Elon Musk's Hyperloop for connections between seasteads | oceanic business alliance

(Wilfried Ellmer) #1

Tubular connections between seasteads

The ocean facilitates the building float in and connection of long segments of tubes - better than land does - this makes a mile of hyperloop on the ocean much more economic to build.

In a future a hyperloop connection MARINEA - MIAMI might be within the possibilities…

"Ellmer Sphere" Ocean Sphere | oceanic business alliance
Breakaway Civilization | Seasteading | Ocean Colonization | Advanced Oceanic Cities | Atlantis | Enlightenment | Oceanic Business Alliance | next big thing in business
(Mark Stephan) #2

I’ve thought of that too. Maybe a hyperloop from a seastead to land for permanently located settlements.

(Wilfried Ellmer) #3

@MarkStephan, hyperloop is working with tubing that is naturally buoyant Draupner wave resistant and can work as well on the watersurface as below the surface. It also can be prefabricated in long pieces of a mile or so (in floating fabrication sites ) what allows a lightning fast building of the “tracks”.

Yes, naturally buoyant, so the tube will follow the surface of the water to the bottom of the leading trough, be pushed 60 feet (or more) buoyantly to the top of the crest, then crash 60ft (or more) naturally and buoyantly to the bottom of the following trough. After all that action, it will remain intact by the use of concrete and fairey dust, and the drunk stoned $billionaire riders riding unicorns inside the tube won’t feel a thing. [colorful curse word]

(Matias Volco) #5

Perhaps it should not be ridden during hurricanes or extreme bad weather, much like the subway or elevators are generally not used during earthquakes, or hurricanes. I believe even Times Square station was closed down during Sandy, that doesn’t mean it was a bad idea for New York City to have built a subway network, what do you think?

I think it depends partly on the type of seastead. Those of us looking for a laid back rum drinking life in the Bahamas won’t necessarily want a super fast way to Miami & vice-versa. Also, that would run through a little obstacle known as the Gulf Stream. For those of you who don’t know about it, it’s a pretty strong current pushing north between Florida and the Bahamas. That much pressure on a tube running between a floating seastead and land wouldn’t be ideal. For a economic powerhouse seastead with the money to connect a ridiculously expensive subway tube to shore, go ahead. For now, this should probably be in “Wild Ideas.” We need to focus on getting something up first, then we can worry about fancy gadgets. And who would want to invest in connecting a hyperloop between Miami and a pilot project? If the pilot isn’t economically viable, this ain’t happening for sure.

Also Matias, the problem with a rogue wave is that they are unpredictable. We can’t say “Oh, there will be a rogue wave today, don’t ride the subway.”

(Matias Volco) #7

With that in mind I specifically mentioned “hurricane” or bad weather. Things that happen once or twice a year not a century.

(.) #8

You are not getting it. Get on with the program. We are going to Mars.

According to Star Trek, the Borg do it in the future.

That subway wasn’t moving about in Sandy’s 30ft waves either. The NYC subway survived because it simply filled with water as it sat perfectly stationary, before, during, and after the event.

(Matias Volco) #11

Unlike San Francisco’s or Tokyo’s you mean?

Sorry? They had a subway get flooded by Sandy too?

When did the Borg make a tube between the Bahamas and FL? Must have missed that one.

In “First Contact”, the Borg went back to change the future, to prevent the contact with the Vulcan ship after the first FTL travel by humans. A scene of Earth shown from the Enterprise, as they start back in time, shows many tubes or highways between Bahamas and continental usa.

(.) #15

Season 311 episod 3, give or take a couple of houndreds of years

I love First Contact, never saw those tubes. I must re-watch it now.

(Matias Volco) #17

Not exactly… maximum relaxation is achieved upon reliable infrastructure.
Unless this is the kind of lifestyle you were talking about, but the man does not look like a drinker (except of salt water!)

Eh, just a matter of opinion. People looking to get out of the direct clutches of the modern world wouldn’t exactly want the most efficient connecting we have to be connected to them.

Also, it just doesn’t really make sense to build it. Between LA and Frisco, I can see. They are two big population centers, evidently with enough traffic to warrant a faster connection. Building it to a pilot seastead is pointless and a waste of capital.

(Matias Volco) #19

Point well taken. I don’t think the OP ever suggested the hypothetical direct link to be established for the pilot phase of the project (he even used the words future, might, and possibilities). We must always keep in mind a pluralistic approach and avoid single-answers. “If you understand things in only one way, then you don’t understand it at all”, it means, to keep it in perspective (or rather to explore as many perspectives as possible)

In any case a well connected seastead does not necessarily spoil nearby seasteads, on the contrary it allows it to kinda have its cake (privacy, isolation) and eat it too (order cake by amazon) and in no way other more remote seasteads.
And this takes us to the problem of how remote is too remote? Which is explored here: http://discuss.seasteading.org/t/how-remote-is-deadly-remote-for-a-seastead

It was discussed in another thread months ago that cake could be delivered by air. If you don’t mind it being a day old, by next day parcel mail boat. If it can wait a week, send it out on the weekend fishing trip the boys make from the yacht club.