Is there anyone here, who runs a farm on land?

(.) #1

Is there anyone here, who runs a farm on land?

We’re in the midst of setting up a fairly large Winter garden, if that counts… 54 ft by 48 ft with 3 6ft by 28 ft beds… ~504 sq ft of growing space…

(.) #3

Are you going to keep any livestock?

We’re trying to get specific livestock, starting with chickens. Problem is that breeders are not hatching chicks, anymore, this year. They don’t tend to survive Winter. If we’re here next year, we will get chickens, possibly other livestock

(.) #5

How are you going to feed them? Are you planning to buy feed?

Yes, but the chickens we plan on are also foragers. Once we have a routine, where they can be allowed out, they will generally fend for themselves, so it isn’t as much feed as is they were completely cage bound.

(Larry G) #7

I have lived/worked on farms growing up. Fairly extensive experience with family farming and small scale gardening, some with livestock- horses, sheep, goats, cattle, chickens, ducks, geese, & pigs.

I’ve read about rabbits, game birds, llamas, elk, buffalo/crosses, and a bunch of stuff n micro livestock.

(Larry G) #8

For starting out, you can often get layers that are towards the end of productivity for almost nothing. Get a rooster and breed your own chicks for next year. “End of productivity” for commercial layers still has considerable potential for small farmers.

(.) #9

The idea would be to harvest kelp for livestock feed.
To harvest it, dry it, grind it, package it and storage it,
and to put it up for sale as livestock feed.
We might have talked about this before, but here we are again.

Problem is the breed, rather than merely obtaining chickens. Even older layers of this breed that we would find desirable are difficult to find, because broody hens are still desirable for hatching and rearing chicks.

Specifically, we want Buckeyes. They meet all our requirements, are a fairly rare heritage breed, lay brown eggs, excellent foragers, heat and cold tolerant, etc.

(Larry G) #11

there is a different marketing strategy for supplements than for bulk feed. I would put some thought into that.

(Larry G) #12

Also, consider cultured spirulina.

(Bob LLewellyn) #13

Well, actually you will want to answer the question of what do you want the birds for. If it for meat then look on line for meat birds as for laying hens, the best is the high-line variety of the leghorn. Those birds produce almost 400 eggs a year. A good bread that gives a fair amount of brown eggs and also has some meat on its bones is the Road island red or its cousin the New Hampshire Red. They give about 270 eggs per year but will break 5lbs. (by the way, there is no difference between brown eggs and white or blue for that matter.)

Not for the last 50 years or so. We use incubators and brooders for the chicks. I had a 350 chick incubator so every 21 days we had another 300+ chicks. Half of them are going to be males so they get fattened up for market. There is a way to slide a hook knife under their skin on their leg and basically castrate them. This make them grow fast and full. You will need one rooster per every 10 hens that you have producing fertile eggs. Hens will lay just as many eggs without a rooster but the eggs will not hatch. So what happens to the old chickens? They become cat and dog food. At one time we had almost 5000 chickens. That was a full time job.

One other hint, get an automatic eggs washer. If you don’t just remember that I told you so when you begin to hate eggs with a passion.
Bob

You’re not looking at the breeds for the same reasons. These are meat and egg birds, reasonably self sufficient, and the broody hens are desirable, especially in the rare breeds.

Real, yard birds, not caged grain-fed crap for market, you CAN taste the difference in the egg types. We’ve had Cuckoo Marans, Amerauricana, and others. Even ducks. I know that good, healthy poultry produce distinctive flavored eggs.

I’ve eaten then fried, after cracking them still warm from the hen. You can’t scare me… LOL

(Bob LLewellyn) #15

There is a difference between duck eggs and chicken. Some people can’t eat duck eggs because of the strong flavor. I like them but I was raised with them. The big difference in eggs is the freshness. By the time factory eggs hit the market they may be 4 or 5 weeks old. No problem for safety but they lose their flavor setting in a cooler. There is one other factor, I watch what my chicken eat because whatever they eat, ends up in the egg. If you’re tasting a difference in fresh eggs, look to see what they have been eating.

BTW, I’ve eaten raw eggs.

Fresh Duck eggs make for amazing cakes, cake-like cookies and such.

I use raw eggs in breakfast ‘shakes’, when I’m on that kick, as well as homemade ice cream.

(Bob LLewellyn) #17

I figured you’d catch on. Every teenage male that wants to build bulk drank eggnog for breakfast.

(.) #18

Also this and also that.
It is not for those who know it, it is not for those who need it,
it is not for those who want it.
It is for those who do it.

(.) #19

And the marketing strategy:
A product has to be developed first.
I can market all I want, if no product, then no sale.

Never did as a young buck. Not so much about bulking up, as protein and nutrients in readily absorbed form.