Geopolymer Concrete, the perfect seasteading material

It rambles, but describes a number of affordable, do-it-yourself geopolymers. Crystal Drano is a commercial drain-cleaner, in the US, consisting of crystalline Lye, Bentonite clay is commonly used as ‘clumping’ cat litter, and diatomaceous earth is the silica shells of Diatoms. One way of making it would be to pre-mix the dry ingredients, then add water, while mixing, then use the resulting geopolymer and allow the water to dissociate, or you could mix the lye with water and add to the remaining dry ingredients. Other caustic agents and alternative materials are also discussed.

Shame there are no images.

(.) #144

Yes, I understand the chemistry. Though I have not thought about diatomatious earth,
but I recognise right away the possibility.

The strenght of concrete highly depends on gavel as large aggregates.

And I like that line of Homer Simpson: " That’s what I thought too, but here we are."
Anyways. Whatever it works. There is more than one way to skin a cat, but when
it is done, what are you going to do with a skinned cat?

Polymers form ‘chains’ of linked and intertwined molecules. Think of the rebar as a skeleton, lending additional strength and physical structure, with the polymer as fibers. If you can, imagine it as a hollow tree with an skeletal structure that is encased, inside and out, in that geopolymer fibrous cement. It fills the gaps and transfers some of the stresses to the skeleton.

Beat it with a dead horse… :stuck_out_tongue:

(.) #146

O, oooops, I see the double entandre here. I am guilty as charged.

Since the quote is about catfish, you fry it up and eat it.

(.) #148

Another Feudian slip, and twenty more characters.

One of the many nice features of geopolymers is that producing them does not release vast quantities of CO2. Depending on location and the methods used to extract limestone and make hydrated lime, common cement can release an equivalent, or even larger amount of CO2, in the process, ton-for-ton.

(.) #150

I earned “regular” status. I am not worthy! I am not worthy!

(Larry G) #151

Good for marketing purposes, but since my personal study of the topic of global warming has led me to the understanding that climate fluctuations are primarily solar-cycle-driven and localized anthropogenic influences primarily relate to deforestation, paving, and the related changes in albedo, I don’t actually care that much about releasing carbon.

Ah, but the power of being able to say it is ‘green’/eco-friendly is a great marketing tool, as well! :wink:

Take all the ‘green’ features, pump them into a low-cost ‘environmentally-friendly’, durable something that also produces ‘sustainable’ food at a lower cost…

Use all the best marketing BUZZ-words to your advantage…

(.) #154

One of the main reason for basalt rebars is corrosion. Steel rebars corrode, basalt
rebars do not corrode. At least this is what I understand. I do not have any practical
experience with basalt rebars. With basalt rebar system it becomes possible to
make the concrete with seawater. No need freshwater to mixt the concrete.
The drawback I see, is the steel rebars can be used as electrodes for biorock
accretion late, the basalt rebars cannot be. I think. I do not think the basalt
rebars conduct electricity. The steel rebar do conduct electricity.

A basalt rebar concrete structure can be later wired on its concrete surface for
biorock accretion. So I do not see accretion as a lost possibility with basalt rebars.

I did pour concrete that I mixed with seawater. I did not use any rebar. The concrete holds.
I made about a 5’’ × 5’’ × 5" block. It behaves and look just like the fresh water mix.

Steel rebar corrosion is the #1 culprit in the problems that are plaguing the bridges and overpasses in America.

Any accretion will also reduce capacity as unwanted weight. This would not be a problem for fixed structures, but adding mass to floating structures reduces buoyant capacity.

(.) #156

Again, the contradiction of accretion of a floatin structure.
Accretion can be controlled by the current used.
A structure built in water and extended in water will have a bouyancy of
the lower parts still bouyant. A keel type of ballast can be accreted with
current regulated at the lower part of the structure.

Wrong. Anything that adds mass to a floating object will reduce its’ buoyancy, regardless of whether it is a brick added to the payload. or the equivalent cementation spread over the bottom of the hull, unless the added accretion is more buoyant than the original.

Geopolymer formula document (pdf) using Fly Ash/ Sodium Carbonate/Washing Soda/Super Soda, Diatomaceous Earth/Fullers Earth and High Alumina AlO2 clay…

For the Kaolin, I will experiment with High Alumina clay in the form of clumping cat litter. Ours also has baking soda, so may lengthen the cure time, or even raise the needed temperature to cure.

My apologies, I have no idea why it rearranged all the pages… At least they are all there…

Another one, this one from Free Patents Online…

(Nick Gencarelle) #161

JL please remove the price list as it changes and is not to be public thanks. Nick