Is Seasteading a path to Crime Reduction?

(John McCone) #1

Crime is essentially a form of parasitism that is only viable due to the proximity of hosts. A criminal can only profit if there are victims to profit from. The lack of mobility of housing stock today means that if hardworking people live in an area where burglers and robbers are present which break into their house and steal their car, since the cost of moving is prohibitively high they may choose to stay and tolerate it.

In the case of a modular seastead, if the seastead had a crime problem, hardworking people and businesses could detach found a new seastead on a new piece of water and establish an immigration system that didn’t allow anyone without a clean police record in. This would leave the old seastead full of robbers with no one to rob from!

I wonder if the existence of this option for floating infrastructure could dramatically reduce the prevalence of crime in watery environments?

(stephen russell) #2

I say Yes.
Seasteads have these benefits:
Close or far from shore.
Supplies shipped in, some produced on site.
Everyone applying for Colonist is Screened.
Thus the crime problem could be alas Tourists to site or Kin of colonists.
Need a 2001 style immigration kiosk to screen colonists ashore prior taking shuttle to Seastead.

Colonies would need CCTV array in key locales for Security.
Seasteads involved in Salvaging & treasure hunting would be most prey to criminals for wealth below.
Or mining ores.

I say Screen Everyone prior being a Colonist & hope said Cruise Line, airline Screens those touring Seasteads.
Need a Seastead Immigration Bureau to adopt Uniform regs for Entry as Colonist to Seasteads.
& same ca apply to Space colonies.

Crime can be reduced since:
Everyone knows everyone.
Pre screening.
CCTV array
800 # ph to call for anything odd seen on Seastead.
Contact local shore LE forces if warranted.
Nothing of value on board?
Each Seastead has a Jail /Brig lockup center to house up to 50 persons IF warranted.

I seriously doubt it, if you’re talking about cruise ships full of people. IMHO, people running from society often have other troubles they are running from, as well. Cruise ships a notorious for NOT reporting crime and disease, as well. Under-reporting events is not the same as being lower in crime and disease problems…

CRIMES AND MEDICAL CARE ON BOARD
CRUISE SHIPS: DO THE STATISTICS FIT
THE CRIMES?
Leticia M. Diaz, Barry Hart Dubner, and Nicole McKee±

“2014 Cruise Ships…
The present day poses different problems than in the past. The
intention of this article is to explore crimes that affect passengers on
cruise ships from outside the ship; crimes committed on board the
ship; the lack of universal medical standards; worrisome medical
malpractice concerns; as well as, to offer suggestions for the benefit
of both the passengers and the cruise lines. As this article will show,
the cruise ship industry has not been forthcoming when making all
available statistics public.5 Specifically, there has been a lack of
reporting from the industry of certain criminal activity and illness
outbreaks on board the ships. By failing to make this information
available to the public, consumers cannot make informed decisions
about whether or not to set sail on a particular cruise line.”

www.luc.edu/media/lucedu/law/students/publications/clr/pdfs/27-1/2)%20Crimes-Diaz.pdf

(John McCone) #4

A cruise ship isn’t composed of modular units that can independently be detached. So people living on a cruise ship are pretty much stuck with whoever else is on board. Just like on land. If houses, places of work, shops and other infrastructure can be independently detached then that gives the victims of crime a much more realistic option of disassociating themselves from criminals.

Also cruise ships are mostly composed of short stay tourists who don’t have a large stake in investing effort into solving problems like crime aboard the ship. I suspect the case for residents might be different.

But your point does raise the issue that the architectural design of a seastead will have profound effects on the social dynamics likely to occur inside it (crime, etc.)

(Matous Horal) #5

strongly disagree. government is, from a certain perspective, a form of parasitism. “crime” is a symptom of badly designed environment. a byproduct of life existing in an environment where “crime” is a viable, and for some necessary, way of survival within a framework that does not let you escape.
speaking on a general level of course. on a personal level, from a perspective of a white male living in a developed country (speaking for myself, not pointing at you), you might be right. it is important to have an understanding of the bigger picture. some parts of the society are just being molded for crime careers by system design. one of the points of seasteading is to make this finally obsolete and design something better.

(Matous Horal) #6

exactly; and not just architectural.

(Larry G) #7

Not necessarily. Crime is simply predation in the absence of countervailing influence. Are wolves criminals when they kill deer?

Predation is a natural instinct and viable means of living. Intra-species predation is even baked into the DNA of some species- Mantis females and many female spiders eat their mates.

There are better ways to ensure the propagation of one’s genes, but this one is effective enough to have not disappeared even in the developed world among unprecedented surplus.

(Matous Horal) #8

nope, but wolves are not living in an environment designed to deny the fact that they are an animal in order to feel more like a wolf. humans, on the other hand, do exactly that :slight_smile:
Of course not even the smartest designer (eh) can eradicate all crime, but having less “poverty” helps. And ultimately, I hope seasteading can help reducing poverty, more “land” to work for the landless, whose ways of life was destroyed by life and time itself, rolling over each other forward for eternity…

well, I am sorry for getting all philosophical, but then again, the topic is fairly wide here :slight_smile: seasteading is hopefully a path to a society where crime will be less prevalent than in the lobby halls of main power centers of today. the issue is how to make such a future that would not encourage human and animal suffering to happen.

(Jordan) #9

Maybe for some kind of crime, but wherever seasteaders go, there is a possibility of pirates.

I think the real reason why crime could go down is because we could experiment with polycentric law, restorative justice, not prosecuting “victimless crimes” etc.