Jackup Barge Questions to Worldoils.com

(Tom Schaefer) #1

Dear World Oils,

I am a participant in the discussion forums at seasteading.org . You expertise, knowledge, and awareness is sorely missing there. It would be very useful ( a good act for a better future), and perhaps good for your business (in the longer term), if you would comment there when you thought it was useful.

Your ad: http://www.worldoils.com/marketplace/equipdetails.php?id=473

caught my eye because it looks like very close to an ideal set of equipment (minus the oil-related equipment) for a starter seastead. Questions: Is it possible to “jack down” the work barge and have it pushed to a different location, and “Jackup” it on pilings at the new location? Is there a standard cost equation for the pilings in 30 to 100 feet of water? Would you be willing to give a ROM cost estimate for the jackup barge including the equipment in this advertisement that I would be allowed to post at seasteading.org?

Thank you,
Tom Schaefer

The whole point of a jackup rig is to be able to move it and jack it back up.

We’ve discussed them, here in the forum. You cannot just put the spuds anywhere and jack it up. It’s enough of a legal problem that it hasn’t been considered as viable.

(Tom Schaefer) #3

So a lease from a host Government, like French Polynesia, would only be good for a floating, not piling-based seastead? What if it wasn’t jacked up so high as to be an eyesore for land-based neighbors?

It has been the bottom contact that seems to do the environmental damage and opposition, from what has been researched.

In the U S, it is far easier to get a permanent mooring permit, than commercial oil leases that allow the use of spuds.

(Larry G) #5

Depends on who you talk to. I haven’t ruled it out, personally.

(noboxes) #6

This last summer i drove to the GOM to discuss houseboats and where to put them and how to put them there. I spoke to houseboat owners, houseboat park owners, and marine police in two states. The rules were pretty strict and certain about touching the bottom.

Boats are allowed an anchor (or two) on state or federal submerged lands, they are not allowed legs, they are not allowed gravity bottom penetrating anchors, they are not allowed permanent anchor installations, and one mentioned no vacuum-down into-the-mud anchors. Parking with submerged ground tackle to stay in one spot long term is forbidden unless you have a lease from whoever owns the bottom. You can tie up to public land (state parks, nature reserves, etc) in several states as long as you do not touch bottom (i saw people using poles anchored on land to hold the boat away from touching shallow bottom, and cables to keep it from drifting), and you comply with all other laws regarding that land. Your boat must be mobile enough when parked to get out of the way of commercial traffic at all times, if commercial traffic can reach you (“commercial traffic” has been applied more than once to a guy paddling a canoe).

Considering everything that is immobile in the water is considered an obstruction, you need to make a convincing arguement to establish an obstruction to navigation, in order to get a lease. And you must justify it against opposition whenever, and at lease end.

Just my opinion, and not saying it’s good or bad, but a jackup rig is a step away from landfilling to make an island. Which can be good and/or bad.