Greetings from the Pacific Northwest

(Chris) #1

Hello, I wanted to introduce myself as I’m hoping to become a little more active in the seasteading community.

I first heard of the idea of seasteading when I stumbled upon Patri Friedman’s blog in 2004 while I was in college. I had just read David Friedman’s The Machinery of Freedom and was very into anarcho-capitalism at the time (hence the name). I had no idea there were any real active efforts around seasteading until much to my amazement I found the TSI website in 2010 and realized Patri had actually made this thing happen.

At the time I was working as an intelligence analyst in the US army, but I’ve since spent the last 6 years in the renewable energy industry working mainly in utility scale solar development. I am currently more focused on energy market analytics. I am also skilled in financial modeling and do a quite a bit of python coding for my job.

I recently bought a waterfront property with about 150 ft of beach and a mooring buoy in the San Juan Islands. I use it as a vacation rental, but I’m hoping to maybe do some experiments there in the not too distant future.

I am very excited about exploring business models that function on the open ocean – and am particularly interested in the energy aspect. Of late I have been completely fascinated reading all the tire ring weaving posts and am wondering about ways that could potentially be scaled up. I can think of some very interesting potential use cases if we can get the cost down.

Best,
Chris

Welcome and good luck. I was working on a concept for IMTA (Integrated Multi-Trophic Aquaculture, when Fukushima started leaking and abandoned the idea of doing it up there, but there are several universities that might help you, up that way, if you’re interested.

(.) #3

Hi Chris;

Welcome. Great to read your post I hope you will write more.
Best regards;

(.) #4

That is a great potential.

(noboxes) #5

@vincecate is out there on one of the islands too, you should look him up. He’s more active on other forums nowadays. http://www.offshore.com.ai/vince/

(Matias Volco) #6

imagen

There are islands within the American states too. Where the OP lives is more akin to this

than to this
imagen

notice in both BC and Yucatan those floating islands looks similar and use different building blocks. Pontoons for a logging operation in Canada, and PVC plastic bottle held together by bags and wooden caissons in Mexico. Likewise rubber tires are one other material that can be used.

What uses can you think of if cost goes down and scale goes up?

(noboxes) #7

Chris lives on a floating island?

(Chad Elwartowski) #8

Welcome to the forum from the South Pacific. Renewable energy is certainly a welcome expertise.

I used to work in the US army intelligence sector, I helped to develop DCGS-A when I was in Iraq in 2005.

(Chris) #9

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone.

There are islands within the American states too. Where the OP lives is more akin to this

The islands are in the Puget Sound, which definitely doesn’t get the wave action of the open ocean, but we do get significant tides and currents through there. And it can get pretty choppy, such that they have to shut down ferries on occasion.

What uses can you think of if cost goes down and scale goes up?

One thing I’m thinking is it might make a good cheap platform for holding solar panels. You could essentially just lay the panels down flat and secured to the weave. If the seastead is close to the equator you can get away with not tilting the panels and still get great production - especially with how good the sun is in the doldrums. Solar is so crazy cheap these days the economics could be interesting.

(Chris) #10

Thanks Elwar. Such a small world. I remember the DCGS-A system well. I was in Iraq 09-10 and we used that extensively.

(noboxes) #11

One of you then might want to fix the https protocol at rdl.train.army.mil. Use of a self-signed certificate doesn’t prove authenticity.

(Alex Smith) #12

i wonder what’s the cost of a little wave power generator? isnt that 24 hours energy source when we stay on the ocean?

(Larry G) #13

Hi Chris,

I’m in Vancouver, WA/Portland OR. I’m putting together a sailboat right now (Cal 34 Mk III). I plan to sail the San Juans eventually.

(Chris) #14

Great to meet you Larry. I checked out your blog. Quite a project you’re working on!

Long shot, but I think I may go to the Anacortes boat show this weekend. Let me know if you’re in the area. Normally I’m in Seattle.

(Chris) #15

Alex,
I’m not sure exactly the cost of a wave powered generator. There is a start up in Seattle focused on this though that is really intriguing: https://oscillapower.com/

I think one problem with wave power that companies are working to solve is durability. Also it’s best used in rougher seas, where no one wants to live (or at least I don’t). Floating wind is also not going to be great in the most desirable living locations (although it’s being deployed on large shipping vessels now which is really cool).

So I think OTEC and floating solar are more interesting. The solar price point is very well established and still dropping and the industry is already at massive scale.

(Alex Smith) #16

basiclly you were right of most issues. but the solar’s problem is you have 12 hours lack of powersource, myself is also a fans of solar power, but the battery industry havnt gaved us a satisfied option. check tesla’s powerpack price and capacity

(bill mapezzi) #17

no, they kept it from us. China has them. You can get the LiFePo4 batteries on Ebay for like 1/3 the price of commercial electric car batteries, you just have to put them all together. They don’t blow up like the L-ions.

(.) #18

I do not need a lot of power.

(Alex Smith) #19

China has what? i am chinese too

(bill mapezzi) #20

Tang ina kayo mga Insik. Sa amin telaga ang mga spratly. Baka isip isip sa inyo din an binham rice. Ano? sa dati ang mga lola/lolo ninyo lumlangoy sa libo na kilometer ba? Baho utot mo.

lifepo4 3.2v 15AH for Electric Vehicle 3.2v 100AH lipo battery cell 15.88 to 19.88 each

these deals vary…maybe it is not 300 pcs of 3.2v x 100Ah at 19.88 each giving a 96 kWhr (NEW 5-10C)battery for $6000
anyway you can get surplus 300km range (.5 -1C) “BUS” battery packs in china for the recycling cost (plenty of life but no power) and make 3 or 4 (tesla like) engines from them, just use a (replaceable) pack of LIPO(cheaper and higher 25C discharge - less than 500 cycles) as a “boost” engine. $200 bucks - 150,000 watts(100hsp) for 120 seconds or so, or 12 hits of 10 seconds. once at speed the “old bus” engines are still lighter and cheaper than lead acids and can recharge you “boost” engine while driving.

These ones are not so “price variable”

older battery size (smaller- more soldering tabs) 16Wh for $2.88 each - so 6000pieces- $17280 for 96KWh 2000lbs battery, but lasts 5 times longer than tesla battery.