Long-range fuel-efficient Transportation

(Matous Horal) #23

anyone thought of a principle of a simple coil pop pop boat for use with direct solar? heat a pipe and here you go.
or with a boiler ofc, but all the salt will become a bigger issue…
like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8yM1HhCnIM or this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3OLhFx8KZY
that is fuel efficent when done with solar or “solar made heat stored in a proper medium”:slight_smile:

The problem I see is salt and particulate buildup. However, perhaps concentrated solar, salt heat storage, and desalinated water, creating steam and driving a newer, more efficient direct steam drive jet?

(Larry G) #25

I’m pretty convinced that some form of wind power will be incorporated into many modern vessel designs for folks who want to spend lots of time on the ocean. Probably with back-up powered propulsion, or as a supplement to powered propulsion.

Don’t forget biofouling. That’s what is sinking OTEC. The system is dependent on clean heat transmission from warm to cool parts of the engine. The ocean is chock full of little algae and critters who LOVE to glom on to clean surfaces and start growing. Any system dependent on clean ocean surfaces would need to be air dried and cleared periodically to remove the sea life.

(Philip F Stone) #27

I see a lot of ‘tech’ ideas to get around. If you want to be fuel efficient as the topic suggests, there is really only one answer. Today’s sailboats can get you around in any direction at adequate speeds. Some of these suggestions assume oil will be plentiful and available; and I suppose reliable. A 55 foot mono hull sailboat can get from Newfoundland to Ireland in 8 days. A good catamaran can do it in less. Most decent designs can do 200-240 miles per day. How fast do you want to go? The fastest cats can do better than 60 mph. Somewhere in between should be fast enough.

I building a 49 foot catamaran houseboat to live on (I also think housing in a sea-stead should be mainly your own boats, too—so you don’t have to be a millionaire to live there—rents pay for the fixed platforms where manufacturing, business, retail, and farming is done) that I expect 180 mile days using fiberglass (for UV resistance) junk-rig sails. Mostly plywood, and covered with a thin (12 oz) layer of fiberglass, and for less than $75,000. Lots of redundancy if everyone has their own boat. Put together, they could even pull the fixed platforms back to ‘station’ if it got loose.

Maybe I’m old fashioned, but high tech assumes a lot of things stay just the way they are now—and I don’t think that will be the case.

Breakaway Civilization | Seasteading | Ocean Colonization | Advanced Oceanic Cities | Atlantis | Enlightenment | Oceanic Business Alliance | next big thing in business
(Wilfried Ellmer) #28

@PSt111 - great to have a new voice in the forums !

• The Yachties - people living permanently on their sail-boats are a kind of “Seasteading population” existing already"
• Venice came to its status as marine power and trade broker by its merchant fleet (by proxi) not by the things built into the city itself
• Things might change - the new age of sail (Orlov) | more here

@PSt111 | Philip, something like this might be a semi permanent base for your catamaran…

Breakaway Civilization | Seasteading | Ocean Colonization | Advanced Oceanic Cities | Atlantis | Enlightenment | Oceanic Business Alliance | next big thing in business

Lilium electric flying ‘car’

(.) #31

Yes. It seems like a possibility.
At least to say, I would give some credibility to those people who work with such a thing like
SpaceX and Tesla. Elon Musk explicitly says it is possible. And he said it several times.
And there is video about it: https://youtu.be/erjdYiwoYAo

So, it is a yes. I do not think I can get a pilots license, but who knows?
How safe is it going to be? Well, how safe is the Tesla car? The Tesla car is the safest car.
The Tesla car is a bit expensive, and they are working on a cheaper electric car too.
I bet they can do it. Seems like the electric car is here. I do see Tesla cars on the road.

(Bob LLewellyn) #32

For long range like from Land to a seastead, I like the new seaplane from Dornier, fixes a lot of problems.

(.) #33

Reducing Drag with superhydrophobic surfaces becoming more feasible, with advances in understanding of what works, why, and how…

(Larry G) #35

[quote=“Asimov4, post:10, topic:2574”]
to your point about “driving a motorboat being as essential to seasteading as driving a car on land” you might be interested in the Tesla of the motorboat.[/quote]

Electric boats aren’t really that hard to find.

I’m more interested in vessels that don’t require refueling from resources you don’t control:

GY Boat Design ltd — 8.5 m Amphibious Boat (2012)

The hull bottom has 3 compartments that house the 3 landing wheels and hydraulic arms.
The compartments are closed off with hinged flaps when the boat is in sea mode.
In sea mode the compartments are flooded when the boat is at rest and venturi dry when she is under way.

Length Overall: 8.50 m
Length (Waterline): 7.20 m
Beam Max: 3.16 m
Draught (mean): 0.50 m
Displacement (half load): 4700 kg
Engine: Volvo D6-370hp @ 3500 rpm
Drive: Volvo DPH Duoprop
Fuel: 250 Litres
Fresh Water: 100 Litres
Construction: Carbon composite / epoxy resin
Speed on water (half load): 36 knots
Range: 200nm @ 28 knots
Speed onshore: 10km/h
Classification: CE Category: B Offshore

(Larry G) #37

The power for these electric motors comes from permanent magnet generators allowing the vessels to operate under just electric power from these generators. Batteries are also installed providing enough power to operate the vessels for an hour.

This hybrid propulsion system allows the vessel to operate just under electric power when at the wind farm which should offer a considerable saving in fuel as well as in main engine operating hours. Each of the vessels will be capable of transporting 20 tonnes of freight on the foredeck whilst inside, there is space for 24 passengers in comfortable business class seats. There are six cabins on board for the ship’s crew, along with a mess room, changing lockers and space for the crew. This allows the ships to be deployed 24 hours per day.

(Larry G) #38

The power units are a pair of 10 kW sail drive units that can revolve through 360° to give the craft exceptional manoeuvrability. In addition, there is a 6kW electric bow thruster. The power for these drive units comes from a bank of lithium polymer batteries with the power in these supplemented from the solar panels on the roof of the cabin. There are 52 of these panels covering an area of 66 square metres and producing up to 12.4kWp. The service speed is 4 knots and the full speed is 6 knots.

The larger version that has been developed but not built yet has double the passenger capacity with seating on two decks. The catamaran hull is 26 metres long with a beam of 6 metres and it operates with a draft of just 0.9 metres.

(Larry G) #39

Wing in ground effect craft have been classified as marine vessels in some cases.

Not sure that any of them will get more fuel efficient than a boat. But apparently they go mch faster.

(Larry G) #40