Maximum depth | tubular concrete structures | hydrostatic load | spheres | oceanic business alliance

(Wilfried Ellmer) #1

Continuing the discussion from "spar type" offshore platforms | flip ship |:

1000m depth rating possible for spheres, 500m for tubular concrete structures

…the (study) results demonstrated the feasibility of near neutrally buoyant concrete structures, having an overall safety factor of three, at depths to 3000 feet for spheres and 1500 feet for cylinders. Greater depths are possible if concretes having a compressive strenght greater than 10.000 psi are used or if negativly buoyant structures are designed.

H.H Haynes and R.D. Rail october 1986 first published sept.1976

Connected topic fields:

| blimp structures | torus structures | underwater bases | oceanic data centers | business fields of ocean colonization | submarine salvage | underwater mining | oceanic business alliance | deep sea technology | get started | get invested | oceanic aquaculture | oceanic energy | oceanic real estate | oceanic transport | oceanic big data | oceanic freedom | key technologies of ocean colonization | oceanic industry networks |

The hydrostatic load in a sphere distributes equally and keeps the thrust line in the center of the wall what increases the overall strength.

The big five business fields of ocean colonization: | oceanic transport | oceanic energy | oceanic real estate | deep sea mining | oceanic aquaculture |

Let's talk about concrete submarines
Real Estate Paradigm Shift | oceanic business alliance | oceanic real estate | floating real estate |
Elon Musk's Hyperloop for connections between seasteads | oceanic business alliance
"Ellmer Sphere" Ocean Sphere | oceanic business alliance
Seasteading Invest | the big five of ocean colonization | investment yield 10%+ | oceanic business alliance
Breakaway Civilization | Seasteading | Ocean Colonization | Advanced Oceanic Cities | Atlantis | Enlightenment | Oceanic Business Alliance | next big thing in business
Picture the Ramform | get invested | get started | oceanic business alliance
Offshore aquaculture | realistic projects | big business | seafood | ocean colonization | ocean ranching | oceanic investment | world food security | oceanic business alliance
Seasteading Invest | the big five of ocean colonization | investment yield 10%+ | oceanic business alliance
Offshore aquaculture | realistic projects | big business | seafood | ocean colonization | ocean ranching | oceanic investment | world food security | oceanic business alliance

You’ve used that quote a number of times in the last several years.
Link to the documentation please?
Jeff Frusha

(Wilfried Ellmer) #3

Construction technology:

Alphaseed project | matrix printing cities on the ocean | a coding free space for construction engineering technology | key features for oceanic construction |

where did i use it allegedly a number of times ? link please ! - so we can avoid to get repetive and bore the auditorium.

• in fact - for the benefit of the auditorium - i would prefer to keep this on a expert level… so may i ask you politly not to flood this space with "meaningless chatter…and clutter…to find the original study google up with the study reference line . ( as any literate person would do )

H.H Haynes and R.D. Rail october 1986 first published sept.1976
or [download a PDF here](https://www.google.com.co/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=7&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjkzMGfldjKAhVFKCYKHcKXCLUQFghEMAY&url=http%3A%2F%2Fdtic.mil%2Fcgi-bin%2FGetTRDoc%3FAD%3DADA176233&usg=AFQjCNG0nyqpgyR8S6U1p7WaEP1rnYfWmQ&bvm=bv.113034660,d.eWE)

… not going to bore the auditorium with 5 posts about frushas world, his google problems, his download problems, his incapacity to stick to the scientific approach his personal animosities etc… nobody is interested to read about these topics under a thread title - which is: | maximum depth of tubular concrete structures… | just butt out as requested - as it has become obvious from your last (several hundred) posts that you have nothing relevant to contribute on this thread. Open your own threads talk about “frusha world” as much as you want there - i will give you the benefit of not interfering with you there - give me the same benefit here on this thread i opened …

/ Lens shell pictures overview / / Ramform floating home pictures / / c-shell floating home pictures / / Floating concrete building methods / / shell cluster pictures / / investor proposal list /

Connected Undersea Centers to Surface - Wild Ideas - The …
discuss.seasteading.org/t/connected-undersea-centers-to-surface/170
Mar 15, 2015 - …the (study) results demonstrated the feasibility of near neutrally buoyant concrete structures, having an overall safety factor of three, at depths …
The quest for space on the planet - General - The …
discuss.seasteading.org/t/the-quest-for-space-on-the-planet/579
Apr 29, 2015 - …the (study) results demonstrated the feasibility of near neutrally buoyant concrete structures, having an overall safety factor of three, at depths …
Marine Concrete Basics - Engineering - The Seasteading …
discuss.seasteading.org/t/marine-concrete-basics/828
Jun 26, 2015 - …the (study) results demonstrated the feasibility of near neutrally buoyant concrete structures, having an overall safety factor of three, at depths …
Tubular concrete structures in hydrostatic load - Forums …
concretesubmarine.activeboard.com/mobile.spark?p=topic&topic
…the (study) results demonstrated the feasibility of near neutrally buoyant concrete structures, having an overall safety factor of three, at depths to 3000 feet for …
floating concrete platforms building methods, pricepoints …
concretesubmarine.activeboard.com/.../floating-concrete-platforms-build
Jun 12, 2014 - All these factors add up to a reduction in general cost of building a real estate squaremeter which turns over … …the (study) results demonstrated the feasibility of near neutrally buoyant concrete structures, having an overall safety factor of three, at depths to 3000 feet for spheres and 1500 feet for cylinders.
submarine yacht gold treasure hunting - concretesubmarine …
concretesubmarine.activeboard.com/.../submarine-yacht-gold-treasure-hunt
Jan 1, 2013 - …the (study) results demonstrated the feasibility of near neutrally buoyant concrete structures, having an overall safety factor of three, at depths …

Jeff Frusha

Oops, you wanted links… Here ya go…
https://www.google.com/search?q=the+(study)+results+demonstrated+the+feasibility+of+near+neutrally+buoyant+concrete+structures%2C+having+an+overall+safety+factor+of+three%2C+at+depths+to&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

(Wilfried Ellmer) #5

http://discuss.seasteading.org/t/connected-undersea-centers-to-surface/170

http://discuss.seasteading.org/t/marine-concrete-basics/828

http://discuss.seasteading.org/t/the-quest-for-space-on-the-planet/579

The three threads in which Haynes was mentioned before - if you reference please reference useful and precise…stick to the scientific aproach of precise linking and precise argument…

@JL_Frusha - so may i ask you AGAIN politly not to flood this space with "meaningless frusha chatter, clutter, … consider it a thread not meant to be answered, interrupted, interfered, by frusha - a “frusha free space”… in the best sense of the word…do not expect answers to frusha comments on this thread…just go away…please.

It is - just a quest of efficiency motivated as mentioned earlier in post 19 of this thread…on january 22.

… like everywhere in life if you want to make some progress you need to find a way to limit the number of "crazy, fanatic, negativity loaden, annoying, uneducated, embarrishing, interrupting, people in your meetings | forums | projects | threads … or everything starts to fall apart. It is a quest for feasibility after all.

I simply asked for a link to the document. Quotes without documentation are useless.

“I can quote anything”- Johnny Appleseed

Jeff Frusha

You mean like you don’t have a link posted to the document I requested, or like you linked to your previous quotes?

Jeff Frusha

Doesn’t download. It’s a military site.

@ellmer This would be a lot better, w/o you constantly insulting others. I asked you for a link to the document source of the quote, you gave a useless link.

You wanted me to document your previous use of the quote, I did. Calling documentation unscientific is… well… unscientific.

(Randolph Hencken) #10

Ellmer, perhaps if you are diligent in documenting your claims, Frusha will not challenge you in this manner. It does seem fair that in a public forum for others to request for you to reference items you state as facts.

(Wilfried Ellmer) #11

the requested study was delivered at this post in two different shapes - as “literature reference line” for a public database search and as pdf download (requires pdf reader - as internet literates know) - nevertheless frusha finds it necessary to bore the auditorium (if there is still any - one migh doubth -) 5 posts more to request it (just to inform us finally that he found it - like everybody else -) - please understand that this scraps my “patiece treshold” for the “intellectually challanged”… especially on a “declared expert thread”… and after reading through 1185 frusha posts - delivering a “unbearable nonsense quote of 95%” - ( my personal opinion) … so i feel a certain urge to ask him politly to butt out of threads I open - offering him not to post on threads HE opens - is that asking too much ? - do we really have to bear with him on any single of the threads - all of them ? - please, please, give me a frusha free space - please !!! - as you see from the post above frusha considers it “insult” to be asked to give me some space - is that sociopathic or what ? ! - how can we make progress - if we dragg that kind of ballast along… it is a quest for thread efficiency and info quality - it is not about frusha in person - and not about his “butt in rights”....

The four fundamental quests of ocean colonization : | The quest for interference freedom | The quest for mobility | The quest for oceanic resources | The quest for space on the planet |

Breakaway Civilization | Seasteading | Ocean Colonization | Advanced Oceanic Cities | Atlantis | Enlightenment | Oceanic Business Alliance | next big thing in business

Per the following portion of the conversation:

http://discuss.seasteading.org/t/maximum-depth-tubular-concrete-structures-hydrostatic-load-spheres/1515/8?u=jl_frusha

It will not download, nor can it be read at that location, therefor it is not a valid link.

Per later in the conversation, I WAS able to find and obtain a copy, so it doesn’t really matter, but what is interesting is that, regardless of your claims for 4 inches of cement, your own ref. invalidates your claim that 4 inches/10 cm of concrete is sufficient for a reasonable sized sphere. To begin in chapter 4, they start calculating at 7.9+ feet of concrete, for a 100 foot diameter sphere, to 2000 ft depth, for temporary habitation, and then the recommended wall thickness goes up for varying safety factors, while they also state problems with concrete absorbing water, over extended periods of time.

That’s the science from your designated resource, not my personal opinion, not any sort of slander or attack on your dream sphere.

Personally, I like the sphere concept, I like the artwork, as well, I just think that reality shows it is not feasible at any scale, much less 600 meters in diameter.

ANY sort of plate-stead would have to be pre-engineered for the conditions it is intended to ultimately face. There is no practical way to bond concrete, such that, say a seastead home with a 4 in/10 cm hull, can be expanded to a 70 meter diameter hull, then to a 600 meter diameter sphere.

For further ref:

“The platform stands on the sea floor 303 metres (994 feet) below the surface of the sea and one of the continuous-slip-formed[3] concrete cylindrical legs (the leg containing the import and export risers) has an elevator that takes over nine minutes to travel[3] from the platform above the waves to the sea floor. The walls of Troll A’s legs are over 1 metre thick made of steel reinforced concrete formed in one continuous pour…”

(Wilfried Ellmer) #13

@JL_Frusha - what exactly in the social concept of “giving me space and not butt in on threads i open” - you do NOT understand ? - why is it so hard for you to “not butt in” ? Why is respect of spaces a concept you do not get ? - Why should i be obligated to answer to nonsense talkers i do not want to talk to. I already answered the question why i do not want to talk to you - your nonsense level is unbearable and scratches my timewaste limit. Please do NOT try to answer to get into a talk - have your talk with somebody else (who is interested in talk with frusha - if you can find somebody who is) in a space you open yourself. Respect that i asked you for respecting my space. ( i will leave it to the auditorium to have its own opinion if the above post should be considered a shining example of a “disconnected truckload of frusha nonsense”.…)

@RandolphHencken - to make progress the seasteading community needs to find a way to cut off this “nonsense overkill” - it shues the investors away … can we seperate the discussions in rooms - the discourse software facilitates this… so each group can have its talks without non desired elements butting in all the time…let me hear your thoughts.

The seasteading forum has 342 users i have declared my non interest talking to 3 of them - along the last year - that leaves me still with 339 users that have potentially something to say that might be interesting - if you are part of that collective - please go ahead… come forward… 3 non desired elements shut up do not butt in. - let’s have a high grade info source and thread progress…

The big five business fields of ocean colonization: | oceanic transport | oceanic energy | oceanic real estate | deep sea mining | oceanic aquaculture |

Oceanic Real estate | global networking hubs | Extraterritorialized | oceanic business alliance
Oceanic Real estate | global networking hubs | Extraterritorialized | oceanic business alliance
Galt's Gulch is on the oceans | oceanic business alliance
(joequirk) #14

Here’s why I struggle with the forums. The few members who argue are uncivil. I agree it makes us look bad to investors. Each member who argues also contributes significant value to our knowledge of seasteading. What each arguer has in common is that they are passionate about seasteading and motivated to make it happen. I want those people on our team.

How to capture the value of the arguers contributions without it being sabotaged by the bickering? As a writer of controversial books and essays, I learned there’s only one way: Ignore. It’s easy to scan over rants and irrelevancies and go straight to the contributions I find valuable. It’s also easy to trust the rest of the community is doing the same. Nobody is reading the accusations and counter-accusations except the accusers. People are good at figuring out which contributors they want to ignore. Well over 350 people have contributed to these forums without arguing.

Here’s why it matters: The bickering provides ammunition for the enemies of seasteading. It discourages investors, who know businesses are built on stable relationships and cooperative teams.

Why aren’t we living on seasteads right now? I blame a series of Great Seasteading Setbacks caused by public bickering.

Here’s one: The very day I became enthralled with seasteading at the conference in 2012, a journalist arrived with an agenda. He ignored 2 days of talks about nautical engineering, algae farms, blue jobs, and legal precedents for floating cities. Any discussion of startup countries will involve Singapore. Any discussion of Singapore will cause somebody to mention public caning. None of this was discussed during the conference. Two people among 200 attendees, neither of whom any of us knew, started an argument during the social gathering after the conference. They both became very engaged with proving the other one wrong. Virtually everybody ignored them.

A journalist stood by and took copious notes. His article opened with their quotes about public caning. For months we had to answer questions about why seasteaders support public beatings. Any investor who googled “seasteading” spotted an article quoting statements about caning. You have no idea how much PR work we had to do to push that message off the first page of our google search.

I’m waiting for that journalist to discover these forum arguments. He is actively searching. He showed up at our last public event and asked me questions. These forums contain a goldmine for him.

Somebody annoying you? Don’t engage. Ignore. Trust that the rest of the forum community is ignoring them too. The more you ignore, the more productive these conversations will be.

Contributors, I’m grateful for your formidable research and mindbending creativity, and I’m looking forward to seeing more.

Real Estate Paradigm Shift | oceanic business alliance | oceanic real estate | floating real estate |

May I add, it’s also a dichotomy? The artistry tries to depict, but the limits of technology are also part of the struggle. Without respecting technology, then the artistry is merely that. However, when the 2 can come together, and it all falls into place, then the dischord becomes a new melody.

Quite often, I find, my best inspirations and motivations come with strong emotion. Often, in this forum, moments of clarity seem to be preceded by such struggles.

Indirectly, I owe several of my concepts to the push and pull, especially between Wilfried Ellmer and myself. I’ve worked hard on both FLIP and Ramform design concepts. As such, I’m probably as well informed of what they are, as anyone that hasn’t been aboard them can be. Because of that, I’ve emailed with an engineer at PGS (Ramform fleet owners), and even the Captain of the FLIP.

In order for anything to get done, though, the reality of the structural limitations has to be respected, along with attention to detail.

Now, put it into perspective of someone willing to toss some years of my life and most of my income into building one dream, to last the rest of my life, and stand the testament of time as my singular achievement, I know the requirements I face, to build a safe, livable, durable structure, and I fully intend to do so.

If, on the otherhand, I was looking to gain financing to build, then artwork, specs and plans will have to be informed and detailed by the structural concerns. I can’t very well go in and say I want to build a ferrocement barge hull, then go back as say I misspoke, the hull has to be 10 times thicker, and costs 8 times more than you already gave me…

Without the struggle here, I wouldn’t HAVE the inspiration, or sufficient knowledge, that gives me the details to build.

Artwork is fine and dandy, but it’s a long way from a drawing to a fleshed-out concept, and only a tad further to an engineered design. What do we want? How can we build it? What do we need to do it? Where will we build it? Where will we put it?

(Wilfried Ellmer) #16

How can we encourage them to contribute their ideas further and not be shued away along the investors by the few agressive elements that aim to shu away everything that is not “their way”… their only way …

Typical phrases:

This is not a seastead

Why this will fail

You are going down the wrong road

We should develop a culture where this kind of “contributions” are tuned back.

(Bart Kemper) #17

I’m not clear – why is dissent or skepticism a negative contribution. I agree groundless skepticism is of little value, just as groundless optimism is of little value. Both are likely to be destructive.

This is an engineering discussion. Engineers ask question in a manner than layman think are “arguments”. They are not. We test each other’s assumptions, methods, and sources. If one becomes emotionally involved and has bad feelings over the process typical of engineering, it does not advance the process.

Well said. I wish I had the eloquence to put it so succinctly. Would have helped with the original forum, which fell due to the bickering, rather than build on available methodology and documentation.

Jeff Frusha

(Bart Kemper) #19

This is a fairly comprehensive list of the research on the subject. Most of it is decades old.

http://www.hydroports.com/underwater_concrete_habitats.htm

(Bart Kemper) #20

Multiple design data sources should be used. No single design source should be used in novel development, particularly if the design is not in widespread use to reflect a solid body of known usage. Test beats theory, and full scale usage beats testing in terms of a basis for data. Engineering is most reliable when the data from full scale usage is studied and fed back into the field of practice.

Related to that, we need to look beyond simply concrete. Acrylics are used for viewports, and there will be a need for a visual connection. For example, one need for a viewport is visual communication in the event of a power-out failure or a comms failure.

Concrete is porous. It’s just a question of rates. Steel reinforcement does interact with the seawater. The use of advanced techniques such as FEA and CFD is helpful, but it is only as good as the data to apply and the knowledge of the user to establish boundary conditions and to interpret the results.