Elon Musk's Hyperloop for connections between seasteads | oceanic business alliance

(Wilfried Ellmer) #21

@Matias, you might consider that you might not have the “correct audience” here for discussing that kind of technical concepts…

(Matias Volco) #22

I might as well, and

your sense of humor does not go unnoticed

(stephen russell) #23

Or for backup: ET3.com HSRR plan which differs in Cost from Hyperloop & assembly.
ET3.com
& love the idea esp to connect to shore aside Island Colonies.

(Wilfried Ellmer) #24

The connection between seastead elements need to be tubular structures instead of “open walkways” - once you have a tubular connection it could well be a hyperloop connection instead of a walking tunnel…

Underwater tubular connection with tendon anchors suggested transatlantic tunnel…

Hyperloop sistem visualization

(stephen russell) #25

See ET3.com concept, told its chaper than Hyperloop.
Might save Seasteading alone worldwide.

It would be a very nice and useful thing to have, but the seastead would need to be absolutely enormous to justify that kind of expenditure, by the time such a link would be economical, regular flights and shipping links would probably already be in full swing.

Just one minor point out the waves, why would you want it to be that near the surface? It could easily be positioned, say, 50 meters below the surface where wave activity even under the worst of conditions would be minimal.

(Larry G) #29

Well, technology is advancing a step closer, although funding still would seem to be contingent upon existing demand rather than speculative demand…

The problem I see is movement, not just using flexible floating tunnels.

If a seastead is absolutely fixed in location, say like the tension moored N’Kossa, there wouldn’t be a problem, but if the place is designed to weather-vane with changing conditions, say like a Turret mooring, then the tunnel has to connect to something else.

(Danil Kanevets) #31

I suggest you to pay a visit to some numbers and facts about the hyperloop:
Hyperloop Busted by Thunderf00t
Hyperloop Busted II by Thenderf00t

(Larry G) #32

Yeah, I’m pretty skeptical about the hyperloop concept. But undersea tunnels are taking a step forward.

(.) #33

Good luck to all projects!
I am working on my own because there is no rest for the wicked.

8 ounces of PVA (poly vinyl alcohol) for mold release from a car parts
store. It is used for fiberglass mold release.

(Bob LLewellyn) #34

Marinea has the advantage of having already been built but I can sympathize with Musk and others who dare to do something different. Does the technology exist to build a perfect seastead? No, but that doesn’t mean that we can’t have floating cities, only that we need to work a little more on perfecting it. Does the technology exist to make a hyperloop? No, but same argument. I believe in man and his incredible ability to survive and progress.

There are always naysayers making videos about everything wrong in this world but they never lift a finger to build something to correct it. I am personally pulling for Musk as I did Von Braun when they were building the Mercury and Apollo rockets, with the intent of landing on the moon. Did the technology exist then to complete the job? No, but…

(Wilfried Ellmer) #35

Solitaire is capeable to lay 60" pipe for transoceanic pipelines - that is already hyperloop size…

https://allseas.com/equipment/solitaire/

One of the things that is much easier on the ocean than on land is putting tubular connetions that bridge big distances.

Solitaire is a floating factory that produces pipelines in an endless process while it moves on.

It is currently used for pipes that transport stuff like oil and gas, but it is certainly not far fetched to assume, that it could also be used (with few adaptions) to build oceanic hyperloop connections really fast and really cheap.

The hyperloop connections between New Venice and New Atlantis will be much more economic than a new highway between Washington and New York.

Modular Extension | Connectors | Cellular expansion | Building Technology
(Chad Elwartowski) #36

Looks like an interesting way of laying a lot of pipe dynamically.

But the hyperloop relies upon a vacuum to transport the vehicles quickly. A vacuum under water would require a lot of strength to keep it from imploding. Those plastic tubes don’t look strong enough.

Maybe as a fast rail of some sort.

(Wilfried Ellmer) #37

@Elwar | chad, the foto of the plastic tubes is to show the diameter of tubing Solitaire can handle already - those are simple sewage tubings - of course hyperloop tubing is a bit different…

(Chad Elwartowski) #38

Ahh, ok. Could be interesting then.

(Larry G) #39

As Wil says, it’s an interesting example of a technology already in process, and continuous manufacturing is still a developing industry. A few years ago, house gutters had to be built in sections. Now there are several local small businesses in my hometown that provide continuous gutters manufactured on site at your home to any custom length with a press on a trailer behind a pickup truck.

There remain to be advances made in this arena that will bring such things even more in reach economically, while improving the technical aspects of the products.

(Larry G) #40

Buoyant marine rail system: Patent US20060219124A1

Abstract
"A rail system may include a rail buoyant in a fluid, and a vehicle buoyant in the fluid. The vehicle may be electromagnetically and/or mechanically coupled to the rail for movement along the rail."

(Wilfried Ellmer) #41

Actual Hyperloop tubing and construction video | those tube tracks can go over land underwater, under ground etc… but putting them in the ocean is by far the most efficient process to bridge large distances.

This adds a new angle to the vision of New-VENICE, New-Atlantis, Vent Base Alpha and connections between floating oceanic cities in general.
Putting a track along a highway on land crossing all kind of properties is a "high interference project with a lot of "interference cost" associated to it. Putting them in the ocean is both interference free and extremly easy to engineer with a floating pipe laying factory type SOLITAIRE.

I hear Elon Musk is also getting invested in tunnel boring machinery…to move his project beyond “property negociations every few meters along the track”…

Like seasteading it is about " interference freedom ", “fast-track development”, and the opening of new frontiers on many levels.

I don’t know about South American law, but, in the US, it wouldn’t matter, as the property isn’t ‘just’ on top of the ground. That’s how and why so many property buyers get screwed by land purchases not having mineral rights, water rights, etc.