Greetings from the Pacific Northwest

(Larry G) #21

Just hanging out boat in the Columbia this weekend. My wife likes the boat shows, I’m happy with what we’ve got :grinning:

I need to video document my new mast that arrived last weekend. I would’ve done it on arrival but all hands were needed to get it off the truck.

(Matias Volco) #22

Chris if I’m not mistaken you already have access to a site with

• immediate deepwater access

• sheltered waters

• cultural regional practice tradition of using floating structures

The airbridge Seattle Vancouver is the only major one I can think of that can be done by seaplane.

The above pictured floating farm in a remote western fjord of Victoria Is. was built over pre existing salvaged floating lumberyard components.

(Chris) #23

Yes x3 Matias.

What do you mean it is the only air bridge that can be done by seaplane?

(Matias Volco) #24

I don’t know if the only one, but there is a sea plane link between Seattle and Vancouver that I hear works quiet well

Did you get a sailboat now, Larry? Which one?

(Larry G) #26

Cal 34 Mk III, 1978

It was dismasted in port during a storm. Has been sitting for several years, but is in basically good shape with a 3 cyl westerbieke. I bought a mast and gear off of a J35, need to cut it down a bit and run all new rigging.

(.) #27

Cal 34, I think it is a good choice. That is a nice boat. I did have a cal 25 before.
I like the Cals a lot.

There is one interesting thing about the Cals: usually those do not breach because
the rig and bow size. The bow is big, so the rig does not push it under the water.
A new mast could circumvent that. So ‘cutting down the rig’ might be a good idea.
But what do I know, I am not familiar with the J35 rig.

(Larry G) #28

The J35 mast is 50’ (Kenyon 4270 extrusion) and was keel-stepped. The original was 41.25’ and deck-stepped. I am planning somewhere in between, but not exactly decided yet. Probably somewhere around 45’, giving a better aspect ratio than the original, more in line with modern rigs, but not over-powering the hull. Original was single shrouds, replacement is dual spreader setup.

The replacement, despite being taller, will weigh less than the original (somewhere in the realm of 200 lbs less was my consultant’s estimate). The original was .165" thickness and 6"x8". As my rigging consultant says, there are more options available for extrusions now than when these Cals were constructed originally.

I also got two profurl jib furlers with the replacement. Original was single jib. I am contemplating using both, by adding a bowsprit. If I don’t go with both furlers, I need to decide whether the jib will be 100% or fractional.

Another issue- original boom is 11’ (and I have it). The J35 boom I got with the mast is fancy, with internal halyards and already has the matching gooseneck fittings, but is 14’. They are similar in cross section. I don’t think I want that much foot to my main sail on this vessel (the J35 hull is 20" wider than the Call 34 and it’s 4’ more LWL despite only 2.25’ difference LOA.) I have to explore how feasible it is to cut down the boom as well.

(.) #29

May be, one more thing I mention.
Some people strengthen the boat at the shroud connection.
Internally in the hull this is at the bulkhead. This could put extra force on the hull, and
at the breaking point of the shrouds or at the breaking point of the mast would tear
a big hole in the hull instead. You might want to take a look at it, and decide what
you would like better; one or two big holes in the hull or broken shroud connections with
smaller holes in the hull.

Of course, at 5knots wind, being you as the skipper, this is a mute point.
When the going gets rough and other people are involved, this might not be
apparent to them, and the boat could be pushed into a difficult situation.
My idea is safety, and not to make a china store out of the boat.

(Larry G) #30

I’ve had calcs done for shroud diameters. I may need some additional or larger chainplates. But shrouds are designed to give way before hull or deck.

Cals are nice solid boats. My first boat was a Cal 29, 1969, in San Diego. A friend of mine had a Cal 34. Very spacious and capable offshore cruiser.

Yes, good choice. Enjoy!