Concrete Reinforced Geodesic Design

(Alexander Tomasik) #1

I’ve developed a building process that utilizes the rigid nature of Geodesic Dome construction with the reinforcement properties of the Monolithic Concrete Dome which will allow for solid seafaring structures that can be built rapidly and at sea. I’d like to see this dream become reality and can answer any questions you may have about it.

The nature of geodesics allows for a high degree of customizability and provides a floating platform that additional parts of the structure can branch off from. How I see the construction processes moving forward is that the domes are built hanging from cranes offshore, and once the main hull of the structure is complete additional construction is done at sea so as to free up cranes for further construction.

Shapes of structures are highly customizable and would provide a high level of safety for occupants aboard. There’d be many functions that these types of buildings could provide for and there’d be money to be made from whatever role was chosen for it. I can discuss some potential roles if you’d be interested in hearing them and the main proposal for the project can be found in the link below as well as additional renders.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4Cnl_6BgN3lbmsyWGNWcU9fak0/view?usp=sharing

[FUB] Family Unit Boat
String Theory O_O
Anything Ever Happen With This?
(Jonas Smith) #2

You want me to download a ZIP? Please just post the pictures in a folder so I can download/view them.

I’m confused. Will the geodesic dome float itself, or will you build geodesic domes on a floating platform?

(Alexander Tomasik) #3

All of it’s in the zip if you download it, specifically the word doc.

The geodesic dome would be the initial floating structure that the rest of the structure would be attached to. Uploading jack452.png…

I think the only one here with money is TSI, and they don’t fund anything.

(Tom ) #5

What type concrete do you use?

(Alexander Tomasik) #6

The Monolithic Dome Institute calls for Shotcrete, though I’d like to see Hempcrete utilized in construction because it’s something that could be grown in agricultural centers and made into manufacturable composite parts that could be produced into various consumer goods for the purposes of profit, which would keep the seastead afloat and provide revenue for outside supplies and goods. I’ve heard Geopolymer Concrete mentioned, though I’m not familiar enough with the material to have a solid opinion about it, it could be a potential solution; another potential material, specifically for the platform outside the main structure, is Concrete Canvas, which would be ideal for creating modular deck sections in a fast and efficient manner.

I hope that answered your question.

(Tom ) #7

I would live to see floating hemp farms producing building materials and textiles, maybe medicine. Is there a reason for the jack design in the folio?

(Alexander Tomasik) #8

Hemp farms would be awesome, and lucrative as well, given the demand in the market and the ability to grow freely in international waters. I think it should be one of the first markets capitalized upon once the agricultural centers are built, and seaweed would be such a good product name.

The jack design is just a suggestion, though I think it’s a good one, based upon the stability of the four dome quadrants, and the design keeps the building process simple and streamlined. The two towers would be nice and provide an excellent view of the surroundings above and below and provide ample connection points for data and energy collection, but it’d also make it difficult to move the structure into shallow water or under any overpasses; so because of that I’d say that the design would be better off with another sphere as the main center point. Essentially it was just the first design that I thought of at the time of putting the proposal together; I think the building process would be able to accommodate a great number of different designs based around the geodesic sphere and connector bridges, maybe they’d even be designed after various molecular structures?

(.) #9

I do not like to download zip files either.

(Alexander Tomasik) #10

I’d post the .doc or the .pdf but the file type isn’t allowed in forum posts.

(.) #11

That is your first obstickle.

(Alexander Tomasik) #12

(.) #13

Have a happy day, and a long happy life.

(Jonas Smith) #14

Just put all the individual files in a folder on Google Drive and make the folder public, then post the link for the folder.

That depends on what nation your floating hemp farm is registered in, and what you are growing it for. As far as I can tell the only two countries that legally allow Cannabis cultivation on an industrial level are North Korea and Uruguay. If you are talking about growing hemp for industrial use then you still need to get a license from the federal agencies that regulate production.

(Alexander Tomasik) #15

What about Canada or Mexico?

You realise that no one here is living on the water, and only a few of us even have a boat? An ag center is a decade down the road, at least. So is what it’s made of. And that’s if some $millionaire starts throwing money at seasteading this week, and that’s not likely to happen. I’m sorry, you have a wonderful dream, but someone hasto interject a bit of reality here occasionally.

(Jonas Smith) #17

First, let’s make the distinction between growing hemp and cannabis. In pretty much every nation it is illegal to grow cannabis except in specific cases for personal use in small quantities. Hemp, on the other hand, is legal to grow in many places for industrial uses (seed, fiber, oil, etc) but often requires a license. You mentioned “hemp farms” so I thought you were talking about hemp, but then you mentioned “medicine” which is cannabis. I’m going to assume you are talking about hemp, the high-growing varieties of the Cannabis plant with very low levels of THC and other cannabinoids.

In Canada, industrial hemp cultivation is legal but highly regulated by Health Canada. As far as I can tell the cultivation of all cannabis plants, even for industrial hemp, is illegal in Mexico.

So you could, in theory, have a floating seastead registered in Canada used as a farm for industrial hemp. You would have to get a license from Health Canada and follow all their federal regulations (which includes genetic testing, frequent reporting, taxes, etc). However, Canada is not considered an “open registry” nation and has pretty restrictive ship registry rules, such as requiring you to be a Canadian citizen or be part of a corporation incorporated in Canada.

EDIT: Before anyone goes off, yes I understand that hemp is cannabis. But most people use the word “hemp” when referring to versions of the Cannabis plant used just for industrial purposes and “cannabis” or “marijuana” when referring to the high-THC versions of the Cannabis plant used for medicinal or recreational purposes.

(.) #18

Games People Play. Human psychology.

I am playing the game of refusing to play pointless games.
This might be the most pointless of them all.

(Chris) #19

If you went this route, Canada has a citizenship by investment program where you can get a 5 year tax break for starting a Canadian company and employing Canadians. So citizenship or forming a corporation shouldn’t be a huge barrier, but something you would need to research.

Alexander,

First off, thanks for posting the link to “concrete canvas;” that’s quite interesting!

FYI, I share the reluctance to download a .zip file from an unknown. If you’d like more interaction, I urge you to post summary diagrams or similar that we can look at, without the risks of unknown files/file types.

Lastly, could you kindly explain what seems like a contradiction in you post?
Monolithic appears prominently in you post, but then you mention modular
How can a thing be both monolithic AND modular? (Color me interested but very confused.)

Making large, monolithic structures gets expensive, IMHO more than linearly with mass or volume. On the other hand, modular designs might be better, but there is an added cost for having to design and fabricate all of the joints. I think the size of modules (in modular designs) is key. Too large, and they’re hard to make and move, but too small and the cost of joints/joining becomes a problem.

Thoughts?