Completely New Bergstead Video

(Rich) #1

Hi Everybody. Its been a few years since I even looked at this website. So, after a few years living in my truck (2012-2017) I got into selling cars here in Southern California. This afforded me the chance to get a roof over my head and put together a pretty awesome desktop workstation computer. You know I always wanted to build photo realistic images of my previous designs that I posted since 2010. Now, I can even make videos! This one is not really that advanced but gives the idea, needs a lot more improvement. In fact it has even changed significantly since I rendered this video.

I always appreciated how people would rip up my ideas on this forum, because it gave me some good objections to overcome. So maybe now Ill come back for more. Hope you like my work.

-Rich Allen

(.) #2

I like your work. Welcome back.
Good to hear from you. I am glad you are doing well.

(noboxes) #3

I am glad you are doing better. This thread is depressing.

(Wilfried Ellmer) #4

@shredder7753 | welcome Rich, you should consider in your project, that this design will have this kind of movements in VERY moderate wave ambient…

Context of ambients where boxy design is already existing (and doing well ) in the floating home segment.

(Rich) #5

Thanks everybody for a warm welcome. Wil, I do remember this video since you showed it to me years ago and a lot of your concerns played heavily into the design of the Bergstead in 2011. So the key differences are (1) the naval base appears to have a flat bottom with flat sides, and we all agreed that FLAT surfaces with sharp corners are not too good in waves. (2) The CENTER OF BOUYANCY is, apparently well above the waterline. The Bergstead has a giant solid mass of concrete hanging below it, which acts like a pendulum. It drastically lowers the center of bouyancy. (3) The amount of MASS IS TOO LOW so the naval base gets tossed around. The Bergstead is estimated to weigh 10,000 US tons, as much as an Arleigh Burke Class guided missile destroyer, so the Bergstead will not get tossed around. The walls are 0.5 meters thick - about 20 inches solid steel reinforced concrete. (4) The Bergstead MOORING LINE is tied to 1 corner which effectively becomes the “bow”. It looks like this naval base is tied on all 4 corners which means it gets pulled in basically 4 different directions. (5) The Bergstead is actually SUBMERSIBLE. I built a submersible scale model of the design in 2011.

(Wilfried Ellmer) #6

@shredder7753 | Good luck with your project…

context:

C-shell | box style | floating homes already exist |

Welcome back Shreddy & company! :blush: The videos are looking good.

I guess the proper term was “constructive criticism”. :wink:

No, you are depressing.

(noboxes) #8

He put time and money into a video of an imaginary 20 Million pound floating box, with three go-fast boats.

And also, you forgot to mention the basketball court on the top deck while everybody knows that white boys can’t jump.

(noboxes) #10

Nah, i pretty much skidded to a halt when i realised what would happen to that one go-fast in the garage when a wave entered it.

(.) #11

On the Pacific Ocean the waves are bigger.
The image of the structure is good.

(Ali) #12

Hi

The video looks good, nice work. I have a question regarding the floating stability. Why the platform is submersible? To keep floating stability during stormy weather conditions by submersion?

Thanks, regards

Ali

(Chad Elwartowski) #13

Welcome back. The submersible concept is always intriguing. I guess it would be akin to someone living in tornado alley having a storm shelter.

I hope that all ideas for the technology will add to the evolution of seasteads to the point where what we are considering now is nothing like what we will have 20-50 years from now. The key being that we need to start experimenting to get to that point.

(Rich) #14

Sales. The answer to all of your concerns is sales. Products get better because people buy them. No sales means no R&D, no infrastructure, and no social/political momentum.

Spark the waves are bigger in the middle of the Pacific, but this is designed for 10-30 miles off shore in water between 500 to 5000 ft deep. It needs to be moored so the mooring lines get expensive.

(noboxes) #15

Why not moor in ways that are inexpensive??

(.) #16

I know mooring lines. Cheap.

(noboxes) #17

@spark , can i use 100ft lengths of power company wire to moor with?

(Alex Smith) #18

what about the underwater part?

(noboxes) #19

The underwater part is damp, but is usually moored along with the rest of the boat or barge…?

(Alex Smith) #20

no i mean the shape, i guess its looooog enought deep in the water to avoid the shake of ship