Building Barges Using Advanced Concrete Methods?

(Ztevan Whyte) #146

Just add calcium Bentonite to the concrete aka Bentonite clay.

Bentonite looks like a million pin needles under the microscope so that should give good adhesion properties to your mix.

Cheers <3

Their site claims they sell bagged mix, as well as delivered trucks.

I’m not looking for a bucketful.

I can calculate dimensions and build my own moulds, so I don’t need some engineering firm to do that. I need specs. and information to make what I’m trying to make. Then I need supplies to build at least 2, so I have an operational and a demonstrational model, in order to make a business.

I need to know it will attach with strength and seal every time, which OPC cannot do. If someone hits it with a tractor, I need to be able to clean it and repair it to as near original strength as possible, every time, which OPC cannot do.

(noboxes) #148

Then geopoly will never sell. This house has approx 6000 bags of OPC and several redi-mix truckloads. I did not commit to any investment, and did not sign any NDA. I did not attempt to reverse engineer any of it. I expect the same with geopoly. If people who are in the business of selling it are refusing to do so, i will continue using steel. I have not had to sign an NDA to use it, and i have not tried to reverse engineer it. I think someone needs new more believeable reasons to refuse customers.

(Larry G) #149

Indeed, I would like to be in the business of making something with geopoly. Not in the business of making geopoly. I have no desire to experiment with the chemistry. I want to experiment with the physical characteristics of the finished product.

(Larry G) #150

A couple pallets is hardly a bucketful. But it gives a lot of material for small-scale backyard testing. Even for local contractors who build significant structures, they want to start with something reasonably small to learn and test with.

(noboxes) #151

i would want to make up some 6x12 inch slabs of different thicknesses, with and without basalt, for the obvious testing. Aka “do i want to trust my life to this in the open ocean?”. There’s a somewhat famous university competition each year that makes cement canoes, and another that makes human-powered submarines. I don’t know of any that used geopoly or basalt, and i must wonder why.

(Nick Gencarelle) #152

We have had over a dozen of the concrete canoe colleges use basalt mesh in the last few years.
Are you not willing to try and use our UHPC instead of the geo-polymers? We are willing to sell it but you need a high shear mixer to make it correctly. It is far stronger and impermeable.

(noboxes) #153

But it doesn’t bond as well to basalt fiber or steel, and new material in patches does not bond to the old material as well. This is pretty important for repairs and expansion projects.

Must we sign an NDA to read the use and end results of the students and basalt?

You know, this is too much like work. I have steel outside and the welder is already set up. Later…

(Nick Gencarelle) #154

They are selling so much they just built another factory. But things need to be considered like local a aggregates. This is another world of sorts and to do it right you do not just sell bags like Portland and let anyone do whatever they want with different results. More exacting but made for specific projects with precise design considerations. They really could give a shit if you don’t want to follow the correct path.

(Nick Gencarelle) #155

No NDA to use basalt it is ready to go. Call me if you want to use it and yes it bonds very well.

(Nick Gencarelle) #156

A ceramic cement Magnesium Phosphate bonds great to itself. C3

(Nick Gencarelle) #157

Call me if you want that.

I need to be able to mix various sized batches, both on and off site, with what equipment I can afford, or they can find, until I have my own stuff.

Just trying to start, on a Disabled Veterans income?

High shear mixer? Not going to happen anytime soon.

OPC isn’t likely to bond like I need. That’s why I’m concentrating in Geopolymer.

If absolutely necessary, I CAN produce a working Geopolymer Formula, but then I’m working both ends against the middle, trying to get supplies to mix Geopolymer, while trying to build a new business to use it in a specific application.

What I’m starting with, they sell moulds for, build up in sections, slab/body/neck, but it ALWAYS leaks. I need better, now, not after 20 years building up a business, so I can buy really expensive equipment.

(noboxes) #159

And seems to be as strong as plaster of paris.

They are using it to patch concrete roadways, bridges and such, so the early, weak formulas have been replaced.

(Nick Gencarelle) #161

12-13,000 psi is not weak. Why state crap without looking it up? Really makes me want to not reply or be involved.

(noboxes) #162

I did look it up. I read it hardens to 3000 psi in an hour, and 8000 psi in 24 hours, and then the guy held it in his hand and tapped it with a 10oz hammer and busted it. And then he said “as strong as plaster of paris”. Maybe he did it wrong, but he seems to have made a lot of it, and had been selling it. I’m sorry @Nick, but sometimes, with unusual materials, we haveto use the data sources we randomly find on the internet, vs professional sources.

(Nick Gencarelle) #163

Are you looking at C3 ceramiccement?

(Nick Gencarelle) #164

Not mag oxide mag phos

(noboxes) #165

This is difficult for me to spend any time on. I just read a pdf by a salesman for CeraTech’s Mg cement, in which he says “Also, unlike Portland cement, MgO cements will not
drain the charge out of a car battery left overnight on a floor made with as little as 20% MgO content.”. I just cannot trust anything he says after that. Maybe i’ll look at the topic again tomorrow. Your sales are based on what nonsense we find online.