How will be the IT-infrastructure built up?

(Leo De Romanus) #1

I’ve been reading about the Seastading project while reading online newspaper ( http://www.spiegel.de/wissenschaft/technik/schwimmende-staedte-zuhause-auf-dem-ozean-a-1130964.html )

I thought about it a little when I came across the information that the pan in the end stadium is to build complete offshore cities, how the IT-infrastructure should bei connected to the rest of the world. The most relieable and fastest method of connection is the mono mode glasfiber cable, satelite uplinks are at some point unrelieable (when you watch tv during really bad weather or a strong snow fall then the satelite array could show some kind of interruption).

Reading further the article it came clear to me, that the idea is after all moving offshore cities, which rules glasfiber cable out.

Anyone with an idea how to get around this problem, for a functional IT-infrastructure which is inevitable in modern world.

No one has a good answer for this. I do not see significant seasteads occurring on the high seas until the developer has enough influence to cause one of the transocean cable consortiums to connect to the seastead on the trip across the sea.

One method discussed has been distributed networking. Cooperative and coordinated, so that each device does part of the memory function, part of the data transfer functions, etc., as well as be able to input and read data

(Garrett Herschleb) #4

Distributed networking is usually an abbreviated term for distributed computing network. Networks are by nature distributed, so the concept does nothing for the problem of a reliable data connection from a mobile seastead to the rest of the world.

High duration data aerostats may be a possible answer. The below link is currently short duration technology, but it has potential for improvement in duration and stability. Of course, one storm system moving through could really trash your connection.

Maybe this is hardship created by the paradox of wanting to be isolated from the world’s trashy behavior, but still want to communicate with it (rant and rave on social networks!).

I see no reason to use expensive balloons, when a central cellphone ‘tower’ point can do the majority, within several miles, and use standard gigahertz 2-way comms between towers, as well.

Perhaps a sparbuoy with a tall com tower, instead of a turbine?

(Tim) #6

What about 5G mobile IT infrastructure ?
If the French Polynesia seasteading zone is building, there can be a partnership with the local mobile operator to get the primary internet access then use 5G antenna to share and build the network.
This will connect the computers, smartphones and IoT.
I don’t know if it is technically possible (I have no knowledge in these technologies), it is just a global idea.

(Leo De Romanus) #7

the 5G technology is working with terristic antennae and arrays which cover only small areas and theese antennae still need to be connected with the rest of the world. In short terms they are no direct satelite uplinks.

so far I know the technology is not developed far enough to get nomading seasteads connected with the rest of the world by relieable means.

Anchored seasteads do not face this problem because they can be connected with the rest of the world via glas fibre.

(Mariusz) #8

It’s likely that most of the seasteads will not be nomadic, but will simply be floating,but stationary cities. Here there should be no issue with providing a high speed connectivity to the rest of the world. Free floating seasteads on the other hand will be using a mix of technologies to keep in contact with the rest of the world. First they will likely have some form of satellite communication. In addition to that they will be able to connect to other seasteads in vicinity and exchange information in that way. They could use mesh networking, or protocols like Delay-Tolerant Networking Architecture (RFC 4838) and similar. They will also need to have a local data storage and computing capabilities, and simply keep a lot of data locally.

Laying glass fibre under the open ocean is very expensive. It’s not a particularly good option for seasteads far from the coast.

So far, the working technology developed for cruise ships, yachts, and other vessels is sufficient. With greater demand, I expect things would become more cost effective, and accessibility will still be commonplace.

I just think a distributed, networked database makes more sense. Something like:

https://maidsafe.net/