French Polynesia Open to Seasteading Collaboration

(Randolph Hencken) #1

(Seasteading Delegation: Tom W. Bell, Egor Ryjikov, Marc Collins, Joe Quirk, Randolph Hencken, Nicolas Germineau, Greg Delaune and Bart Roeffen)

[Blog by Randolph Hencken, Executive Director]

Tonight, we are flying home from Tahiti after a promising exploratory mission here in French Polynesia. At the end of our meeting with President Édouard Fritch, his cabinet and numerous other government officials, the President stated that he is open to collaborating with us and will assign staff to work with us on a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU).

“It would be wonderful if we could work with The Seasteading Institute to bring sustainable development and economic activity to French Polynesia,” the President told us through our translator. “Let’s create the future together,” he concluded. We will send a draft Memorandum of Understanding to the presidency this week. We anticipate finalizing the MOU within 30 days. Assuming we are able to agree on the MOU, we will then invest the resources to assist Tahiti to draft and pass legislation that will create a special jurisdiction, based in part on successful special economic zones from elsewhere in the world.

Hot off the press is this up-to-date press release about our meetings here.

Our meeting with the president appeared in the local Tahiti newspaper (French).

Over the past week, we’ve recorded a handful of short vlogs, which our community can view below.

Joe Quirk and I discuss our trip from a lagoon on Bora Bora.

Law Professor and seasteading legal adviser Tom W. Bell at the Presidential Palace moments before our meeting with the President.

Strategic Adviser Nicolas Germineau, Seasteading Ambassador and Engineer Egor Ryjikov, Joe Quirk, Tom W. Bell, and myself moments after our meeting with the President.

Seasteading Cleantech and Public-Private Partnership Adviser Greg Delaune, Blue21/DeltaSync Engineer and Architect Bart Roeffen and Myself discuss meeting with the President

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at http://www.seasteading.org/2016/09/french-polynesia-open-seasteading-collaboration/

What can/will be a host nation?
Breakaway Civilization | Seasteading | Ocean Colonization | Advanced Oceanic Cities | Atlantis | Enlightenment | Oceanic Business Alliance | next big thing in business
(Alex Smith) #2

i noticed that special jurisdiction mentioned. is it means a " East India Company" like mode?

(Larry G) #3

One of the most important aspects would probably be exemption from price controls that are pretty common in in the Islands. I haven’t researched French Polynesia as much, but the RMI has set price controls on things like coconut copra production, to “protect” the natives from “foreign exploitation” and these controls are not responsive to international market pressure, resulting in boom-bust cycles and no stable agriculture because the market goes away completely and immediately (rather than partially, gracefully) whenever the international market price drops below the local price control level.

This is just one example.

http://www.forbes.com/2010/01/14/venezuela-inflation-price-controls-opinions-columnists-bruce-bartlett.html

(William Kiely) #4

Very exciting! I look forward to seeing agreement on the Memorandum of Understanding soon.

(Wilfried Ellmer) #5

@RandolphHencken | The visit is a great achievement on its own already. A strong lifesign of the movement. Congrats to Randy and Team !

It is just about Polynesia understanding the global importance of the Seasteading movement and recognizing it…on the highest Level…

We should not dilute the glorious moment of Randy and his team by putting topics that have basicly nothing to do with the visit (like price control) on the table.

Polynesia wants economic activity and development - a phase 3 seastead can deliver that … this is what matters.

(Larry G) #6

Right… nothing to do with the topic whatsoever. Not directly related to special economic zones at all.

OMGWTF.

Maybe it would be more topical to post a bunch of links to my own website with fantasy CGI pictures of things which will never exist.

(Matias Volco) #7

Congratulations, this is fantastic news. Yes we have been talking about Austronesian Exceptionalism for years as a model and example. Polynesia offers that and more, being a large enough constellation of some of the World’s most beautiful islands that surely deserve to be preserved and enjoyed at the same time. Freighter cruises still operate to more remote islands which is quiet unique, and perhaps more permanent floating structures could further solve this dillema.

(Wilfried Ellmer) #8

In an overcrowded world Polynesia has definitly assets.

• Wide oceanic space reserves | nobody else has this
• Oceanic culture of the population
• Traditional closesness to aquaculture | aquatic lifestyle
• Transoceanic cables connect remote areas to the rest of the planet now
• Polynesia is like a white paper to write a new chapter of human development
• Culture of subdue to nobody (754)

Reaching out and connect the Seasteading world of investors and futurists thinkers to Polynesia is definitly an enourmous achievement.

(Alexis Churches) #9

I’m getting training in Jewish Camps in Australia with Jewish Care in Caulfield or st kilda I would really like to move into Tahiti when they get their own theme park or big cat zoo in Tahiti but until then I am planning work in Jewish Camps in Germany in the long run after I get camp cook experience in Australia I am gonna move to Germany then maybe work in Tahiti when they get their own theme park & zoo…

(Wilfried Ellmer) #10

@RandolphHencken | Any news updates on the “Polynesia Project”