List of Current Seasteading Projects

It would be great if those of us with ideas that panned out for others could get some backing for our ideas, too.

(.) #105

In chess openings there is a thing called the “fried liver trap”.
When the opponent is an experienced player he or she immediately
recognizes it and the outcome is guaranteed.

In business a fried liver trap can be “invest your money in my idea”.

In business investment a banking question always is:
“How much of your own money do you invest in this idea?”

(.) #106

Having the idea of DigiMovies, how much am I entitled from Netflix: none.
Just working for Netflix, how much would I be entitled of Netflix: none.

A software engineer who writes a good program and copyrights it is
entitled to possess the entire product.
If the software engineer writes it for hire, he or she is entitled: none.

It is like a game of chess.

(.) #107

Some people are experienced in real estate, and they want to benefit
their children or someone else by making it possible for them to
own property by giving a down payment.
These experienced people also make sure that it is their name that comes
first on the grand deed. So if the deal goes bad somewhere, they can take
over and get their money back.
This guarantees, not just the money back on the investment, but also
a possible restart.

Maybe so, but not quite so. “The best location” is a VERY relative term. I can present 10 “best locations” better than Bora Bora, Cartagena or Cay Sal combined, but without the right SEASTEADING CONCEPT to be applied for that particular location, any location will fail.

Given the fact that the first “leg” of seasteading on all of those location will be around 100?-200? people, 200k or 20 Mil visitors around your seastead seems to be irrelevant. If only 100 visitors, than relevant.

No flights to Cay Sal. No airport there. Cay Sal can only be reached by boat or seaplane. No docking facilities on Cay Sal. Best way to reach Cay Sal is to fly to Marathon FL and catch a 100 miles boat ride to Cay Sal.

The lack of ANY infrastructure on Cay Sal is a major drawback. BUT, excellent fishing, snorkeling, diving in a pristine marine habitat are major assets. What criteria do we use to “rate” that?

Overall, in my opinion the Bora Bora location it’s a “done deal”. TSI (in fact The Blue Frontiers) already “set foot” there and they will deploy there. Over-analyzing if best or not location compared to other seems irrelevant at this point to me.

All they have to do is to come up with the right seasteading concept.

But Bob, Cay Sal is Bahamian territory. You’ll have to respect Bahamian law and ask for permission to operate there.

(Mariusz) #110

Another thread that was driven off-topic. It’s becoming pointless to create new topics.
Why don’t we just discuss everything in on large thread? /s

Which also means that low skilled laborers will find it hard to afford Marinea.

which means it has no police and other emergency services, no infrastructure, no diplomacy…

If I have to spend every day homeschooling my kids, I won’t be able to go to work. If there are no schools on Marinea, most parents will never move there.

If you allow people to dump sewage into the water, as you indicated in another thread, I don’t think any of the above will apply to Marinea.

(Wilfried Ellmer) #111

… can you please go through with your thoughtline and “not attend” the interruptions…there are still people on this thread who actually want to hear what you have to say…

(Theodore M. Amenta) #112

Seasteading-the-Movie: - Scene 3 - I want to refocus my thoughts by defining the Prototype mission, program, population and activity.The objective is to create self-sufficient socio-economic and politically independent community on water. Energy will be provided by solar and wind power with diesel back up until hydro-thermal or hydro-dynamic technology is sufficiently advanced. Water will be provided by rain catchment and desalinization. Sanitation will be provided with package treatment plants. I have not solved trash recycling. Help!

The Prototype Census is divided as follows: 25 Yacht Club / Marina guests of 7-day average stay; 150 permeant residents (330 day stay); 25-seasonal residents (90 day average stay); 25 staff, 3 to 10 day stay.

Architectural Program is allocated a follows: Yacht Club 10,000 SF; market rate residential 60,000 SF; seasonal residential 10,000 SF; co-work / incubator 10,000SF; support services 10,000 SF for a total of 100,000 SF. The development budget is $35 million.

This census and program will need and generate employment and economic activity. The yacht club / marina will generate 25 jobs (housekeeping, front desk, food service, retail) plus enable fishing and aquaculture and building engineering, maintenance and repairs. The co-work / incubator provides 150 SF for each IT resident worker and digital nomad. The market residential provides 400SF for each resident in a mix of studio, 1, 2 and 3-bedroom configurations. Seasonal residential is custom designed. Drawings will follow.

(Theodore M. Amenta) #113

This is a called a “bulk and massing diagram” to distinguish it from the architectural “rendering” often posted on the Seasteading Institute website. The Cay Sal intention is to proceed with the purchase of an existing barge. I show it in blue as Phase 1 attached to the Prototype. In the Cay Sal “remote” location staff will need to be housed on site and provided private dining and recreation areas. Access by sea plane is necessary for provisions, emergency and staff transportation. Note: The scale of the wind generators is “industrial” and not for the Cay Sal location. The prototype is also being tested in Polynesia where fuel-based energy is at a high cost and while wind is relatively low — The cost benefit is currently being studied by US based providers. Ted

(Wilfried Ellmer) #114

OK - so let us call this the “T-Amenta-Setup” - a 35 million budget - mixed use development - go ahead with your thought line please.

Sounds like a Time-share condo

(.) #116

Architectural Program is allocated a follows: Yacht Club 10,000 SF

What does “SF” stands for? (Stands For)(hehe-)).

Unit of measurement: Square Feet

(Theodore M. Amenta) #118

Not the prototype: This is a simple version of a barge-based Phase 1. It could be located in Polynesia, Cay Sal or Cartagena. I understand from published comments by Seasteading Institute that their objective is such Phase 1. This is also aligned with the mission of Cay Sal as I understand it. I prepared this as a collaborative gesture. I have added a solar array on the roof and a wind generate to the aft. This concept does not fulfill the mission of being sustainable. Ted

(.) #119

Hi Ted;
It is beautiful. Thank you.

(Theodore M. Amenta) #120

Seasteading-the-Movie - Scene 4 — I provided this “prototype” to Seasteading Institute in March. The program is as described earlier today. The circular marina is created to create a “sense of place” the urban design sense. It is bounded by an esplanade for walking and al fresco cafes. The scale of the space is set to be “walkable.” That is people walk at 200 feet per minute so the scale of the sea stead is set by this. You will note that many of the architectural renderings show much larger configurations. A larger plaza is to be located on the square to the diagonal right.

A 50-year old obsolete cruise ship is docked. One can find these for sale on line. The character is “romantic” public rooms. Partitions between adjacent cabins are removed to bring to contemporary size. Ted

For your platform, you might research the floating Atoll for the movie “Water world” (Kevin Costner). The movie platforms were designed and moored with a hurricane rating, despite the weird set they built on them. While set was disassembled and towed to California, and reassembled, to become part of Disney. Was featured, in part, in a movie series called Movie Magic.

Just a suggestion, since the design could be duplicated and built on, is already engineered, has known properties.

Cay Sal or Cartagena is do-able. But Polynesia, I doubt it.

Keep in mind that ex- “Fisherman Paradise” is 380’ LOA and has no engine(s). Towing it to Polynesia, via transiting the Panama Canal and then crossing the Pacific is a huge undertaking that will cost in the $ Millions.

(Theodore M. Amenta) #123

JL: Thank you for the tip. I will track it down. I have colleague who is a land-based marine engineer – not naval but water front, harbor, break-water — not hull design, but having said that he has given me a level of hull engineering design. I have been able to lower the cost of the platform to below $50 / SF. Others in our community believe they can get it down to $30 / SF. In all cases this is considerably below the TSI posted assumptions.