Design strategies: Systems approach

Rather than argue city vs family scale, take a systems approach.

Water can be purified any number of ways, energy has been discussed, etc., but it seems, regardless of my choices and documentation, regardless of accepted expert opinion, such as Robert Ballard, almost everyone neglects waste handling and food production… Two fundamental aspects that affect everything else.

If you cannot feed yourself, you have to import food. If you are dumping sewage, you’re polluting your own immediate environment.

Pick a design… ANY design… Without food, water, and waste handling, it CANNOT function. Even NASA has spent billions of dollars on that set of fundamental needs.

(Kassandra Smith) #2

Great approach to think about.
For waste, I was thinking recycling and composting. there might be a need to only have products that are able to be recycled or composted for the new community.
For food, the Mediterranean diet might be a must have. Seafood from the water surrounds the barges and build green houses for fruits, grain, and vegetables.

Currently living in s 36 ft RV with a Nature’s Head composting toilet. So far, 2 months of daily use without emptying it, other than the tank that catches urine.

The urine is just being dumped and most of the toilet paper goes out with the trash, until I can get the necessary equipment and supplies to build a special anaerobic digester. Then things really begin changing. Each accumulated jug of urine will be used to treat the accumulated toilet paper, prior to use in the digester ( called co-digestion), along with food wastes (raw vegetable trimmings, cooked leftover food, and so on) to make biogas, which will be ‘scrubbed’ to make it nearly pure Methane, which, in turn, will be used as cooking fuel. Digestate/effluent will be used in the garden to fertilize crops.

The waste from the composting toilet will enter a special secondary digester, a Sun-Mar 104 gallon capacity unit. The finished compost will be sanitary and ready to use in the garden as well.

I know people that are using digester effluent , either directly, or diluted, in aeroponic gardening. I’ve seen it used, along with aeration, to grow duckweed, which makes excellent fish food for Tilapia and Cichlids, such as the Rio Grand Perch (not a perch, just resembles one), which can be used in aquaponics, to raise both fish and some vegetables, while many plants can be grown in compost, without any soil whatsoever.

Closing the carbon and nutrient cycle eliminates waste and provides both food and gas for cooking, as well as gas for refrigeration (Servel type absorption refrigerators).

A mixed-use space as a potential systemic solution to multiple aspects of waste handling and food production…

Sewage to biogas treatment, effluent for hydroponics, could include growing duckweed as freshwater fish food, fish/aquaponics combination for leafy green vegetables and other appropriate vegetables…

List of Current Seasteading Projects

Designing for security…

Marine Architect and builder Frank Kowalski designs and builds patrol vessels that can only be entered through an easily defensible rear entry.

This particular video of his latest creation was a world record circumnavigation of Ireland. You can see he also uses the low radar visibility angles surfaces.

Based where he is, his designs also have to be tough and storm worthy…

(Michael David Lipkan) #9

Vertical aquaculture farming can provide biodiversity solutions.