I'm a Ship Officer interested in TSI, Specially on its Maritime Management and Ship Operation

(Richard Dean Medalla) #1

Hello Seasteading Community :slight_smile:
I’m Richard Dean Medalla, a Filipino, 3rd Officer on board Merchant Ships, currently taking my Masters Degree in Maritime Management, A Maritime School simulator instructor and also a startup Founder on Maritime Edutech.

I’m Interested to know and if possible to take part and grow with The Seasteading Institute. Seeing that Seasteading will be a floating city utopia and will heavily rely on Merchant Ships importing and exporting goods that will be at times exotic to the facility grown products. I’m interested and concerned about it’s Maritime law and management. I hope someone can entertain me on the following questions:

1. Will Seasteading have it’s own take on Maritime Laws or will base its own under normal statutory laws such as UNCLOS and ILO,IMO regulations?
  2. Will the Floating nation have its own line of Shipping fleet with its own Flag stat?
  3. Will Seasteading have its own Maritime Foundation such as Maritime Schools and Merchant Marine Academies such as Military and Naval schools?
  4. Will it take part in Exporting it’s own goods and will be open to the Global market?
  5. Is there any Overseas Shipping Development Act or any National decree on Shipping already established? if so, is it accessible now for review?
  6. How does one start with being a formal member of the TSI?

These will be my base questions, hoping that some of them gets answered as i want to be a part of this Movement and learn the system of TSI regarding Maritime commerce and navigation. Seeing that the neighbouring country the Philippines can supply the Seasteading fleet of ships with Filipino Seafarers and contribute to its growth. thank you for taking the time to have read the following.

Thank you…

Welcome to the forum. Have a good look around. The search function can lead you to most areas of interest, but regulations from here are purely speculative. Also, you may find additional information in the Archived Old Forum.

The forum itself is a place mostly of discussion and speculation. There are some that may try to lure you to other websites and attempt to demand funds. I was a victim, and try to warn people.

As yet, TSI is in discussions to create a zone within the EEZ of French Polynesia. Their chosen design hasn’t been built, but it seems to rely entirely on imported goods and transportation for waste disposal. It may have various forms of renewable energy, though that, too, is speculation, at this stage.

(Bob LLewellyn) #3

I haven’t heard of people luring anyone anywhere or charging money, please send me a private post and let me know what I’ve been missing. Now as to the questions, I can answer for the Marinea Project but not for all seasteads.

Question Will Seasteading have it’s own take on Maritime Laws or will base its own under normal statutory laws such as UNCLOS and ILO,IMO regulations?
Answer Marinea will be set up as a Libertarian government which believe that less is greater when it comes to a bunch of stupid laws. We will have to fallow the conventions of the open sea of course but don’t feel compelled to make any others.

Q; Will the Floating nation have its own line of Shipping fleet with its own Flag stat?
A: Marinea is a pilot project to provide a proof of concept but phase two is to build and become its own country with its own flag, yes. As to shipping, we will need to begin with transportation of personal and products but anyone can develop their own fleet. There are no rules to apply for permits or anything, if you want to own your own transportation line, that is just perfect.

Q; Will Seasteading have its own Maritime Foundation such as Maritime Schools and Merchant Marine Academies such as Military and Naval schools?
A; God I hope not. Private schools are much preferred.

Q; Will it take part in Exporting it’s own goods and will be open to the Global market?
A Yes, and yes.

Q; Is there any Overseas Shipping Development Act or any National decree on Shipping already established? if so, is it accessible now for review?
A; No, still too early to determine what is absolutely necessary.

Q; How does one start with being a formal member of the TSI?
A; I can only answer for the Marinea project but if you write to Randy at TSI, he will get you to where you need to go. He’s good people, helped us with somethings and they’re not even directly involved with our project.

Hope this helped. I was a merchant seaman myself. Glade to have you aboard.