Conceptual drawings in the media represented as reality

You know, I’ve always wondered. How exactly are they planning to keep all that sand on the platform? As waves smash against the beach, it will take away some of that sand and not add more. After a few weeks, they won’t be any sand left. Considering that this thing is a platform and not a beach, how is the sand going to stay there?

Are they going to keep dredging up that sand from the bottom of the coast? Won’t that drive up operation cost?

The Tahiti Seastead convention
(Chad Elwartowski) #2

It’s a pretty concept drawing. No reality to it.

@Elwar
Which makes it false advertising. The title said “Realistic, Sustainable and Coming Soon”. Why can’t they just use the real designed concept, I wonder. Personally if I’m a potential investor (which I’m not, but let’s just assume I am), I will have a hundred questions when I see this picture and I’d have the gut feeling that most of it will not be answered.

The design in the picture is neither realistic, sustainable nor coming soon.

The real design may not be as cool or pretty, but I’d take facts over fantasy any day.

(Chad Elwartowski) #4

False advertising by Huffington Post, which does not tend to post many facts anyway.

The designs being shown are from TSI’s design competition. I am sure the final design will be created by actual marine architects that are paid professionals.

(Bob LLewellyn) #5

A visual redering of the Huffington Post
fake_gnus

(.) #7

I would use the politically correct term “cultural misunderstanding”.

Just like taking Silicon Valley lifestyle to French Polynesia:
it might work, might not.

Euro Disney did not work and Walmart did not succeed in Germany.

(Larry G) #8

The problem is that only conceptual images are being presented in a context of verbally saying “realistic and feasible.”

The natural tendency of all human beings is to compare those two conflicting data points and draw a conclusion. The conclusion is naturally, “bullshit”. Unfortunately, that conclusion is then extended to the whole concept, not just to the fantasy art.

As a movement, we CANNOT keep going on fantasy art. We should be eliminating it from the mainstream conversation. We should not provide it to journalists who will run with it as if it is a real design alongside a conversation. It makes the whole movement look foolish.

Concepts < design < engineering plan < execution.

It’s past time for concepts. Most of them have been discussed to death, and a handful stand out as possible. Even fewer appear feasible.