Marine Cluster instead of single structure

(Wilfried Ellmer) #1

Seasteading was in lenght discussed as a structure built in a single project dedicated to a single purpose - i would envision it rather as a “marine cluster” of many units of different type, size and business model, comming together in a network…

In lack of a better analogy you might picture it rather as an “Asian floating market” with a solved technology bottleneck than a platform with a business on it.

The limit of those floating developments in Asia is their vulnerability that limits them to protected bays.

Today we can solve that and open the sea for settlement - a unique opportunity in history

Maximum depth | tubular concrete structures | hydrostatic load | spheres | oceanic business alliance
WAVE-E "Wave Breaker" Contest
Is house on a platform the best solution for seasteading
(Parthasarathi Singh) #2

Yes, but how do we solve that issue, assuming that we follow the ‘marine cluster’ model you speak of?

(Bob LLewellyn) #3

This is exactly the topic for the pilot project we call Marinea. We are making just such a marina cluster at sea. It will be expandable to handle pretty much whatever we need it to and replicable so others can reproduce what we are doing all over the planet. The third thing is that it will be self-sufficient, meaning that in exchange for what we can’t make for ourselves, we will produce enough of what we can to trade with the rest of the world. The Marine Cluster is my vision too.

Bob

(Jonas Smith) #4

I’d still like to see some actual designs as to how these multiple modular platforms will all attach and share infrastructure on the water, and how modules will detach and re-attach at will.

I would like to know what happens to the Marinea infrastructure when a hurricane comes up and everyone hops into their boat and heads to protected waters.

(Bob LLewellyn) #6

“I’d still like to see some actual designs as to how these multiple modular platforms will all attach and share infrastructure on the water, and how modules will detach and re-attach at will.”.

Well Jonas, we are working on that and should have some announcement pretty soon actually. And, Jonas, I think you will approve of our logic on this method.

Bob

(Bob LLewellyn) #7

[quote=“KatOnTri, post:5, topic:478, full:true”]
I would like to know what happens to the Marinea infrastructure when a hurricane comes up and everyone hops into their boat and heads to protected waters.[/quote]

Well, if we have done our job properly, nothing will happen to it as the structure will be designed to go through 300 mph winds. We make tornado shelters and those are a heck of a lot worse than any hurricane.

Anything design to stand up to waves, won’t even notice a 200 mph breeze. (a habit of the old is to repeat themselves).

Bob

Will someone claim it under salvage while the inhabitants are off it?

(Bob LLewellyn) #9

No need to leave it Kat, designed to go through it like buildings in California are designed to go through earth quakes.

(Wilfried Ellmer) #10

who made the postulate that ATTACH is needed or desireable … land buildings in a “city cluster” are never “attached” to each other for good reasons.

(Jonas Smith) #11

But they are attached to the common infrastructure such as power, water, sewage, etc. Do you expect each module in your “marine cluster” to have its own energy production, water supply, septic system, garbage disposal, network connectivity, etc?

And if the modules aren’t attached to each other, what prevents them from bashing into each other?

(Wilfried Ellmer) #12

tendon anchor, turett mooring…most highrise buildings have grid independent sistems already…no yet to solve issue remains. Cable and tubing laying is easier on the water than in a land city. Road infrastructure is obsolete, the water is the road check Venice

(Jonas Smith) #13

What the hell is a tendon anchor? And as for turret mooring, now I know you have no clue. You realize that even with a turret mooring the ship or platform can still swing around the turret…that is the whole point of the design, it’s called “weathervaning”.

Furthermore, even turret moorings have a designed “excursion limit” that can be 5%-10% of the water depth…which can be quite a bit of surge and sway even in normal sea states.

On top of that, turret mooring systems use catenary anchor lines, which have a very large spread:

Please show me how multiple modules are going to be near each other without fouling all their anchor lines.

Picture the Ramform | get invested | get started | oceanic business alliance
(Jonas Smith) #14

No high rise buildings are grid independent…not for energy, waste, water, or network.

(Jonas Smith) #15

Now if you meant a “tension anchor” like a tension leg platform (TLP) well, you are even crazier. They are incredibly expensive…on the order of hundreds of millions or billions of dollars. The platform still has significant sway and moves compliantly with the waves. They are not a good solution for water depths over 3000ft. The only thing is you don’t have the anchor spread like you do with compliant systems, but good luck factoring the cost of that into your high seas marina…

(Wilfried Ellmer) #16

i leave it to the auditorium to decide after your post who has no clue :blush: i better shut up this is scratching my timewaste limit…

(Bob LLewellyn) #17

[quote=“i_is_j_smith, post:11, topic:478”]
But they are attached to the common infrastructure such as power, water, sewage, etc. Do you expect each module in your “marine cluster” to have its own energy production, water supply, septic system, garbage disposal, network connectivity, etc?[/quote]

Attached as boats are attached to a marina. Long heavy duty extension cables, Water from a hose. Floating piers are attached to the structure and the structure is anchored to the bottom. Now future developments maybe different, I am only referring to Marinea.

(Wilfried Ellmer) #18

Tendon anchor with bulge wave generator…combining tendon ancor and turret you can have the watch circle as small as you want it. Anchor depth is unlimited, cost of the anchor sistem is 10% of the total project cost.

I have a scheme in mind for a marina such that boaters are moving in sync but mostly isolated from waves and rocking, at least in most weather, without a breakwater. Bad news for that idea is life has taught me that “neighbor” is a bad thing.

(Wilfried Ellmer) #20

…you choose the “adequate distance” to the next neigbor…in a cluster development.