Investment strategies

(Mariusz) #1

If, or when seasteading becomes reality, or when the first floating cities are created, some companies will see tremendous growth. Are there any companies on the stock market right now that are worth investing into right now?

Ellmer pretends to offer, but has no publicly traded stocks, or bonds to back his claims. Pyramid scheme, at best…

(Mariusz) #3

I’m talking about real stocks, preferably with dividends:)

I hear the CEO of one of the largest floating platform operations is about to become secretary of state for the largest naval power. Can’t be bad for the company.

Exactly my point. Ellmer has none. In another thread, he tried to claim high returns, but has nothing on the market as evodence.

(Matous Horal) #6

Well, I hope that STI will use the negotiated SEZ to attract investors, since for the first time in history there is actually a surface available to create a micronation. It has the potential to become an incubator for startup societies.

(Thibaut Labarre) #7

Here’s a start:

Cruise lines: RCL, NCLH
Algae production for food and biofuels: XON, CYAN, TVIA
Offshore platform engineering: CKH

I started consolidating these in a Motif: https://trader.motifinvesting.com/motifs/seasteading-Guj1qz72#/overview
Looking for more suggestions to add!

(Chad Elwartowski) #8

One of the big difficulties of getting investments in seasteading startups is that there are many rules preventing US citizens from investing in something unless they are an accredited investor (make over $250k for 3 years, have over $1 million, etc). So the company would need to go through SEC procedures to get onto some sort of stock exchange that has intermediaries that allow for smaller investors to invest. The fact that a seastead is pretty international means it is even more difficult for compliance.

(Larry G) #9

This is why I promote the worker owned cooperative. Not subject to the SEC problem. It’s a different form of ownership, not meant to be publicly traded. Not meant to be traded at all really, although ways exist for people to come and go from the cooperative and maintain or liquidate their ownership stake. The main difference is, you have to be involved in the co-op, not just a passive investor.

(Bob LLewellyn) #10

Of course there are private offerings that are not regulated by the SEC but since they are private, it’s hard to find out about them. However, I look at all stocks, even even the ones that pay dividends as speculative. I prefer safety over profits but I can get 12% a year from the forex market without worrying about the company going under.

If you would like to see my results from 2008-2009 go here http://thesafeinvestor.com/download/
then click on historical results. It is a zip file that has 15 monthly broker reports zipped up. You will find more than 3000 trades and a very low loss rate.

What you should take away from that is the same mind that could invent a robot that can do that, is also working on the Marinea project. But to talk about investing, you have to be a member first, then as a club member with added benefits, like investment training for example, then we could discuss how programs, robotic or more investment type, work.
Bob

(Larry G) #11

There are hundreds of online resources available on how to start a co-op as well as national and international organizations devoted to promoting worker-owned enterprises.

True.

No. There are no publicly traded seasteading related companies right now. The only seasteading related company worth investing right now is Blue Frontiers, in my opinion.

(Thibaut Labarre) #13

Another Aquaculture stock that I added to the motif: https://omegaprotein.com/ and https://finance.yahoo.com/quote/OME/

(Bob LLewellyn) #14

Have to disagree with that one. I’m in the ocean colonization business and I don’t even know all the companies out there working on various aspects of seasteading. I take it that the statement was meant as an insult to the Marinea Project, but in a lot of ways, we are ahead of Blue Frontiers. Be that as it may, everyone is entitled to his own opinion.
Bob

(Wilfried Ellmer) #15

How would anybody on this forum be able to have a “qualified and educated opinon” on that ?

Who can have an overview of all ocean colonization related projects around the globe and is sitting in the boardrooms of all the teams currently working on that.

I know for sure of at least a dozend teams (i am advisor to some) who have “serious projects in the pipeline” and would definitly be worth to invest in (in my opinion).

But i will not name them to avoid make this thread a “umpa lumpa talk” about who has the best project…

What you should do is starting your own investigations…instead of taking for certain what some random persons (out of 7,5 billion) say on a forum…

Why not start by googling up the term “seasteading invest”…

I would look for a company that is doing something that nobody else does… has a grip on the core technology, capacity and potential… if any of the “here mentioned” has this quality or not - that would already be a decision you have to make on base of your personal opinion…

Ask yourself what is the core of their business. If your answer is “drumming up money to buy a rusty barge” or leading a media spectacle, or apply boring off the shelf tech, you should ask yourself if this is investment worthy according to your universe of ideas…

Work Hypothesis: Seasteading is about business opportunities, key people, technology clusters, global networking, and the ocean colonization bottleneck, …not about “single out a project”… and argue about unfunded random opinions…

You might read my discourse on what investors (in general) are looking for (ref) based on my experience in several boardrooms - the conclusion is that you want effect B instead of effect A, you want a progress on the evolutionary line, instead of pointlessness…

context:

The investment stategies of people like Steve Jurvetson are quite different from the investment strategies of a gray suited bank manager …so what you look at as an investor - depends a lot on who you are.

context:

The big five business fields of ocean colonization: | oceanic transport | oceanic energy | oceanic real estate | deep sea mining | oceanic aquaculture |

The four fundamental quests of ocean colonization : | The quest for interference freedom | The quest for mobility | The quest for oceanic resources | The quest for space on the planet |

Meta Topics:

Axes of ocean colonization: | Main Axes | Plate Seastead | Floating Real Estate | Catamaran concept | Captain Nemo Concept | Floating Breakwater Concept | Submerged Living Space Bubble Concept |
Concepts: / Lens shell pictures overview / / Ramform floating home pictures / / c-shell floating home pictures / / Floating concrete building methods / / shell cluster pictures / / investor proposal list /

You can take it as you will, but it wasn’t. At the time of the comment I was not familiar with the Marinea Project progress.

Buying the ex. “Fisherman’s Paradise” could be a good start, if you can raise the $15 Mil. Still, there are much cheaper boats out there that could qualify as your initial base of operation.

Only $550k. http://commercial.apolloduck.us/feature.phtml?id=519374

Heck of a deal. With another $1 Mil in refit, you’re good to go.

Of course, in my opinion.

They asked, specifically about publicly traded… Not Elmo’s Scams…

(Larry G) #18

Exactly. There are a plethora of used vessels that would make a decent seastead, available for refit for much cheaper than $15 million dollars. Available for prices that would make an employee-owned co-operative feasible without having so many people involved that no consensus can be built. Without certified angel investors or SEC involvement.

I totally agree. plus 20 whatever

(Larry G) #20

This is a lake facility but interesting nonetheless from the point of view of investment, gaining investors, and comparison of costs to construct:

FLOATING MARINA [at Antelope Point, Lake Powell AZ]

The marina began to take shape in 2004 with the private houseboat slips and fuel dock. The private slips now number 90, with another 52 coming in by August toward a total buildout of 300. The floating platform was assembled [in 2006] and opened this spring. It measures 27,000 square-feet, weighs 5 million pounds and cost $7.5 million.

http://antelopepointlakepowell.com/

http://www.floatingstructures.com/gallery/commercial-structures/antelope-point/

@ForexBob @tamenta