It's free real estate

(Craig G. Lewis) #27

It’s called an umbilical, yes. 3KVAC Lots of POWER, twisted pairs and fiber optics :slight_smile:

These are some systems that I worked with.

My first ROV Job was to complete strip down and rebuild an entire Perry Slingsby Olympian ROV. The Crew dropped it from about 10’ off the deck. I did not even know what an ROV was before that. lol Two weeks later, all took apart and rebuilt, two weeks later. and it Worked :slight_smile: Not too bad for my first job in the offshore oil and gas industry.

After that, I worked with several Triton XL (Work Class) systems

ROV FMV-40 (Work Class)
Cougar XT 1501 (Light Work Class)

Phantom HD2 ROV (Inspection Class)

and more, been a while :slight_smile:

What the Worl calls that are mostly on a tether Management system due to the operational depths.

This would hold a neutral buoyancy tether (Wire)

and there is a heavy Armoured Umbilical to the lifting winch.

I did see post here for an ROV cleaner.
a better system??

or design one that is better again :slight_smile:

(Craig G. Lewis) #28

Small waves there. The biggest storm was is was 120Kt winds and 22meter ways. I was just glad to be on the drilling rig and not in that supply vessel. lol

(.) #29

What is the max operating depth?

(Craig G. Lewis) #30

All systems are different, due to their construction, but Work class usually 1000 -3000 meters. DEEP

(Chad Elwartowski) #31

Yep, plenty of garbage in waterways (mostly fresh water).

(Craig G. Lewis) #32

OK Mate did you even read this. post. LOL Some people truly don’t have a clue about the world that we live in. NO there is no island “a piece of land surrounded by water” it a term to show the impact of the plastic.

Do you think that when a plastic bottle gets thrown into the ocean that it become instance Microplastic? No, well it ends up in this floating patch of plastic. Try sailing through it?

I hope the intelligence of this blog improves.
Maybe time to change direction.

(.) #33

3KVAC is that 3000 volts AC?

(Chad Elwartowski) #35

“this. post”? Are you referring to “making the Floating Islands, directly on the Garbage patches that cover our world oceans.” or the one of many articles that explains that there is no real island of plastic in the ocean?

Very true.

Correct, though doing a google “islands of garbage” you would be shown many pictures that would imply such a thing.

No. As I said previously “there is a lot of focus on using materials that will not be eaten up by salt water”. Seasteading is about things that will last decades or even centuries. Which, again, is why the focus on here has been on seasteads made of cement. Even then there are many considerations including metal rebar that eventually rusts, etc. Again, over decades.

…this “floating patch” that you want to build directly on top of…

This forum is open to all. The many many people that have come in here asking why we don’t just build a seastead on the floating island of garbage has been numerous. Almost as many people that let us know that there are waves in the ocean.

Not trying to bust your balls here. This has just been covered numerous times on here.

and on and on…

Plastic in the ocean is not a good thing. But building anything on it is not possible.

But if it gets you millions of dollars like that kid who built the big plastic cleaning machine in the ocean, then go for it. Plenty of people believe there’s a big island of garbage in the ocean so whatever works.

(.) #37

Are there any underwater ROVs without wires (umbilical)?

(.) #38

cinder block, cinder block, cinder block

(.) #40

Thank you for smoking!

(noboxes) #41

6 chars

(.) #42

I love you, come back to me!

(Craig G. Lewis) #44

3 phase 3,000V/5-20A occasionally up to 80A

(Craig G. Lewis) #46

REALLY! ROV HPU, submersible, subsea and Rov motors (5hp to 1500hp)

(Craig G. Lewis) #47

Yes there are AUVs autonomous underwater vehicles yet they are mostly for surveillance,

Used mostly for mapping and inspections. Not used to do work, for they do not have the HP, tools, arms to do the work.

Would not be used for cleaning purposes

(Craig G. Lewis) #48

I said “making the Floating Islands, directly on the Garbage patches that cover our world oceans.”

not ON TOP of the Garbage Patch.

(Craig G. Lewis) #49

Your post There is a “Plastic Garbage Island” in the Ocean - Fact or Myth?
There is no visible “plastic island,” or “garbage patch” in the ocean. Instead, large low-density patches of plastic particles are caught in the ocean’s major gyres below the water’s surface

You have too much time

(.) #50

Twenty tons of plastic debris washes up on Midway every year with five tons of that debris being fed to albatross chicks.

Well, if the albatross can pick it up, it cannot be that small.
If it washes up on an island, it could wash up on a floating island.

So about 20 tons a year on the Midway island.

That’s very close to impossible,… How the heck are you gonna “comb” millions of square miles of ocean? It will take $ billions in funding. Who’s gonna “invest” in that?

If so, how can any action “almost impossible” be a “solution”??