Floating island of pumice

(Craig G. Lewis) #1

So I’m watching TV and see this Floating Island (Not Plastic, Apparently there is no Real Island of Plastic) Yet one of pumice there is. https://www.livescience.com/22268-huge-pumice-island-floats-in-pacific.html

I think that this could be the main building material.

Capture the floating pumice with a ship and process it onboard, or ship to a building site for constructing the building block.

Biorock Experiments
(Wilfried Ellmer) #2

The interesting question:
Is building with captured natural pumice from a volcanic eruption more efficient in cost per real estate square meter, than the methods at hand already

I suggest you fit out a ship and process a little platform as a pilot project and tell us what your cost to the builder per square meter is…

Nevertheless if you can produce interresting data on the topic i will be the first to look at it with interest and an open mind…

So,… You gonna buy a boat first.

Then, you gonna sail the Pacific Ocean looking for pumice.

Then, (when you find pumice), you gonna collect it and use it to build a seastead.

(Wilfried Ellmer) #4

In the context of “light filler materials” for “advanced composite building” it is convenient to google up the term | leca | (light expanded clay aggregate)… it is probably a more economic way to get a light filler into your floating island, than the method sugested here

(noboxes) #5

If you merely want air in the composite to reduce it’s weight, just air-foam the cement at suitable locations within the hull.

(John) #6

Actually, there was a guy who built a plastic bottle island in Mexico…

(.) #7