Can a seastead convert Fonseca bay into an economic center

(Wilfried Ellmer) #1

Continuing the discussion from Discussion about ZEDE and autonomy:

@InsteadofPolitics, your book Instead of Politics is considered " …an intriguing addition to the literature of freedom…" by Don Stacy, Mises.org.

So you are definitly a heavy weight in the field of market theories in my universe.

This means i rather listen what you have to teach me, than opening my mouth to say something stupid. Like you i am not a fan of centrally planned anything - and that includes infrastructure - obviously.

My in part reserved opinion about the location Fonseca Bay is not primarily based on economics theory - it is more based on the perception that a seaseatead will probably develop along the lines of Venice which is the closest thing to a seastead history has seen. Although autonomous it is extremly well connected to all european economic arteries it even features a train connection with a direct train to Vienna.

My concern is not even that develop Fonseca to a new Singapore can not be done, the concern is rather that it needs a awful amount of upfront money to start this development and create the infrastructure to bring it to the point of first operation. Instead of creating the infrastructure of trade i would have expected a baystead to be plugged into existing highways of trade.

In short the concern is not can it be done or not - everything can be done. The concern is about the “awful long shot” that Fonseca Bay requires. Will investors go this long way upfront ?

Venice, 300m shore distance, well connected to a well developed Hinterland, dominating seatrade, a winning business plan.

New Venice the same base idea but solving the technology bottleneck - no doubth that we can sell high price prime real estate on this floating island. But can we sell high price real estate to investors in the jungle area of Fonseca ?

Real Estate Paradigm Shift | oceanic business alliance | oceanic real estate | floating real estate |
(Wilfried Ellmer) #2

modern baystead development well connected to the Hinterland

I’d prefer not to trash a jungle, honestly. We’re already losing too much of the ones we got left. However, building offshore and then doing eco-tourism stuff would probably be decently profitable. Considering how there are a bunch of mountains (extinct volcanoes I think) right around the bay in two different countries, ecotourism would be pretty damn profitable indeed. That and trade up and down the coast, maybe. Not a huge market, but with Nicaragua trying to do it’s own Panama Canal, the amount of trade in the area is bound to increase. Perhaps we could be the sort of import/export hub for the areas around the coast, connecting small markets on shore (the bay is to shallow in most places for larger ships) to global markets.

(Matias Volco) #4

Singapore is on the Straits of Malacca one of the very few points in the World where Oceans meet at non sub-arctic latitudes.
A more ideal location is hard to find, only Suez, Gibraltar and Panama and their surrounding areas might compete.

In any case, in phase 1, all of the World’s protected waters will benefit, but a phase 1 development will only transform into an economic center only an already existing expanding city or town that has outgrown its restricted territory like Gibraltar, Monaco, Singapore, the Maldives, or maybe a peninsula.

I’m thinking different places would work better for different styled seasteads. For example, looking at Fonesca Bay on Google Earth indicates that a lot of it is pretty shallow, it has some beautiful mountains and coasts around it, and a few small towns (and small airports), and a decent amount of farmland. This place is obviously not the place to build a new Singapore, it’s off the main trade routes or close enough between major hubs that it wouldn’t be needed as a stopover point. It would work much better for tourism/eco-tourism, based off the surroundings. The availability of nearby farms means a tourism based seastead could get plenty of fresh food, which tastes best, and people like to eat cleaner food in general.

Other places would be much better for trade or tech hubs or something else, but looking at the bay itself and it’s location, those don’t really stand out. The only way i could see it becoming a decent trade hub is if Honduras gets some big highways over there and makes itself a decent port in the area (since the bay would be pretty good for it). If Honduras’ major/sole pacific port was there, a trade-based seastead would be good. But until then, I wouldn’t think it can be a major economic center.

(Matias Volco) #6

The way it could become a (local) economic center is by acting as a free zone (zona franca) between the three politically divided Central American countries

Fine idea, you got a grip on the problem and expressed it well. But until TSI provides some proof they have a seastead floatie in Fonseca, it’s still jumping the gun a bit to be picking out places to drop anchor.

Cities don’t get built overnight. The Floating City will be no different. It will start with a 150’x150’ float and that will be just a Floating Settlement. When they’ll get to 5 floats it will be the Floating Village and at 20 floats a Floating Town.

Unless, of course, somebody will invest $1 billion upfront for the town version.

So, speaking about “a major economic center” or that the Floating Town will be converting Fonseca Bay into a mecca of some sort is plain and simple a waste of grey matter at this point in time.

(John Frederic Kosanke) #9

The bay can be developed incrementally. Once Honduras agrees to grant full autonomy to its portion, a private flotilla of small vessels would have incentives to move to the protected area. Ecotourism and mariculture could begin to be developed together before any floating platforms are built. A seaplane or two could operate privately without any major investment, and provide access for residents, visitors, and products. Peripheral markets would cater to the slowly growing community. Las Portadas could offer security and legal services for those who want it, and provide an incremental return for those who participate in marketization that does not threaten marine life. Using Fonseca as a launch pad could demonstrate the validity of free-market environmentalism on a large scale.

(Wilfried Ellmer) #10

Ports in Central and South America…Pacific coast

Connections to mayor population centers “markets” and international eco-tour flight tourism would be?

Alternative Panama Channels ( in talk about). If Nr.2 gets built Fonseca might be “in business” TSI needs to talk to the Chineese rather than to Honduras on that…The finance muscle required is paramount…

In this context read : Canal mania hits central america.… suggested projects.

(system) closed #11

This topic was automatically closed 100 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.