff Frusha

Deepsea challenger:

Engineers made the pilot’s chamber spherical because the shape can be both strong and light. They also made the steel 2.5 inches (6.4 centimeters) thick to withstand the crushing pressure of the deep. If they had made the chamber a cylinder, by comparison, the hull would have needed to have been three times as thick to stand up to the pressure. The hull, complete with its hatch and viewport, was tested twice before the DEEPSEA CHALLENGE expedition in a pressure chamber at Pennsylvania State University to an equivalent full-ocean-depth pressure of 16,500 pounds per square inch (1,138 bars). It passed both tests. Twenty-two strain gauges attached to the sphere gave data that indicated the sphere could withstand up to 140 percent of the test pressure without buckling.

(Matias Volco) #15

SNORKEL MAINSTREAM HABITAT | PELAGIC

Interesting that your mind went there. And indeed outer space is inundated with light and lethal solar radiation; which looks awesome in movies like The Martian.
The Deep Ocean only needs to deal with pressure to yield a friendly contained habitat.

OCEAN FRONTIER INDUSTRY and EXPLORATION | ABYSSAL

Pressure, temperatures, currents, storms, energy supplies, breathable atmosphere supplies, food supplies, waste processing and elimination, communications, textiles, etc., etc., etc.

Oversimplification can get folks killed.

As the saying goes: The devil is in the details.

Jeff Frusha

(Wilfried Ellmer) #18

An interesting resurce comming from the mid atlantic ridge nobody has been talking about so far is Helium 3 it may be a way to achive fusion energy in our lifetime and was suggested to be mined from the surface of the moon…mid ocean ridge mining may give easy access to this energy crisis key element . (compared to moon mining)

3He can be used in fusion reactions by either of the reactions 2D + 3He → 4He + 1p + 18.3 MeV, or 3He + 3He → 4He + 2 1p+ 12.86 MeV

Helium 3 fusion reactor

mining the mid ocean ridge - the race is on

Submarine Robot Factory

Farnsworth did his experiments, beginning in the 1930s. To date, no Fusor has produced more energy than used to fuse the many substances used.

http://www.fusor.net/

(Wilfried Ellmer) #20

That is a misleading statement - suggesting that technology is not ripe… The reality is different HE3 fuel is incredible rare (currently there exist only 4 kilograms of it on earth) - the feasibility of the technology is shown - nobody with a little insight doubths that once the fuel would become available we would have fusion engines on the market within a year or two… The problem to solve is not in the technology of the reactor - that is a piece of cake - the problem to solve is get a fuel supply - (moon surface was suggested - but mid ocean ridge might be an easier source) . At the moment the technology is not developed as it makes little sense (at the moment) to develop a detailed technology for a almost non existent fuel. - that is DIFFERENT - and that difference is important as it leads to a different evaluation of the “potential value of vent base alpha in leading mankind to a better future” (which is the thread topic here)… more about HE 3 fusion reactor

He3 is also a waste byproduct of nuclear reactors. and released into the atmosphere fairly regularly. It is also a decay product of tritium, which can be made in Fusors, as well as the bombardment of Lithium with neutrons.

Your claim to: [quote=“ellmer, post:20, topic:1667”]
only 4 kilograms of it on earth
[/quote]
is patently false.

Some He3 is available on Earth. It is a by-product of the maintenance of nuclear weapons, which would supply us with about 300 kg of He3 and could continue to produce about 15 kg per year. The total supply in the U.S. strategic reserves of helium is about 29 kg, and another 187 kg is mixed up with the natural gas we have stored; these sources are not renewable at any significant rate.

THE ARTEMIS PROJECT

(Wilfried Ellmer) #22

Further resouces of the mid oceanc ridge

• Gold
• Rare Earth minerals
• Geo-Thermal Energy
• etc.etc.

• China declared a “ocean habitat” top priority of its 5 year research and development plan.

• It also declared He 3 mining as reason for its moon landing interest.

(since edited out)

Then don’t start in on me. You fail to look up even basic information, such as the data on He3, and make unfounded claims, have even misquoted documentation to make false claims, then start off on ‘scientific debate’, and once the facts are revealed and documented, you want popular opinion for your reinforcements.

I would like to see us ALL succeed at getting projects afloat. Rather than beg for funds, I am betting my future on real estate to build my project. I’m tired of arguing and waiting. The great benefactor hasn’t arrived, so I’m doing it on my own.

Regardless of your incessant whining over my ‘copying others’ (while you shamelessly attempt to credit yourself for other peoples’ accomplishments), my intents are within the laws, and I give due credit, rather than taking someone’s originality and trying to claim it as my own. I document to the best of my ability, to back ALL of my decisions and claims. I freely admit, the only thing original in how I plan to do things is the way I incorporate the pieces. Someone has to combine the parts, to make the thing that is greater than the sum of those parts, it might as well be me.

I sincerely hope you follow in James Cameron and Robert Ballard’s, and so many other great explorers’ footsteps, and create a ‘Deep-Sea-Challenger’-like exploration vessel of your own. I wish you well in your endeavors. Be safe, and be well.

Jeff Frusha

(Matias Volco) #24

The Mid Atlantic Ridge could be compared to a Mountain Range, richer in natural resources than more extensive sediment surfaces surrounding it. It should be fairly obvious that resource extraction has only been exploited and purportedly depleted from only 30% of the World’s surface. This is very obvious for the oil and gas industry from which we draw so much inspiration and confirmation.

The sweetest part of Ocean Colonization is that it allows for diverse and gradual developments that suits everyone’s risk tolerance, unlike Space Colonization which seems to require a huge upfront risk.

Summer Home

Permanent Urban Building Block

and, for the purpose of this thread, Ocean Exploration and Frontier Development

(Wilfried Ellmer) #25

A mid ocean mining city could well have a surface part and a submerged part…

(Matias Volco) #26

kinda like a mine always has both industries (or mines) and a main street town too. e.g. San Francisco

(Wilfried Ellmer) #27

Picture a mid ocean ridge mining cluster city something like this … part is on the surface - part is submerged. Ambients are diverse and each person can find a “comfort zone” …

Brazil is also into the race for deep sea bases… | so is India | check on natural light technology for deep sea bases (ref 728) | check on natural gas the big energy integrator ref 876 | check on big five business fields of going oceanic ref 65 |

Kelp? and water?
(Matias Volco) #28

related - edit later

Would be great for cleaning up the mess Fukushima is STILL making…

Jeff Frusha

A bit off topic now, but to go back to the seismic activity, earthen breakers and 30m waves:

While there will certainly be some big-ass waves as sea, it is worth pointing out that a tsunami won’t actually be a problem unless you are close to shore. In deep water, it is hardly perceptible and only grows into a big wave when the shallow water near shore pushes it up. So in the open ocean or even on top of a sea mount with steep sides, they wouldn’t be much of a problem. Other big waves, yeah. Liquefaction, yeah. Just not tsunamis.

Anything that the wave climbs, such as an undersea mountain range could be a problem.

Jeff Frusha

Steep sides, however, lead to very little run-up, the waves won’t be much bigger than normal open ocean waves.