List of Current Seasteading Projects

(Theodore M. Amenta) #186

Sorry, I possibly misspoke. I intended to say the Island Class cutter or smaller. Primarily for the intimidation affect. It would have a Bahama crew. My thought intends to foreshadow the negotiation that Marinea ---- and for that matter TSI will have with their respective governments to obtain the right to proceed with a sea stead.It is my experience that the the Bahama / Polynesia governments will seek benefits for the “public good.” The EIS that TSI is obligated to provide will identify construction, permanent employment, tax and purchase of local products — economic activity. The EIS I expect will evaluate and measure the environmental impacts — negative and positive. In the case of Marinea there is a huge opportunity to have a positive impact on the negative poaching and overfishing problem.

One additional thought: What is the status of the TSI sea stead design, and EIS. Has there been an update since the MOU was signed in January? Is there an identified location selected? Ted

(Theodore M. Amenta) #187

Food & Waste? add to that energy, fresh water, bulk waste — the whole infrastructure — the following is all # rounding:

Food: - US people eat 2,000 (less) pounds of food each year in 5 food groups. Hydroponic farming can provide fruit and vegetables. Vertical sea farming can provide protein and seaweed. Both technologies are sufficiently advance to be economically productive intensity — to be financially feasible. I have done sufficient work to prove this. I myself in a former life have raised chickens, pigs and milking goats. I doubt that the pigs and goats of sufficient economic intensity ---- but I know the chickens are. I have solved the correct area ratio of these hydroponics and ague culture farms to population. I not solved all of the food so provision will be need to supplement.

Energy: - The present configuration has sufficient are to provide 60% of electricity demand to be supplemented with industrial size wind turbines (not utility size). This can be backed up with batteries and diesel as necessary. Eventually thermal and water current generator technology may be superior — I am only and architect! :).

Water: - All the current seasteading locations considered have rain from 40 inches to 70 inches each year. Thus the water is obtained by catchment with the storage a function of demand over the dry months — It varies by current seated locations — The catchment water is purified and supplemented with a package desalinization plant.

Sanitation: - There are sanitation treatment plants within current technology and advances in water saving toilets. This is a mature technology being used in remote resorts all over the world.

Bulk Waste: - This is a yet solved problem. Separation and disposal are yet to be resolved. Son sea stead conversion to energy? Transferring to land during the flight-ferry movement of people and provisions? Not solved — Welcome input.

A budget for each of these infrastructure items is provided for in development budget.

In summary: I am working on my prototype in multiple locations. Let me introduce a thought about the micro-choice of location. TSI has not shared very much. I read recently within the Bora Bora reef. I myself reject this as an unaesthetic option imposed on the views form the existing land uses. In the US the reduction of private land values that would occur can be litigated. I myself would not support a highly visible “sea stead.” I have offered TSI multiple alternative locations in Polynesia — Is there more current information? Is there a debate on any forum?

An alternative is sufficiently beyond the 3-mile horizon to conceal the height of the sea stead buildings. I propose 7-miles in principal. All of my prototype locations are bound the horizon for this reason. Thus it is possible to combine the sea stead prototype with utility-scale wind turbines — that are close in enough to the mainland to provide “green” energy while not reducing the value of the on shore residents — Is there support for this notion on this forum?

An alternative is sufficiently remote from the main land as to make the transfer of wind generated energy not cost effective ---- and the need for service staff to be provided accommodations. Are there any thoughts on this? Ted

Good luck. Sounds like floating resorts are going to take over the whole concept. No glamour in farming and feeding the people, so build a floating club-med.

If they pay for feeding the people and running the whole seastead, what’s wrong with that?

Aesthetics is a matter of design and design can be changed according to location.

I agree. No more than 3 decks high. (2 story for y’all landlubbers)

Your supply & transportation costs will skyrocket in the $ millions. My budget for running 1 x 60’ ferry plus 2 x 30’ shuttles from Weston Key West Marina, ONLY 500 YARDS to the Sunset Key was $750,000.00, 10 years ago.

Your construction costs will be much higher. Building to withstand offshore condition will be more expensive than building for inside the reef protected water.

If you plan to eat and (eventually) sell some fish, you better be inside the reef. where fish is much easier to catch in 30’-40’ of water, rather than trawling 7 miles off shore in 3000 ft of water, in my view

Wrong. Trawlers go to deep water not shallows.

(.) #192

And:

Those things sit on the halocline/picnocline/thermocline.
They sink in the upper layer and float in the lower layer, grow algae on their bodies,
and eat that algae.

I failed to see where in the article it says “Trawlers go to deep water not shallows.”

Oh, and GOOD LUCK catching that humongous “from 1 cm and up to 15 or 16 cm in length” fish in 1000 m (that’s a 3000 ft fishing line…really?) of water.

(.) #194

Good luck to you too Octavian.

Here ya go… Happy now?

http://www.nature.com/news/2008/080307/full/news.2008.658.html

(.) #197

(post withdrawn by author, will be automatically deleted in 24 hours unless flagged)

No. You need to trawl to catch fish that deep. You can’t “trawl” on a stationary seastead…But wait, you’ll first have to moor that seastead in 1000 m of water,…first things first.

But I did change my previous statement to: “If you plan to eat and (eventually) sell some fish, you better be inside the reef where fish is much easier to catch in 30’-40’ of water, rather than trawling 7 miles off shore in 3000 ft of water, in my view.”

Then there’s the thing about becoming a Fish Aggregation Device, by being moored there…

But, we’re getting off topic.

(.) #200

I am very happy with that link. Thank you.

(.) #201

Fish aggregation Devices is my favorite subject.

(.) #202

In my humble opinion:
The oil platforms are probably made of steel. So iron is the main part of it.
Salt water corrodes the iron, and saltwater gets higher iron levels.
Even all that paint cannot eliminate corrosion.
As we learned from Russ George; iron ions in seawater make plankton grow.
Plankton feed on each other, and finally fish eats the plankton.
Bigger fish eats the smaller fish. You probably got the idea already.

(Bart Kemper) #203

This just made the news

Rather ironic that Hurricane Harvey is expected to hit right where I wanted to buy and build a hurricane resistant home and shop as an incubator site. Land prices were through the roof, but will drop after this weekend…

That’s way I always insisted on the fact that ALL seasteads should be designed as MOBILE,…

Thing is we need places to build, even to build models and do testing. In addition, we need someone to coordinate routine mail, supply, and grocery delivery.