How will seasteads protect against piracy

(Blank Name) #1

If seasteads are anywhere near ne africa, the middle east, and the s china sea and pacific islands dealing with pirates will likely become a problem. How will seasteads protects against them?

Edit: It seams south america and india also have problems with piracy

Breakaway Civilization | Seasteading | Ocean Colonization | Advanced Oceanic Cities | Atlantis | Enlightenment | Oceanic Business Alliance | next big thing in business
(Chad Elwartowski) #2

The big cargo ships that run into problems with pirates are legally not allowed to have any firearms onboard due to the differing gun laws in the different countries that they ship to.

If you watched the movie “Captain Phillips”, they had to use countermeasures such as water cannons. Some cruise ships have sonic devices.

A seastead would have guns. Plenty of weapons. Unregulated. 3D printed. All types.

Imagine trying to rob a gun club or people at a shooting range.

(Blank Name) #3

Ok, makes sense. But ill point out 3d printed guns dont work well. They usually stop working after a few shots.

Also that’ll only work if the seastead is in international waters or in a country that allows guns.(not many do)

(Jordan) #4

Calling RobertN. I don’t know how to link someone. Anyway, hopefully he sees this and can weigh in.

If, in fact, the seastead were located in an area that was in danger of piracy, then here are the things that need to be addressed:

1. Advanced warning. Radar and other systems will have to be utilized in order to detect small boats from far out.
  2. SOPs - the seastead will need to have written and trained-for operating procedures in order to respond appropriately to even rare occurrances.
  3. Less-lethal responses - things like LRADs and other defenses
  4. Lethal responses - depending on the threat level, standard lethal responses might be necessary, though I think that if advanced planning revealed a threat level high enough to warrant that, it would be a bad place for a seastead.
  5. Who knows what kind of advanced defensive technology could be developed over time.
  6. If you’re in non-international waters, like in French Polynesia, it’s different. For one, according to RobertN, there is no significant pirate presence there. For two, even if there were, if it falls within FP’s water space, and the special economic zone does not call for the seastead defending itself, then it would be able to rely on the National Gendarmerie of France and the French military.
  7. Whether apprehension of pirates is dealt with by the seastead, or extradited to the host nation (or somewhere else in the event the seastead is in international waters).

(Chad Elwartowski) #5

That was the first 3d printed gun made out of plastic. New 3d printers can use steel powder to make metal objects including guns. I think any seastead community that is far from mainland and easy supplies will likely have a metal 3d printer. You can more easily have bags of metal powder than replacement parts.

Outside of the 12nm zone gun laws no longer apply. Between 12nm and 200nm it is mainly laws about a nation’s resources and environmental laws.

Why bother, when they can be precision cast with older techniques?

(stephen russell) #7

We can use surplus arms from NATO, E Bloc nations for defense.
See offshore platform from 007 Diamonds Are Forever.
Ideal model for Seastead armed
See WW1 WW2 Q ships model.

(adam ulbrich) #8

i dont think we would want to be a part of nato. high taxes to them and for a upstart nation that will be bad

(Robert Newman) #9

Many ships traversing waters with pirate issues retain armed security teams. The belief that merchant vessels must be unarmed is a misnomer.

Whether or not seasteads allow residents to have firearms will be dependent on a variety of decisions that will be made via agreements between the seastead operators/owners and the host nation. It seems very unlikely to me that “all types” of unregulated weaponry would be permissible.

– Robert

(George Spencer) #10

I would offer that unless the seastead and the host nation have an agreement otherwise, the seastead would be considered a ship. Host nations have certain obligations to protect shipping in their seaways.

This might mean that the seastead may have to pay for a flag of convenience. Of course it is expensive to operate a ship, but I think the registration fee is remarkably cheap (I think CA$250 in Canada, but I would appreciate it is some one would prove me right/wrong). So if Canada recognizes the seastead as a ‘flagged Canadian vessel’ it would qualify as something that demands protection.

I fully admit this answer ignores the fact that some nations have no ability to police their seaways … if that is the case, I suspect it would be a combination of buying weapons and paying protection money.

(Jordan) #11

The host nation factor only comes into effect with the kind of seastead that will be built in French Polynesian waters. Once big boy seasteads are built in international waters, I think what Elwar is talking about could be more realistic, though it will still depend on what the actual owners of the property say.

@osirisadvocate … if you use the ‘@’ symbol followed by their User Name (with no spaces), that person will be notified that they were tagged in a comment.

Try that and you’ll notice that a “pick list” pops up for everyone who matches what you’ve already typed. Click on the name and it will be inserted into your comment.

Edit - @osirisadvocate … you can also edit a comment and insert that tag later.

(Jordan) #13

Thanks! But for some reason that post doesn’t have the pencil to edit, ha.

(Bob LLewellyn) #14

Back to how to protect a seastead that doesn’t go anywhere from pirates. We could use a bubble boarder. We would make large bubble dispensers and weigh them down to the bottom with big cement rocks. Then we pump air down to the dispensers creating a field of bubbles. Remember that boats float because the are lighter than the water they displace. Make the water lighter and the the boats sink.

Passive resistance.

Doesn’t work, unless you can control where and how the bubbles hit. Creates a rising current that counteracts the lower density. The only experiment was with a heavily overloaded cabin cruiser, to potentially simulate a heavily loaded cargo ship, not a lightly loaded attack vessel.

(.) #16

Combustion light-gas gun can be a choice.

(.) #17

I think, staying out of conflict is the first best defense.
A seastead might be a small object. The ocean is big enough to hide peacefully.
Lots of people live on boats. For myself, I see no need to sail into a war zone.
Peaceful prosperity is probably the strongest weapon anyone can develop.

(.) #18

Well, I wanted to write here reasons, why a seastead might need physical defense,
but with respect to others, I will try not to turn this topic to a horror story.

(Bob LLewellyn) #19

For a real defense, I would recommend a high wall, not so much for pirates, there isn’t really very much of that but for rogue waves. The wall would be expensive if it didn’t have other uses such as a store or other business or even apartment homes. Make everything pay for itself through double duty.

The South Seas are very remote and not in much danger of marauders while Marinea is close to other countries that pirates would want to stay away from. In addition, Marinea has the ability to grow larger than many island nations because it can expand with demand, not easily done with islands made of dirt.

All it takes to join Marinea is to buy a boat, about what you’d expect to pay for a house, and drop anchor close to where the others are moored. Marinea could well have more than a million residents, what pirate would want to attack something that big.

A much bigger problem is the danger of nuclear war. We can start an ocean community with as little as $15 million but the ability to survive a war will require an ability to go under water and come back up when the danger passes. Same for big waves. But we will have to design that after we get on site. We need to get started.

The biggest problem facing ocean colonization is fear and perception. If people don’t believe something is possible, they won’t try. Why isn’t everyone here members of Marinea? Because they just don’t believe it will work. Until we learn how to overcome the negativity in beliefs, we will continue to struggle. We saw this a couple of years ago and decided to create a pilot project to prove the feasibility of seasteading. In fact, that is where Marinea came from. Phase one is proof of concept. We need $15 Million for that. Put another way, we need 150,000 members. Once we reach that goal, seasteading will be a fact of life and everyone will be moving in that direction.

(Larry G) #20