Flip ship option for seasteading?

Downloadable pdf on FLIP operations…

(Jonas Smith) #92

Up to three feet of vertical oscillation for 27 consecutive days! Those ten guys must have had stomachs of cast iron…and balls to match.

I guess the term “relative comfort” is…relative.

(Larry G) #93

A lot of that would depend on how fast the oscillation is.

IIRC, the natural frequency was something like 10 times the wave period, but heave-plates could possibly be made to be fitted and removed, to maintain the adaptability. In a permanently vertical spar-buoy configuration, it would either be used as a tension leg, or have permanent heave-plates, eliminating most, if not all of the heaving moment…

Hmmm… Wonder if ‘heaving’ and ‘the heaves’ were taken from the nautical term, or if the slang term for vomiting was first…? NOT that I’ll ever research it, myself, but… trivia…

Been working on a short FLIP concept, using Off-the-Shelf’ pressure vessels, and compressing the ballast/buoyancy tanks, into something more manageable, as far as being potentially shipped in sections, delivered and completed. Given the numbers of closed factories, the larger cryogenics tanks may be available in used condition, to convert to core components.

I can’t really do any design, or analysis, between crappy computers, lack of fancy software and lack of know-how, but MS-Paint can pull-off a few tricks and get the ideas into a reasonable order…

FLIP Bow/Residence… Greenhouse roof flipped vertical becomes greenhouse walls, for hydroponic gardening…
(containertug stretched to 200% for comparison)

FLIP diagram with compressed adaptation, and charts for commercially available Cryo-tanks…

"spar type" offshore platforms | flip ship | tubular floating structures | shell structures | oceanic business alliance
Seastead in Phang Nga bay
Podcast: Robert Ballard & 3D-Printed FLIPsteads
The Ideal Seastead Design

Another proposed FLIP design…

http://www.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a009046.pdf

Boat/seastead survival in a hurricane
(.) #97

How about three hulls?

Problem with three hulls is laying it down to tow. However, it should be feasible to use 2-pair, as a 4-legged base, for the platform. Maybe 1/2 the base as deck on each pair, then flip upright, connect the 2 sets of legs, raise and connect the platforms.

How about 4 hulls? :blush:

(.) #100

I am not against 4 hulls. I am not a numberist.

(.) #101

OK , lets build it with two hulls.

Easier way to do it might be to have a platform with gear for large jack-down legs and make tubes for that. Tow it out and jack/lower the spars into the water, then blow enough ballast to lift the platform clear.

(.) #103

Big project.

A fish aggregating device would be a smaller project.
An anchor with a bouy with line between the two, and a subsurface ballastable structure.
The structure would be preferably sphere shape.

(.) #104

I think that two hull design has several advantages.

Sparbuoy fish pens, ~8 miles offshore…

WAVE INDUCED MOTION OF FLIP
Jerome A. Smith * and Karl F. Rieder
Scripps Institution of Oceanography, University of California at San Diego, La Jolla, CA 92093-0213 U.S.A.

WAVE INDUCED MOTION OF FLIP
Jerome A. Smith * and Karl F. Rieder
Scripps Institution of Oceanography, University of California at San Diego, La Jolla, CA 92093-0213 U.S.A.

(.) #107

Is there and echo in here?

Is there and echo in here?

I go check it out. The motion, not the echo.

(.) #108

I found it:
http://opg1.ucsd.edu/pdfs/smith/1997-oe24-SmithRieder-FLIPmotion.pdf

Sorry. Back and forth between too many documents and got lost. Thank you for posting the link, @spark

(system) closed #110

This topic was automatically closed 100 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.