It's free real estate

(Alexander Tomasik) #1

I remember seeing this awhile ago but the brilliance of it seemed not to make an impact at the time, but upon reflection I think it’s a viable solution in providing building landmass for those looking to seastead but not having available resources to do anything to elaborate.

Plastic bottles are cheap and probably the best way to create large scale floating barges, the sides could be reinforced with PVC, foam cement or something to keep the islands a certain shape if interconnectivity between islands is sought after.

These land barges could be constructed by the community and different processes on how to go about building them can be devised by trail and error. Buildings can be constructed in various ways but as the video shows they should be lightweight.

In any case I’m not going to be returning my bottles anytime soon. :grinning:

(Alexander Tomasik) #3

Avoid the harsh weather by staying informed with this app…

Eventually get it into the ocean where there’s no laws against it; probably somewhere where it’s warm.

I’m surround by private property where I can’t go to a river that connects to the ocean for a long enough period of time to build the thing; he lives in a place he can build something like that for years without it being a big deal, and it’s warm. I can’t even find a spot of Google maps where it’d be possible to build something like that unless I bought a location that had waterfront access and I don’t even know about the laws yet; I’m sure someone will demand that I give them money or file paper work or put their own particular tinge upon whatever it is that I’m doing.

(Alexander Tomasik) #5

(Alexander Tomasik) #8

(Alexander Tomasik) #10

Faith lol

(Craig G. Lewis) #11

I was just thinking about making an island with recycled plastic :slight_smile:

So any ideas, plans, concepts?

Craig :slight_smile:

(.) #12

Hi Craig;

Lots of ideas. Not all ideas will float in reality.

Logistics is a problem with most ideas.

Best regards;

(noboxes) #13

What a nay-sayer! Poo-pooing everyone’s ideas! Can’t you be supportive for anyone, Spark?!?

(Craig G. Lewis) #14

Ideas are just that.
Without action, they go nowhere. Yet to even get to Logistics, you need Money and or backers.

First, they need to hear the idea.

If it is a good one I find, get taken over, mostly for greed.
Yet maybe things are different here.

Problem 1
Water levels are rising. I see it. Anyone living next to the ocean sees it.

The best place to be would be on the water and be floating. We are not going to stop the waters of the oceans from rising so we better prepare. Maybe if we desalinate water the sea water and flood the deserts, maybe it would slow things down. Yet what happens to the weather patterns?

Problem 2
Oceans are being polluted with plastic and killing the natural systems that keep this place alive. Seaweed I read provides more oxygen, that all the green vegetation on land.

Solution Clean up the ocean plastic.
So capture with this.

or MEGA Seabin like this

The plastic can be recovered and sorted.

Then we can derive the fuel out of some plastics

Plastic for making building blocks, tubes/pipes can be formed for making the Floating Islands, directly on the Garbage patches that cover our world oceans.

These are the building block for the foundation, transportation Hyper Loop Bullet

Then we just build new land where ALL can be Free and part of a Community for Sustainability.

The tech is out there.

I guess now we just need the logistics to make it all happen :wink:

(.) #15

All those ideas are good. I have my own plans to follow.
I do back myself with my own money.
It is nice to have associates who can do the same.
So far, this is it.

Best regards;

ps: more communication is always good

(noboxes) #16

Please include a picture of the Garbage patch you think is best to build on.

(Craig G. Lewis) #17

Well if I had to pick one. I would first need to get data on the one with the most plastic. Then get samples throughout the patch to see what types are there. This would give the best indication as to the types of plastic for recycling.

I personally would go for North Atlantic Gyre, just to say away from the Pacific coast due to radiation from Japan Fukushima nuclear disaster. Don’t eat the fish from the West. East has the best :slight_smile:

Yet seeing that most support may come from North America, either Coast. Yet I watched a video today and seems that most plastic in the ocean is coming from the Philipines, so the West Pacific Gyre.

Now if you want the calmest seas/weather/area then maybe the Indian Ocean Gyre.

In time possibly all 6 will be floating cities. :slight_smile:

(Chad Elwartowski) #18

Hmm…I do believe this is the first time anyone has said this when it comes to seasteading.

Are you sure? Can you give us more insight into this amazing discovery?

(noboxes) #19

No! I cannot!

(.) #20

It is more interesting with dialogs.
So; here is a live web camera stream of Del Mar Beach, San Diego, California, USA

(Chad Elwartowski) #21

The key being that these “islands of garbage” do not exist.

There may be higher concentrations of microparticles of plastic in some areas but no islands as the viral videos would have you believe.

If you follow enough of these threads you will see that there is a lot of focus on using materials that will not be eaten up by salt water (cement being most common). If plastic survived in salt water we would just mass produce huge plastic seasteads cheap and be done with it.

(.) #23

(post withdrawn by author, will be automatically deleted in 24 hours unless flagged)

(noboxes) #24

I agree, no point really in introducing the facts on this “institute’s” website.

(Craig G. Lewis) #25

Hi Elwar Google “islands of garbage” what I see it pretty disgusting, and there is something out there, that is for sure. It beyond Microplastic.

As for the best materials to use, most will break down over time. Even concrete. Yet any and all can be covered with a thin protective layer, Graphene, or LINE-X coating (maybe something more environmental

It’s not about the size of the plastic. Small maybe better for processing. Yet it’s the volumes 269,000 tonnes that are floating in the oceans

This idea/process may be to advance at this time for Seasteading, timeline and getting the first island built. Yet it may be for the future.

I was/am an ROV (Remotely Operated Vehicle) Pilot/tech and this is what we used for buoyancy. It holds up very well in the ocean.

With the right structure (honeycomb) moulds can be made. Foam poured and coated.

For a Locking system create a Polymagnet to desired size and performance required. This will allow for a plug and play, modular system.

If using cement then Aircreate maybe the way to go with added Graphite for strength

No need to reinvent the wheel, when it’s all available now :slight_smile:

(.) #26

Were these ROVs on wire connection?