Cheap and realistic approach?

(Alex Smith) #42

of course its relative, with so many demands of fish, why you think people will sell fish to you as fertilizer not to those people who eat them and can offer a higher price?

i am not meaning sarcasm someone, as you can see, i said no offense, english is not my native lang, if i made someone feel unpleasurant, i am sorry.

but i still need to ask have you ever verify the facts? since you said that? how many fish the sea could suply in a year? also what’s the price of them per pounds? and how many fertilizer could each pounds of fish made?

@Shiina_Ai

(Alex Smith) #43

yes, using fish heads looks doable, except nowaday, most ocean-fishing ship producing fish on board, you need to make deal with them to cutting the head to you and then freeze the rest fish meat. this add many costs to them i think. but still doable

(Larry G) #44

No worries @alex_smith, but you are missing the point. Fish is currently a major component of commercial fertilizer. This is not speculation. This is fact.

Yes, high value fish meat would not and should not be diverted away from food. But by catch, residue, and fish which isn’t processed in a timely manner (spoiled) is already being used this way, as are fish remnants from oil pressing of “bait fish”.

If you live in the middle of the ocean, or even in a seaside village, fish is not expensive food. It’s cheaper than many other types of food. It may be the only food. So value is relative. In the ocean environment, fish is not too expensive to be fertilizer.

People who reside in the ocean mostly are involved in catching and processing fish. So if you become a seasteader, chances are you will be catching and processing your own fish, or somebody close to you will be, no need to try to convince somebody else to save the heads and bones for you.

(Alex Smith) #45

thanks for point me that, i’d never knew that fact.

in my opinion, i often saw news reporting chinese(yes i am a chinese) fishing ship went to all over the world to do illegal fishing, that made me get the point, that fish is become more and more less, otherwise, why those fishing ship went to do illegal fishing on other countries’s sea

i think the current problem is how big would us bealive that the future seasteading city would be? it might be just enough for 1 thousands citizens
but how about a city like hongkong? for 8M citizens, are there still enough fish?

every lives need energy, and we all know energy convertion rates, to rise much fish we need to rish enough foods for them, and their foods, mostly is algae or other plants, as the solar power is about 400w per square meter, so there might be an upper limits . well i want to do some caculation

[quote=“alex_smith, post:42, topic:2590, full:true”]but i still need to ask have you ever verify the facts? since you said that? how many fish the sea could suply in a year? also what’s the price of them per pounds? and how many fertilizer could each pounds of fish made?

@Shiina_Ai
[/quote]

1. Have I verified the fact?
    Yes. Fish as fertilizer is nothing new. It’s actually very common because unlike NPK chemical fertilizer, it not only feeds the plant, it feeds the soil. It also does not harm the water table, a completely safe fertilizer.
  2. How many fish the sea can supply a year?
    That depends on where you live. If you live on the coast, only half of your total area can supply fish, and if you live near a busy port, your immediate coast will not be able to supply any fish and you have to depend on sea that is further out. If you live in the middle of the ocean, 200 nautical miles of water is all yours to fish, and you can even go further outside that area to fish if your neighbours are fine with it. This is a huge area. If you live on land, then of course your region can’t supply much fish. This supply of fish can be further extended by building a fish farm, and this can push the price of fish even lower.
  3. also what’s the price of them per pounds?
    This is a question that cannot be answered. You have to first ask yourself the following:
    a) What fish?
    b) What variant of that fish?
    c) Where do you live?
    d) Where is that fish sourced from?
    e) How far does the transport have to go to deliver you that fish from its source?
    f) What kind of transport will be required?
    g) How much is fuel price (diesel) in the route the transport will have to take?
    h) What is the demand of that fish in your area?
    i) How scarce is that fish variant in the source area?

As it stands, your question is waaayyy too broad. If you still wish for an answer, I’d say it can be between US$1 per kilogram to USD$2000 per kilogram because I include all kinds of fish, including blue whales. If your live in an area surrounded by ocean, it’s much, much cheaper. And you do not need to worry about whether or not it’s edible, rotten fish is just as well. Caught an octopus and nobody wants to eat it? Use it. Got expired mussels? Scoop it up and turn it into fertilizer. My example was taking into mind the most basic method of fish fertilizer practiced for ages since the time of the Ancient Egyptians.

For the record, you don’t have to use high value fish. Don’t use tuna, cod or whatever high value fish that sells better as food. Use cheap fish that people aren’t really fond of eating, like maybe halibut or herring. Both I’ve never eaten in my entire life.

1. how many fertilizer could each pounds of fish made?
    This is not a question that I can answer with any measure of accuracy. As I said, I’m a novelist and a fashion model, I acquire my answers from people who are experts in their field. I am not an authority in this field.

(.) #47

Gradual development:

FAD: fish aggregating device. There are some.
anchored in deep water under surface. It takes a boat to go there.
GPS location can be recorded to find it. It could be deep enough not
to cause a navigation hazzard.

Going fishing: going fishing to or near vicinity of the FAD. May be
a small surface buy with a GPS coordinate transmitter on it for
easy find.

Attaching: Fishing boat can be attached to the FAD, and that would
resemble to deep water anchoring.

Strengthening: FAD system could be strengthened to make it better
for deep water anchoring. Multiples of this can be arranged in near
vicinity of each others.

Specially built vessels: building specially designed vessel for deep water
anchoring. I guess, that would be hydrodynamic hulls, could be full of,
or partially filled with, buoyant material, like polyurethane foam, that would keep the vessel afloat and anchored, even if the hull is filled with water.

And so on. After that point specially designed floating structures could be
built, positioned for different reasons (living space, storage, breaking waves … etc)

Regular vessels could be still anchored at such anchoring sites, and used for the same reason (living space, storage, breaking waves … etc).

And so on, and forth…

(noboxes) #48

How did that work, @spark @Spark ?

(noboxes) #49

I hear some sport fishing captains in the GOM have permission to sink certain artificial reef shapes the fish find attractive, and then they bring their customers out to fish them. Periodically, they take out a barge with more cast cement-concrete pieces, and “place them on the bottom” so they can guarantee more fish will be caught. They keep the locations secret.

The shapes can be found online, the best seem to look like fake xmas trees, or tapered mezzanine cookie holders, or such, with assorted details. Easy to make by hand, easier to make with some reuseable jigs.

I was thinking of hanging them under my place, where they could get some sunlight. Because i hope i can be where the water is 60ft or deeper.