Intended Incubator Site as Complete Support Base of Operations for the Gulf of Mexico

(noboxes) #337

Look, they did NOT pave the ENTIRE rampway the boat travels on:

(Larry G) #338

This is entirely do-able. Expensive, and unnecessary for launching a floating vessel tho. This is done for the comfort of tourists, not for an engineering purpose.

Regardless, USCG, National and State laws and regulations will be in effect. All new launches will be registered, inspected, etc., per legal requirements.

Currently, the concept is for concrete piers and a stabilized gravel-bedded ramp. Piers for use with a Mobile Gantry Crane, gravel ramp for trailer loading and unloading.

(noboxes) #341

I disagree. A solid tapered wooden shoe , 15 degrees, to take the slope out of the ramp, would skid down just as easily as the houseboat did, and keep it level, and take off less bottom paint. Could even put rollers on it, make it easier to retrieve a houseboat.

(.) #342

To me, the whole discussion is interesting. I did not think about boat ramps, and launching,
because so far I just used a dock. I came to a point, that to decrease cost, I would keep a
small boat (23’) in my backyard on a trailer, transport it to the water and launch it.
I got a vehicle with a hitch, and I am getting into buying a boat on a trailer. That seems to
be the next step for me. I am interested about a pro and cons of launching.
I read both of your comments and makes me think of thing I did not consider yet.
It is a good thing.

…, but they aren’t launching the way I have planned, either. A Mobile Gantry Crane solves that whole roller/wedge/trailer problem by doing it with slings and lowering into the water, nice and level.

Yes, I’m in discussions with a Gantry Crane company, have specs on the footing they recommend, etc.

(Larry G) #344

Which is not too expensive, and should be easy to permit.

Which is generally considered to be the responsibility of the builder/owner, not the yard. I wouldn’t get hung up on that as the host of the place.

Indeed. I am highly skeptical that Jeff will get a significant grant. Which is why I encourage him to be rigorous about a business plan with stages.But if he doesn’t plan with the end in mind, the likelihood of blocking his own future progress with a short-term expediency goes WAY up.And “sound proof” is neither practical nor required, in all likelihood. Sound mitigation through design and quiet hours should do just fine. He’s not actually requesting a residential variance, he’s proposing to put a business, in a business park, NEXT TO a residential space.

He’s at the concept and proposal stage, not the design stage. I encourage thinking it through in terms of requirements rather than specifications at this point.

Honestly, I have no idea what the hell is going on here. That doesn’t look much like a boat launch, it’s got a fence across the top and no loading mechanism to get a boat from a trailer to the slides. It looks more like personnel steps. It’s got the concrete canal walls sticking up above the slipway(?) structure high enough that I can’t picture what kind of car gets past it to lower a boat into the canal. If it is for launching canal boats, it’s a compromise due to keeping the on land launch facility to the smallest possible footprint. Which is not Jeff’s biggest issue by a long shot. Sometimes ships are launched from side-ways slipways like that, rather than stem or stern orientation. It’s got unique issues with roll that way.

(noboxes) #345

But i can imagine it, i can picture a set of cars traveling the black rails on the outside edges of the grey “steps”, to pick up the boat and keep it flat level and get it out of the water. Why they did it in that location, i do not know, but it resembles a bare-bones lifesaving station. I am very surprised they got permission to bust thru the concrete wall, so i am thinking it is some gov installation.

I was addressing launching flat and level, and steepness.

(.) #346

There might be more equipment to this, that is not on the picture.
The fence might be removable, I would guess.

(Larry G) #347

One picture in the series has the house on pavement on wooden dunnage.

This picture has it on a set of engineered steel trusses. Just sitting in the water full time? I don’t think so. The house is on a mechanism, not just a ramp. Probably one with a dynamic tilt control to lower it into the water. The description has it (presumably the structure) at 4 tons. (Disregard, they’re talking about 4 tons HVAC capacity)

And 15 degrees is suddenly ok? How many degrees is the tilt in this picture, given angles and perspective? 20? The steel trusses are perfectly parallel to the concrete base, most likely for the entire width. It’s not tilting or dropping anywhere…

(noboxes) #348

It’s not ok with me for that two-story house. Sure, 20 would be fine for a boat that won’t take on water thru open portholes, etc… I put a protractor on it, it measures 15. I still imagine that doorway going under before the cassion begins floating up. And i am concerned when that happens, the weight of the house will be on the portion of cassion floating, and the edge still on the ramp.

(Larry G) #349

Look closely: there is some kind of mechanism under there for making it move, looks like a railcar. On the green rail, not the outer, yellow rail in the foreground.

(noboxes) #350

I see the green rail, but canot see what’s under the cassion. However, if there is something more complex than skids, that’s all the more reason the house need not be at 15 degrees.

(Larry G) #351

And require more draft. Jeff’s biggest constraint in this location will be draft of the vessel and depth in the bay close to shore. The longer his ramp is, the gentler he can slope the launch. Or as pointed out, use some solid concrete runners under the travel lift wheels and launch flat.

(Larry G) #352

They may have other constraints for space. And with nothing in it, there’s really no reason not to tilt it. It’s not even close to a tipping point. It must have the vast majority of its weight in the caisson, making it’s center of gravity extremely low, with a very wide base.

(noboxes) #353

I was addressing the 15 degree two-story houseboat launch.

Have you never seen the effect of having two sets of rails under a car, the front axle wheels on one set and the rear axle wheels on the other set? The rails can be placed so the car remains level even as the car travels up one side of the hill, over the top, and down the other side, with no controls, no hydraulics, no electrical system.

As for Jeff, when the car carrying the boat is level at the bottom of the river, the rails are the same height too, so maybe a foot total above the river bottom.

And no good reason to tilt it.

(Larry G) #354

One thing that could be a work-around for a shallow launch site is extra, temporary flotation. If you can lunch a very wide, reasonably shallow draft vessel with some float bags attached to it, you might be ale to keep the keel off the bottom until it’s in deeper water. You could also outfit the interior on the water, getting it out further before adding all the interior ballast. If it is properly planned for ahead of time.

(Larry G) #355

= assumption.

There is quite probably a very expensive reason not to do it differently.

(noboxes) #356

= assumption.

Play fair.

(Larry G) #357

One of these assumptions is far more reasonable than the other. Mine was stated as a probability, yours as a certainty.

But no, I don’t have any more information than you do on that point.