Introduction - Dubai Floating Island Project in Progress - Designer

(Ali) #42

Hello Matias, thank you
I couldn’ t get it please clarify. Do you mean, if we use traditional landfill method for Polynesia instead of floating concrete foundations for 1000km transportation distance what will happen?

(Matias Volco) #43

@Aliduman, I was pointing to the delicate appproach in the ongoing land reclamation in the video above (where even the sand comes from pretty far away)

obviously in the last example, environmental factors played as big a role as economical or even technological.

(Nick Gencarelle) #44

Many sites I have seen over the years that were filled in lands and then built upon had problems with settling years later. Compacting that much soil would be a difficult thing to do. Not a natural piece of land it will be prone to streams finding their way underground and then sinkholes. Catastrophic.

(Wilfried Ellmer) #45

I think it is a kind of consensus that the concept of landfill is reaching its limits on most of the global coastlines for a variety of reasons.

• Ambient concern and regulation

• Sand lack | imported sand | singapore sandwars | liquid real estate |

• Exponential cost increase with water depth - exceeding the cost of floating structures at many sites already.

• Setting and erosion problems where the concept is pushed to its limits

• Lack of shallow areas that are suitable for landfill projects

Postulate: We may have reached the point where it becomes equally feasible and economic to build a floating structure instead of landfill in most cases of coastal development. The concept of landfill in general is reaching its limits .

Postulate: The concept that will replace landfill projects in a near future is floating structures, and the future is here today. Other than landfill floating structures are not on their limit what we see today is merely the biginning of the next BIG THING TO COME in real estate.

Picture 1 | Going from landfill to floating structures means basicly this - for the real estate developer. Hopping into a new aquarium full of unlimited possibilities much less competed.

Picture 2 | A oceanic infrastructure hub like | Khalifa | 7,2 billion investment | might be better designed as a floating structure instead of landfill …

Picture 3 | Japan is planning for floating airports already…

Picture 4 | floating construction site | no shipyard needed |

P.K Mehta might be right after all... the 21st century will be dominated by concrete sea structures... a monster real estate paradigm shift is comming...what we see in Dubai, Monaco and Singapore is the tip of the emerging iceberg.

| Real Estate Paradigm Shift | oceanic business alliance | oceanic real estate | floating real estate | |

• Who will be the drivers, the investors, the key players, in this business opportunity…

(Ali) #46

@matias even sand comes from pretty far away continiously working will be difficult. For 1000km=620mile distance; if we assume that average speed of transport vehicle 10mile/hour; it will take 620/10=62hour, more than 2 days. So you need to many vehicles to work continiously, it will be an expensive method. On the other hand, weather conditions will be very important. generally weather forecast accurate for max. 3 days, you can face with worse weather conditions. Additionally, if you install material to vehicle, suppliers never prefer to wait with loaded positions during storm, worse weathers conditions, again problem. Cost issue, depends on project site, country etc. Maybe you can not find enough nos of vehicle around project area, mobilisation fees will be to expensive

(Ali) #47

Hello @Matias My reply is a part of answer for your question?

(Gerd Weiland) #48

Dear Sir, thank you for your explicit introduction and your offer to contribute your esteemed qualifications concerning the design of those concrete floating structures which you developed in the U.A.E.
I am quite sure the current trend within the T.S.I. will greatly value this contribution. However Sir, please allow me to make a few observations regarding the overall content of your introduction and the implications therein, which you imply could benefit the Seastead movement in general.
(1,2,3,4) The floating structures in the form you are presenting, are at best very expensive houseboats (as pictured) which require a very sheltered water environment in which to be safely positioned. This limitation does not by any stretch of the imagination fulfill the requirements of a viable safe offshore floating Seastead. Or as with the concept (Floating Venice Island) remain until now and in this context entirely theoretical. The offshore environment that your designs were intended to be applied, are in the shelter of the artificial rock breakwaters which have been positioned for this purpose in front of the Dubai shoreline. Palm Jumeirah being the most modest one of the three visions dreamed up by the Prince of Dubai Rashid Al Maktoum and to date the only one “operational”. The design flaws involved in these artificial constructions range from insufficient water circulation between the breakwaters and sheltered artificial “rainbow sprayed” sandy islands behind, resulting in clouded stagnant water devoid of marine life, an increasing settling process of the heavy constructions already built upon the sheltered sandy palm shaped inlets, let alone through sand liquification through constant seismic activity in this earthquake region. The pristine beaches in front of my beach front hotel were often off limits through the visual sewage carried there by new water currents. The other two–( Palm Deira-Palm and Jebel Ali ) remain a very expensive ecological disaster for the local marine environment in general and only a fraction has been developed to date. (5) The “Seabed reclamation” you and your marine biologists wish to develop in your “fast growing coral nurseries” (NOT) is a desperate remedy dreamed up by the main contractors Nakheel P.R. department to compensate for the complete destruction of the many thousand year old local coral formations and marine habitat which have been buried by the vast sediment transportation problem resulting from this gigantic construction folly. (6) The massive marine construction works you refer too have resulted in new channels of sediment transportation along the coast line with comprehensive negative consequences for the marine habitat as any local fisherman will attest to. (7,8) Despite the dedicated team of naval architects, even this first step of your proposal i.e an excavated dry dock remains to my knowledge as much theory as most of this in the mean time abandoned “Palm deira world islands” let alone the Palm Jebel Ali “universe”. Excuse my frank and direct response to your proposition which derives from my personal experience in this matter. I was commissioned by a German Company in 2008/9 to supervise a planned Ring-Web application for a sediment stablization system in Palm Jumeirah and adjacent coast lines around Dubai which could resolve the beach sand erosion problem at that time. The construction of all of these artificial islands proved to be a marine engineering miscalculation of catastrophic proportions, which was and still does question the viability of all associated concrete construction developments, as you may well know. Unfortunately despite the proven advantages of this new Ring-Web Up-cycle technology i was introducing, over the existing engineering methodology available to address the erosion problems which i alluded too and the positive resonance from the international sub contractors involved. The collapse of global financial institutions at this very moment, with the associated cancellation of most Nakheel contracts prevented me from completing my intentions.