Fruiting trees for various sea regions

Oh, so you started the wiki page after I made this topic. And here I was thinking, “We have a wiki?”

What do you guys think about growing grain at sea? Are there any grain that grow well in areas with potential salt-water contamination? From this article, it seems that there is an ancient strain of wheat that are resistant to salt water here. Unfortunately, this is just a trivia and I doubt we can use it.

Similarly, how about berries? Would growing strawberry in the middle of the ocean close enough to the Aleutians affect its growth?

(Larry G) #23

I don’t see any commodity production of crops being especially well-suited to artificial land in the middle of the ocean. If it’s a commodity product, it needs to come from the ocean or from land.

Yes, that’s a problem. Practically no one knows we have it, it hasn’t been updated in forever, and there is no obvious link to it.

I am trying to change that.

(Matias Volco) #24

The problem is not potential salt contamination but rather potential total destruction of the crop and its growing medium infrastructure.

Re strawberries and microclimates:
With hydro and aeroponics (which necessitate a controlled, closed, environment anyway) less quantities of water can be used to grow any species.

With dry/flood hydro heavy trees can be grown in a clean manageable sustrate - you treat the large planter as an indoor swimming pool - same level of luxury or necessity as discussed above.

Actually, you can grow almost anything almost anywhere, just a matter of how much you want to spend doing so.

Aquaponics, hydroponics, micro livestock.
,… Take your pick, or pick your combination.

(Larry G) #26

RE: Strawberries:

https://discuss.seasteading.org/t/agriculture-in-the-marine-oceanside-environment/?source_topic_id=2645

(Bob LLewellyn) #27

[quote=“JL_Frusha, post:25, topic:2645”]
Aquaponics, hydroponics, micro livestock.
,… Take your pick, or pick your combination.[/quote]
There is a lot more that can be raised at sea than you might think.
https://marinea.org/magazine-article/raise-quality-meat-at-sea/
Bob

Sorry Bob, that’s not gonna happen anytime soon.

Memphis Meats sell extremely expensive meat, with one source claiming a pound of their chicken costing about $9000, that’s more expensive than a pound of A5 Kobe Beef in comparison, priced at $150 per pound. That’s 60 times more expensive than the most expensive beef in existence.

You’re probably hoping it will become cheaper as research continues and you’d likely be right as the world prepares to colonize Mars. After all, growing meat on a petri dish on Mars would be way cheaper than transporting meat from Earth, even at $9000 per pound. However, that would take decades, assuming they succeed. Risenia would probably already be built and populated and you’d probably be importing our wagyu for much cheaper than growing your own lab meat.

Please don’t misunderstand. I’m not shooting down your idea. I have much respect for Marinea project as one of the few that is on the way of becoming a reality, however, I don’t think you should put too much hope in that infant technology. It’d be cheaper to buy the beef from Texas and transport it to your project site every week for the next 50 years. It’s an approach that the inventors should indeed advance, but I don’t think any of us can use the technology within our lifetimes.

(Bob LLewellyn) #29

[quote=“Shiina_Ai, post:28, topic:2645”]
but I don’t think any of us can use the technology within our lifetimes.[/quote]
I won’t disagree with you on this but here’s a partial list of new things I’ve seen in the last 50 years. I grew up with radio and black&white TV in the 50s since then there has been the transistor radio, color TV the microwave oven, hearing aids, mechanical hearts and the ability to do transplants. the calculator, computers, the internet, space travel, breaking the sound barrier, solar cells, other renewable energy, cell phones (not all inventions were good) computer games and finally, I helped out with the first computer program that can go to work making you money so you don’t even have to go to work anymore.

Some people even believe that within 30 years, humans will be able to grow a new human without sex, (this is obviously one of those inventions that are not very good, life without sex, what’s the point?)

And in 2017, there is no such thing as a seastead, that will also change shortly. I predict, Memphis Meats cost comparable with farm beef within 7 years. As they increase their production capabilities, the price will drop rapidly. Your future aught to be awesome.

(Chris) #30

I’m not sure about salt tolerance, but this would offer variety in a small package.

http://www.treeof40fruit.com/

(Matias Volco) #31

A Floating Town would grown on the back of Global Trade, so products in bulk like cement, quinoa, coconuts or Chinese manufactures would come on the cheap side. What is not particularly cheap in China and Megacities is fresh vegetables grown under controlled-conditions (be it “organic”, or lettuce with artificially low potassium)

Recent advances in Light Emitting Technology and 3D Printed Soil Architecture enable production of vegetables in “food synthetizers” rather than traditional farms. The majority of all greens grown traditionally is wasted before they reach your supermarket. Imagine having a Food Synthetizer in the kitchen of your floating home instead of a Vegetable Crisper in a refrigerator.