"Ellmer Sphere" Ocean Sphere | oceanic business alliance

… and, your comments from the peanut gallery, as well.

Far be it from me, to describe a 70 meter plate/saucer hull, 10cm thin ferrocement composite, as an initial segment of a 600 meter diameter floating sphere, when it is insufficient for a ferrocement barge, much less a 70 meter diameter hull, or 600 meter diameter sphere.

(Matias Volco) #22

Thank you for your call back to temperance. This is a relevant list you refined to structure the infinite possibilities of tridimensional seasteading. [quote=“ellmer, post:19, topic:1476”]
| surface island for docking | beaches and parks | submersible blimps | seafloor nodes | enclosed controlled nature of an ocean sphere | high intensity agriculture | possibilities unleash | connections | clustering |
[/quote]

I feel encouraged to create a few visualizations of each synthetic topic. I’d more than welcome positive productive collaboration, criticism and competition.

The advantage of a cylinder is that it can be fully enclosed and buoyant within a few pours. Whereas the plate remains vulnerable until the sphere is complete. Equally, once the sphere is complete it’s hard to keep expanding, but the cylinder is only restricted by draught.

I do like the aesthetics of the sphere though.

(Parthasarathi Singh) #24

Personally, I also find the sphere more aesthetically pleasing, but cylindrical modules WOULD be more practical, I suppose. Of course, we could start off by building some of the module’s structures off the coast, on land. That sound good?

(Matias Volco) #25

Yes, but with a cylinder the more you expand it the bigger the ratio between the “payload” or habitat, and the single point of entry, and single vertical communications shaft. In fact vertical communication (seabed elevator) might be a good use for a cylinder vs a sphere.
From a design point of view the big inner atrium is very important. It works as an impluvium or central garden, indistinguishable from Roman Villas and contemporary buildings:

Roman Homes, had no outward facing windows, but one or two central patios instead. The Tabernas or shops did face the street but were not part of the home, only of the estate, as indeed either shops or sheds.

I wouldn’t know where to place that big void space in a cylinder, unless its diameter/height ratio makes it more of a drum than a tower:

(Matias Volco) #26

A smaller sphere or blimp could be built and move relatively fast anywhere in the World.
A 600 m Diameter Sphere, floating city could logically begin as a plate in protected or semi protected waters, and be gradually built up and enclosed as the need arises or consolidates.

I don’t really see that as being a problem, most of the everyday activity probably won’t involve leaving the tower much. And isn’t the same true of a sphere anyhow?

Also, I’m assuming around 1/5th of it would be above the surface, like a flip-ship, so the oculus wouldn’t be the only entry/exit point. Other doors and bridges could be built into the sides, then concreted over as that section is due to become submerged.

I was assuming a central shaft, yes.

Hey, if you’re at the point of building something then don’t listen to me, do your own thing :slightly_smiling: You probably know more than me.

Personally I’m more interested in trying to build on the water though. It means you can potentially build larger structures without needing land based facilities.

(Wilfried Ellmer) #29

Core technologies to build living space protected by a shell at sea.

/ Lens shell pictures overview / / Ramform floating home pictures / / c-shell floating home pictures / / Floating concrete building methods / / shell cluster pictures / / investor proposal list /

(Wilfried Ellmer) #30

to check on tower structures investigate “spar offshore platforms

The big five business fields of ocean colonization: | oceanic transport | oceanic energy | oceanic real estate | deep sea mining | oceanic aquaculture |

You also have to take into account the pressure, at depth. The part that is the bottom has to be engineered for the eventual depth and load, or it will be subject to failure.

Jeff Frusha

Having found a cached copy, note that, in chapter 4, they run the calculations, and start with a 7.96 FOOT thick wall, for a 100 foot diameter sphere, at 2000 ft depth, as a temporarily manned structure.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:0AlUHsTKUlwJ:dtic.mil/cgi-bin/GetTRDoc%3FAD%3DADA176233+&cd=7&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

Jeff Frusha

A 600m sphere, with the top 100m exposed, would have a water pressure of 743 lbs per square inch at the bottom. Since the roof is open, the inside surface of the sphere would be at 1 atmosphere, or about 14 psi.

http://www.calctool.org/CALC/other/games/depth_press

So just a small crack will result in a beautifully explosive fountain. Can you use concrete to fill a crack at the pressure of 743 lbs/inch? Or maybe send a diver on the outside to put a blue tarp over it.

People dive for recreation so maybe someone can fix the crack for entertainment.

Lowest point, theoretically would be below the level of the Dead Sea, and typical air pressure at the Dead Sea is about 15.44 PSI. Might actually make for relief for people with breathing problems, but extended stay, then making a sudden departure/evacuation, could still potentially cause Nitrogen Narcosis/‘The Bends’, as nitrogen accumulates over time, relative to increased pressure. Without study and documentation, I won’t hazard a guess as to the potential need for decompression, across potentially months of habitation at depth.

With diving (out of date and practice, but I am a PADI certified Openwater Diver), Nitrogen Narcosis occurs faster, due to extreme pressures involved.

Another aspect worth noting is the extra training of personnel, for even going into the depths of the Troll A platform, as documented partially, in the following music video/documentary. SHOULD there be a structural failure, odds are it would be catastrophic and kill all but a few of the upper area occupants.

Jeff Frusha

I was assuming they’d start off relatively thin, then add reinforcing and thickness as they build. Alternatively, sure, build it as thick as it needs to be from the get-go.

(system) closed #36

This topic was automatically closed 100 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.