Is there anyone here, who runs a farm on land?

(.) #21

I think, there are lots of other possibilities. All those other possibilities
are good, and good to consider.
There has to be a starting point. I am trying to find the starting point,
and concentrate on it first. When something stars and gets going, then
anything else is also a yes.
Platform migration, and marketing research, and operation research
are all good, as long as something that started keeps going.

It is good to learn about farming experiences from all of you.

One of the easiest grow-beds is Lasagna Gardening. We’ve done that and had all the old folks in the neighborhood ogling it in amazement.

(Alex Smith) #23

i rember when i was a child, many people use light bulb to hatching chicks, hope that helps

(Alex Smith) #24

i assume you want to developing massive farming on the future platform.

if you want to plant them on soil, check farmbot.org. its the currently buyable solution. (well, but i have a friend who is consider to make a improve solution by using robotic arm).

if you dont insist on growing on the soil, i guess its better to use those aquaponic relevent tech. also fish rising might be an important industry in the near future, why not we rise fish instead of rising chicken or pig?

(.) #25

None of that right now. Just simplicity. Cut kelp, grid kelp, dry kelp,
package it, storage it, and sell it. Rinse and repeat.

(Alex Smith) #26

grind them into dust and use as soil?

(.) #27

To grind it into half a centimeter pieces, dry it and sell as animal feed,
or animal feed supplement.

(Alex Smith) #28

yes, i’d checked some thread on this forum, and get some links showing how to feed your cow using kelp. and it list many nutrition and mineral.

just wondering how much in ratio of the dry material could you get after drying them.
and since it provide many minerals, how can we replenish those mineral into the water? i havnt went to polynesia, but from many of the documentarys, it has very clear sea water which means there’s not too much of nutrition and minerals (well i might be wrong, please correct me)

(.) #29

Weight loss during drying is 90%. So 100kg wet weight drys to 10kg.
I do not think the ocean can be depleted of minerals.

(Alex Smith) #30

thanks for the data, and how much open area do we need for growing these 100kg kelp?

also of course the ocean cant be completely depleted of minerals, but minerals might be too less to support new growing kelp , that’s what i worried about

(.) #31

Minerals go back into the ocean one way or another.
Just like rain water.

I do not know how much area. There are some data.
There was a company in San Diego, Ca, USA that harvested kelp
for commercial reasons to make alginate. There might be some data from
that activity.

Currently there are open fields for kelp harvest in California.
State waters extend 3 miles from shore. It takes a commercial kelp
harvesting license. I think, I can get one.

(Bob LLewellyn) #32

Not if you are serious about raising chicks. You have to keep the temperature at 102 degrees F.38.9 C. You can buy Styrofoam incubators that only hatch a couple of dozen eggs. You will also need to keep the humidity up starting day 18 for chickens so the egg shell will crack easily. You can use a light bulb (low intensity) to check the eggs to see if a chick is growing or the egg is dead by holding the light behind the egg and looking through the shell. It’s called candling.

Now as far as raising live stock on a seastead (other than poultry for eggs) there is a better way. https://plus.google.com/102034637834687695285
scroll down to “How to Raise Quality Meat at Sea” and click on it to open.
Bob

(.) #33

Over complication is an obstacle to success.

(Bob LLewellyn) #34

What was complicated about that? If you want to learn about raising chickens, and you don’t want to lose money doing trial and error, then this is what you need to do. OK, you don’t need to know how to capon roosters. See, I have thought this out a bit because I am seeing some cheap prices on deck barges. The inside of the barge there are braces to strengthen the deck but they get in the way of full usage of the interior. But for raising chickens, it’s perfect. The deck would be free to use any way that suited. Build a home, with a good size yard. Grow a garden.

It’s not complicated but takes a lot of words to describe the picture.

Do you realize how corrosive chicken crap and urine are? Seawater trying to eat the hull from the outside, inward, and chicken wastes from the inside out… Sounds like a disaster begging to happen, to me.

(Larry G) #36

Spark was asking about farms/farmers as a market for his potential product (kelp as animal feed), not about raising chickens on the water.

(.) #37

Yes, that is true. And I am trying to make constructive comments or none.
In case I want to get back to the original idea, I will start another topic tread.

(Alex Smith) #38

any links ? want to check that

(Alex Smith) #39

actually you dont need to worry about the waste, ferment chicken dejecta is always a popular selling in china’s market, i guess the rest of you could use that too.

look its already a commecial product

(Alex Smith) #40

well i am more interesting of rising rish and worms :smiley: