Intellectual Property on Seasteads

Of all the time I’ve been interested in seasteading, one topic that is seldom discussed is the implications of intellectual property on seasteads both in the near and distant future. While video game companies and film studios may not be the most conventional ideas for businesses on seasteads, there’s still the question of how IP will apply and what the effects might be for the global entertainment and tech industries.

I’m dissatisfied by how copyright is stagnating the entertainment industry by creating centralized oligopolies where companies are unlikely to take risks and have no incentive to produce quality content, as they have consumer bases that’ll buy their works regardless of quality since they’re the sole proprietors of certain ideas. Seasteading could be a viable solution to initiating an artistic and technological renaissance in which consumers base their decisions not on who’s selling product X, but on who’s selling the best product X. Such is the mentality of consumers of the restaurant and fashion industries.

I’m uncertain as to whether or not French or French Polynesian IP laws would apply to the first seastead. But as for large seasteads built in international waters, it’s possible we could be seeing a drastic paradigm shift in how certain kinds of businesses operate sometime in the future.

(Wilfried Ellmer) #2

@XanderMaxim
Very interesting topic you bring up here.

I can imagine a open code seastead - purpose dedicated to generate a renaissance by means of a dedicated colaborative community regulated only by consented open source ethics…

After all it is a meta purpose of Seasteading to unleash potential of all kind.

context: | special purpose seasteads | seasteads with a specific role |

(Chad Elwartowski) #3

In International waters you would likely have to rely upon technology to protect your IP instead of police/guns/jails.

Some artists have moved to using the blockchain to verify their physical art

These will be some interesting discussions once we are on a seastead in the transition between protected harbors and moving out to open waters.

(Larry G) #4

I would rather create massively distributed value than artificial scarcity. But that’s just me.

How does everyone feel about Intellectual Property?

(Matias Volco) #6

So am I, very much so, and I do believe video game companies and whatever future holds for the film industry would be some of the obvious tenants of the office space available in a cool, affordable international free tropical environment connected at arms lengths to some macro infrastructure iike a backbone internet cable and international airport.

(Jordan) #7

I bet if people encourage addressing the issue, French and French Polynesian IP laws won’t apply (at least they SHOULDN’T apply) because we’ll be in a special economic zone, and I’m hoping that we’ll get freedom to handle those things how we want.

I agree with your concerns.

(Jordan) #8

I think this is a great idea though.

(Jordan) #9

What’s intellectual property? /s

(Jordan) #11

Hi JL_Frusha, that was a joke. I meant that I think there’s no such thing. “/s” is a Reddit/online symbol for sarcasm. Thanks for the info though! Ha.

Not a regular Reddit user, though I have an account.

(Jordan) #13

My bad, ha. I was just saying in a stupid way that I don’t think intellectual property is real.

(Larry G) #14

But in fact, knowledge is the basis of our current wealth as a species. The natural resources of the world are nearly nothing without it.

People who make statements like this are fish talking about the theoretical existence of water. We’ve all grown up in a world with some protection providing incentive for inventors to share their discoveries. A world entirely without this would be very different.

This is not to say that the way we’re currently applying the concept is optimal. Digital knowledge and property transfer requires updating the paradigm to account for the technical means and the potential for massively distributed profit potential. I personally find that the times I am most tempted to violate IP is when the entity providing the software, media, or whatever are charging exorbitant prices more relevant to bygone ages. When an e-book costs the same as a physical book, it pisses me off. It’s almost always because of third parties and brokers of some kind.

(Jordan) #15

I disagree. When I say intellectual property rights aren’t real, what I’m saying is that it is not a real, intrinsic, inalienable right. Sure, the law makes intellectual property rights real in effect, but there’s a difference between what rights a law says people have, which is changeable and not necessarily based on any sound logic, and what actual rights people have, where they have a moral or ethical RIGHT about something.

Your argument about the fact that we’ve all grown up with protection providing to inventors etc is like saying that we could never build roads without government. We’ve all grown up with government roads, and thinking of anything else is difficult. That doesn’t mean there’s not a better way nor does it mean that it’s impossible.

I sympathize with your frustration on e-book prices etc.

I think the misconception is that IP is solely owned by one person, or company, group, etc. IP rights have to do with the commercial profit of using IP. The originator has commercial protection, if they enforce it, say by copyright, etc.

Take the Ramform hull design and parameters, for instance. It’s Patented, and has a registered trademark, even for the name ‘Ramform’. I can apply everything in that patent, and legally build a Ramform vessel, without permission, or the approval of Roar Ramde, or PGS, and plan to. What I CANNOT legally do, is produce it as a commercial product.

Whether or not it will have any intrinsic resale value is immaterial. I am not producing a commercial product. How I APPLY the USE of the hull is only important if it becomes a commercial use, related to the intended commercial uses, listed in the patents.

I have no intention whatsoever of making and selling hulls, using it as a survey vessel, or FPSO. My own purpose is as a residence, and potentially farming at sea.

Anyone can copy and build a barn, house, etc. However, if there is commercial production of that design, then there is the potential infringement on IP rights.

This is one of the arguments I had with Wil Elmer, some time ago. I’ve done my digging. I know MY application is NOT what everyone is dancing around, in this topic, but it’s a good example of IP rights, and what they are/are-not.

(Larry G) #17

Sure it is, if I create it, and choose not to share it. You can’t torture or otherwise compel me to disclose it. The point of copyright and patent is to encourage sharing. Many things remain trade secrets, especially when protection for IP is worn thin and weak.

In this discussion, too many people forget that an alternative exists to law protecting IP. Secrecy is the other thing.

(Jordan) #18

I agree with your conclusion wholeheartedly, but that’s because it’s just property when you alone possess it. Intellectual property rights imply the right to control what happens to the property after it’s “released into the wild”, so to speak.

I agree though, a person has every right to keep an invention or creative creation to himself through use of secrecy or other methods, and it’s not ok to try to steal it, or torture him to get it. Because that’s property in his possession.

(Larry G) #19

It’s a good point, but if a contract is written on how you will use information shared with you, then contract law takes over in extension to property law. for example, you’re a pharmacist, I’m a doctor. I share certain information with you about a patient’s health in order to enable you to provide a service to them. We have a contract (currently covered by HIPAA regulations) about privacy and information usage. This is intellectual property: it belongs to the patient, and is generated by the doctor under contract to the patient, and finally used in a limited license by the pharmacist.

(Jordan) #20

That’s a good point, and most media today has contract law associated with it. However, lets take internet piracy, for example. Are the pirates violating that contract? I don’t think they are, though I’m not an expert.