Geopolymer Concrete, the perfect seasteading material

I am not “baiting” anything and I am not trying to win any arguments here,…Just commenting on one of your comments. If you prefer to live 24/7 on a 1 ton “family seastead”, go for it and good luck to you. I’d rather live on a 20 tons one.

[quote=“KatOnTri, post:113, topic:240”]
Octavian thinks in terms of brute force (weight) opposing the wave forces. You and i think it’s not necessary to engage the waves in the first place.
[/quote]“Necessary to engage” is the wrong wording here… The waves will engage you no mater what me, you or anybody on this planet think if it’s “necessary” or not, regardless if you are on a dinghy or on a tanker, regardless if your seastead is built of aluminum or geopolymer.

(.) #123

I am not against geopolimers. I will build a geopolimer seastead also.
I will probably build a concrete one too. And one with basalt rebars.
And my favorite one biorock. My next experiments are going to be to grow
biorock on concrete using steel rebar as an electrode.
The next one is going to be cocnrete foam made with dishwasing detergent,
And using a reinforcing steal rebar as an electrode also.
I hope all seas will be free.

Why are you replying to me on that? I didn’t claim you were baiting, etc etc…
I’m not sure how to built a seastead so light that it’s only 1 ton. A boat, sure.

Interesting exploration into DIY geopolymer…

Diatomaceous Earth, Bentonite clumping cat litter and Crystal Drano…?

Sry. It was meant for JL.

A 1 ton seastead can be built of aluminum.

I guess you have forgotten why you chewed my rear last year, and forgotten that JL wants to build a spar. Neither one of us wants to have the mass in the wave zone that any boat has.

(Jonas Smith) #128

That wasn’t my comment. You replied to the wrong person in post 111.

Different approaches. Minimal surface-area to wave interaction vs using a mass damping effect. I understand the sheer-mass concept. Build a fortress vs building a house, HOWEVER, it is the nature of the materials and events that will determine which will last longer. Adobe has sheer mass and may last a long time, in the right conditions, but anything built for its’ expected use and environment SHOULD. Adding extra mass to a floating structure may dampen wave action, but at a cost of lost buoyancy.

The spar can have the exact same mass and wave resistance, by using seawater ballast, maybe more damping, since it also has a smaller surface area for the waves to act upon.

Suppose, instead of buying 20 tons of concrete, I form 1 ton of geopolymer into a tank that will hold 19 tons of seawater. I now have your 20 tons, for the same damping effect. Granted, I do not believe it would last, but you proposed the mass comparison.

I can also ‘blow’ that 19 tons of seawater ballast and move a 1 ton seastead much more economically.

(.) #133

I am sorry that you feeling that way.

Ocatvian is my friend.

Merely a difference of opinion on engineering. I believe I just made my point rather well. No, I seriously doubt I would have a 1 ton seastead, using, say 2 inches thick geopolymer and Basalt FRTP rebar, at nearly 200 ft. and 10 ft diameter cylinder. I haven’t done the calculations, so I don’t actually know what that volume is, or what mass it would be. However, the ballasted light structure vs a sheer volume of concrete comparison is valid and appropriate.

I don’t have a problem with people seasteading on whatever they think works for them :smile:

Personally, if I’d want to “seastead by myself” (whatever that means :smile:) I’d keep building from scratch to a bare minimum by buying a houseboat and use it as a living quarters and just surround it with floating concrete (ferrocement) docks to create a floating tropical island atmosphere around it (I live in Florida). Of course this would be done close to shore and in protected waters.

Even something as “simple” as above would cost @ least $75,000.00 to put together (DIY).

Other than that, my comments are based on the fundamentals of what might work for a community of seasteaders that might want to live on a much bigger but somehow similar “floating island” type of structure,…

Possible set ups that would lower the ($75 k) construction costs below.

Etc. Any “living quarter” built from scratch will cost a small fortune nowadays,…

Relevance to geopolymer concrete?

@JL_Frusha

This is not some classroom about geopolymers JL…so we’ll be punished by the teacher for daring to exercise a bit of freedom of speech and expand the conversation outside of the subject that MUST be,…

I’ll delete if the owner of this thread (Anenome) requests so.

The relevance is “indirect” by saying that seasteading can be also done (and quite cheaply) by using “imperfect” materials like ferrocement and by cutting certain corners here and there. It doesn’t have to be the latest high-tech or brand spanking new.

Ah, but it IS a topic ABOUT geopolymers and you ARE continually off-topic. I’m not here to make you happy, nor are you here to make me happy, but I have stayed on-topic, and even tried to steer the conversation BACK on topic. If you’re a mod, so be it, but there are those higher than you. I won’t be threatened for simply telling the truth, or staying on-topic.

[quote=“JL_Frusha, post:138, topic:240”]
I won’t be threatened for simply telling the truth, or staying on-topic.
[/quote]Who’s threatening you dude?? Call 911, don’t live your life in fear,…

http://prefabhouse.blogspot.com/2009/04/fly-ash-based-geopolymer-concrete.html

(.) #141

How strange. I really do not understand. It is probably me.