Geopolymer Concrete, the perfect seasteading material

(Larry G) #246

basalt fabric […] has highly similar properties to fiber glass…

Can it be used to make a surfboard? An avid surfer himself, Romo took his idea to a local board maker named Stan Lawrence, owner of Orchid Land Surfshop in Hilo.

A short while later, Romo had an answer to his question: Yes! And it looks incredible.

Using a thin sheet of basalt fabric supplied by a Rhode Island-based company called Smarter Building Systems, Stan glassed the unique material into the standing surface of one of his custom, nine-foot longboards.

(Larry G) #247

My basalt fabric samples arrived. Very interesting stuff. Lots of weaves and weights to choose from. Will be doing some experimentation.

Please let us know how those basalt fabrics work out. Can you make a video?

Also, how are those fabrics used? Are they like fiberglass cloth to be laid out with epoxy resin? Or are they used as a reinforcing material to be plastered as in a ferrocement construction?

(Larry G) #249

They are similar to fiberglass cloth. They can be used in resin or in cncrete. Concrete actually bonds to it unlike to glass fibers.

There are lots of types. All of my samples are small pieces for reference.

(.) #250

(George Hawirko) #251

I losing interest here, Geopolymer has many meanings, mostly “Rabbit Holes.” Many great solutions are available but not in this thread.

(Alex Marshall) #252

I have a lot of admiration for your writing. Thank you for all your valuable input on this tconcrete

I came up with a way to make a Thermo-Plastic Basalt Glass Fiber Rebar, so instead of it just being straight, bend into place, heat to near ‘glass’ temp (like heating and bending plastic), let cool and it takes the new set, using an advanced enamel. Haven’t had the $$ to throw at making it, but the components are proven and have off-the-shelf availability.

(noboxes) #254

On adding fly ash and steel-making slag to OPC.

(noboxes) #255

It’s sad you know of the solutions, but cannot tell us.

(George Hawirko) #256

Sorry but I not sure what “You” want to know, noboxes. Should change my name to CheckBoxes:-)

(noboxes) #257

“I” would like to know of affordable alternatives to geopoly (aka “unobtainium”) and ordinary portland cement, for durability in sea water.

(George Hawirko) #258

Is this for a current project or are you just gathering specs for future reference?

(noboxes) #259

After two years of not getting any info on geopoly availability, i am currently building with steel. I can still evaluate geopoly for future use.

Commercially available Geopolymer is something like 10X the cost of concrete

Ouch!!

Then this whole post titled “Geopolymer Concrete, the perfect seasteading material” is just plain and simple BS. At that price, 10 x the price of concrete, there is nothing “perfect” about it.

In fact, IT SUCKS.

Actually, at longevity times on the Great Pyramid scale, it could be well worth it, if the design is flexible enough.

HOWEVER, there ARE cheaper DIY formulas (some actually patented for commercial production). I just don’t have the necessary facilities to MAKE it in the quantities I’d want and would have to be commercial to afford to use it in the quantities I would want, at which point, I would no longer have the time to DO what I want.

(noboxes) #263

I am proud to bask in your eloquence. The poetry of your verbage, the pinpoint accuracy of the nouns, the way you hone in on the mental image of the material and it’s use. It’s simply stunning how you enhance this forum!

(noboxes) #264

If i remember right, @NickGri 's price and qualifications for the HPC was also out of reach.

Which i find a little interesting because Wikipedia flat out said the HPC was made by replacing (on average 50% of) portland in equal measure with the powdered slag, which was slightly cheaper.

And then to sell it, the engineering details of the customer’s use of the cement had to be turned over? That’s difficult to get right if the use is to be a protective shell, or stucco. And it’s not cost effective if one is making fish habitat.

Thanks!!

And let me say that I couldn’t have done it without your role model! Your superb conversational skills and vast, overall seasteading related knowledge are a true inspiration to any reader of this form.