Has any tried to just buy land/Islands from an existing country?

There is plenty of land that is not used and countries that need money, there should be at least country with 1 piece of land (or even a submerged island) that is will to sell something.

(Chad Elwartowski) #2

You can buy land. That’s the easy part. Asking a nation to let you have full sovereignty is another thing.

Jamie Manzel bought an island and is trying to live free. As an individual he can probably live fairly free as long he stays under the radar and sticks to himself (hmm, a Youtube channel might not help with that).

(noboxes) #3

Yea, every year there are islands for sale in Bahamas. But it’s like buying land anywhere in usa, it still belongs to the country it’s sitting in.

(.) #4

I like the video. It is a good explanation of the system. It might be not a full explanation.
Different individuals have different understandings of the same phenomenon.

My understanding is, that Jamie Manzel is somewhere in the territory of Panama, on the
American continent. The American continent has indigenous people, who own sovereign lands.

In the USA, I did visit such a sovereign lands. One of it is part the Grand Canyon. There are
other territories too, such as the Morongo Indian Reservation. US laws apply in a much less
extent on these sovereign lands.

My understanding is that, in the country of Panama there are similar territories.
These territories are owned by indigenous native American people, as a result of treaties…
There might be even some loopholes to purchase such a land and declare it sovereign from
any other authority. I am not an expert on international rules or laws or treaties, but it is
possible that the land, Jamie owns and lives on is such a land, or it can be declared to be such a land. This way, he might be more of a sovereign individual, at this time, than any of us.

I wish him good luck!

(noboxes) #5

What happens if PersonA builds a seastead in the Atlantic Ocean that resembles an island, registers it as something with some country in the Pacific Ocean to get a flag of convenience, and then sells it to PersonB, who notes it was sold but not re-registered anywhere? The seastead is obviously not in the territorial waters of any country, never was within the country it was flagged in, and no owner of the seastead was ever a citizen of that country, and the current owner has never been there.

So can the country the seastead was flagged under claim the seastead is still under it’s rules? Is the seastead stateless as of the date it was sold and not re-registered? Is it legally sovereign because it was once recognised as flagged by a recognised country, but broke away like the Catalan want out of Spain or the Kurds want out of Iraq and Turkey? It’s not a situation like Minerva, simply because the country that previously flagged it isn’t possibly traveling from Malaysia (for instance) to start a military action against it in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean, right?