Hunt for new technology

(Bob LLewellyn) #1

Someone said that new technology would change everything. So I thought that I would start a thread for new tech stuff as it applies to oceanic living. For the first one, I offer this.

(Ciprian) #2

There is this energy storage system that I have done research on, and it occured to me it could be ideal to be applied to a sea stead. I was reading over DeltaSync’s design plan, and a water depth of 10 meters was thrown around a lot, but there was no clear estimate of the desired bathymetry for the Floating City project. Does anyone know a round about figure for the depth of a sea stead?

(Bob LLewellyn) #3

During the Vietnam war, I serve on the aircraft carrier Coral Sea. She was roughly 1000 feet long and had a displacement of 35 feet (12 meters). It had a compliment of 4,000 men. It was cramped for a carrier but maybe that can give you an idea of a required minimum displacement depth.

(Chad Elwartowski) #4

I don’t recall where I saw it but I thought they said that the 10 meter location needed to be re-thought and 50 to 100 meter depths.

I am thinking they had a location picked out that they liked but the government was concerned about disturbing reefs or preserved areas so they had to look at locations further from shore.

(Chad Elwartowski) #5

salt water electricity

(Bob LLewellyn) #6

Been thinking about the boat delivery idea and a boat is very inefficient when it comes to fuel, I was thinking about cable cars. What if we put a cable or small rail on stilts and had it pull a boat to the seastead? Could double as a sky lift. A 50 mile long sky lift, probably not feasible but something like that may haul a barge back and forth?

Bob

(Kurt Laipple) #7

-Thermomassing building material with convection loop design to reduce need for HVAC systems
enertia.com/howitworks.html

-Energy harvesting trees
vttresearch.com/media/news/solar-power-from-energy-harvesting-trees-–-watch-the-video

-Cost effective and fast treatment to produce high strength steel for more architectural freedom

-Garden based waste water treatment and water recycling
ecological-engineering.com/solaraquatics.html

-More efficient solar paneling
prismsolar.com/technology.php

-Energy storage to balance energy usage with cost cycles
solarcity.com/residential/energy-storage

-Energy generation perfect for high flow areas
lucidenergy.com/

-Hydrophobic paint to keep your buildings clean more easily
ucl.ac.uk/news/news-articles/0315/050315-self-cleaning-surfaces/

-Energy generation for high traffic areas

-Energy efficient and Montreal Protocol compliant HVAC and refrigeration systems
coolsound.us

-Improved efficiency wave drives
corpowerocean.com/corpower-technology/corpower-wave-energy-converter/

-Improved cost delta-based osmotic energy generation, more efficient near saltwater desalination plants
sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S037673881400386X

-Ocean floor connection for geothermal plant management
shimz.co.jp/english/theme/dream/oceanspiral.html

(Sheldon Robertson) #8

A junk rigged ketch doesn’t use very much fuel, easy to learn how to sail (junk rigging), almost impossible to over canvas (junk rigging), is a good working boat, and stable when going dead slow (ketch layout). Two or three light cargo boats could keep a village sized seastead very well supplied. No new technology required.

(Kurt Laipple) #9

Doesn’t need to be a sailboat to sail.

(Sheldon Robertson) #10

Indeed. I have read about kites and sails to move rather large floating structures. Possibly a small or medium seastead. I was referring to resupply of a seastead when it is several hundred miles out. No need for diesel boats or cabled ferries.

(Kurt Laipple) #11

Dynaponic soil-less farming

(Kurt Laipple) #12

Yes, skysails are for moving freighters, too.

(Jonas Smith) #13

Aeroponic systems will be key to growing produce on a seastead, and will help to reach a high level of self-sustainability:

(Kurt Laipple) #14

Dynaponics uses much less energy than aeroponics, but aeroponics can be used vertically more easily.

(Bob LLewellyn) #15

While everyone is discussing the bones of the city, here is something for the skin. Reduces drag, resists algae growth, and even reduces germs if used in a place that spreads germs like a hospital, pretty cool stuff.

http://oriontradingww.com/cool-stuff/smart-solutions-that-inspire/shark-skin-inspires-the-invention-of-a-new-coating-for-ships-and-hospital-surfaces/

(system) closed #16

This topic was automatically closed 100 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.