Homestead on the sea basics

(Gordon Hoffman) #1

Toilet paper shouldn’t be too difficult to produce. What about cloth making - craft new style of clothing

Why waste effort on TP, when a fabric wipe is washable and reusable?

(Gordon Hoffman) #3

A wet wipe might be cleaner too. I’m used to dry, and I thought it might work well in the compost. No paper might be best for the methane digester. I’ll have to see that done.

Nah, just take a different approach. Like on septic, don’t use the paper in the toilet. but use a urine separator and use the urine to pretreat the paper, for best carbon/nitrogen ratio

Re-use some of the treated effluent from digester, to flush. innoculates the incoming mix. Mix it in a macerator, like for RVs, along with running food waste through a kitchen dispose-all, add some older pretreated paper, to balance the C/N and feed it into the digester. It can all be hands-off and more-or-less automatic, if plumbed properly.

Matter of tastes. I just don’t want to deal with needing and endless supply of TP. I figure on paper wrappers and cardboard, coming in, anyway.

(.) #5

The corn cub is reusable substitute for toilet paper, though I am not too crazy about it.

(.) #6

Do you know what the difference between an oral thermometer and a rectal thermometer?
The taste.

(Alexander Tomasik) #7

(Gordon Hoffman) #8

For some reason I envision greenhouses on the breakwaters would be used for hemp production. The longer fibers would be best used for cloth making and the shorter fibers would go for paper - maybe seaweed too - nice light green color.

Which will require the development of halophitic varieties and increased fresh-water supplies, and miniaturized processing, to separate the fibers and process them into paper, and yarn/thread.

(Matias Volco) #10

I try to stay away from these threads so obviously created to improve the broad public image of the Seasteading community :slight_smile: ; but it would be cruel not to inform you that in civilized countries like Uruguay or Japan we use water, to wash (sic) ourselves after digestion.

These kind of problems have already been solved by the yachtie community.
http://discuss.seasteading.org/t/the-new-age-of-sail/1221

In general this approach is better suited for DIY boat building, on board living and maintenance, which is probably also constructive for seasteading but it misses the point: a seastead floating city in the ocean will logistically look much like a city in the desert, like Las Vegas: with both a city downtown and suburbs which look indistinguishable from another city, and a smaller percentage living in trailers or tents off the grid, truly on the desert:

http://discuss.seasteading.org/t/cities-need-freshwater-to-grow/621

(system) closed #11

This topic was automatically closed 100 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.