Building an underwater habitat

(noboxes) #41

Wasn’t that Florida hotel with a submerged certified guest room have it up for sale a while ago? Maybe it’s still available.

Just trying to help, sorry i am such an asshole.

(Torrey Jones) #42

Not unique to being underwate, you even say as much in your very next sentence.

ok, fair point. Not sure it really justifies the added complexities, though, YMMV.

I’m going to have to dispute this claim, and I think NASA would tend to disagree with that as well. A dozen rovers on Mars, and a hundred probes flying throughout the Sol System. We use ROVs all the time already in marine exploration. We do this for biological exploration as well as geological exploration. We do this just to take water samples in an area.

While I don’t dispute this point, it’s a difficult sell to anyone except the adrenaline junkies, and I think that they would be sorely disappointed in the reality of such a situation.

ok, now you’ve got my curiosity peaked, because those are the kinds of areas that I’d be trying to attract to my own Steading. I’ve looked into this some, just as exploration of ideas kind of thing, but I’ve yet to find one that was what you’re describing. Would you be willing to discuss it privately? (I’m willing to NDA if necessary, but I’m more interested in generalities rather than your specific ideas) I’ve looked at a lot of different technologies and industries, and while some benefit from having access to the ocean, or even the ocean floor, none I can think of either require a sub-surface location or would even be benefited by it.

Regardless, I wish you luck!

(Brendon Traxler) #43

@Nostagar you seem to want to make this an argument more of a discussion. there are many different paths and a lot of area that needs explored and colonized. i believe in the Seasteading purpose and it NEEDS to happen. i also believe in underwater colonization and it NEEDS to happen, my passion is just more with the latter. we are all here for whatever reason; be it political, financial, exploratory, etc. Let’s work together and share knowledge and resources that will benefit each other.

I’m not going to refute or discuss any of the above already because it ultimately serves no function.

we can chat privately if you’d like!

(Brendon Traxler) #44

Jules Undersea Lodge? Not that I am aware of and I was just speaking with a former employee from there last month and he didn’t mention it. Either way it would not server the needs I have for my vision.

But thanks!

(Brendon Traxler) #45

My original concepts were based around the ORES sphere design. I abandoned that many years ago and have gone with a more conventional design style, more along the lines of the Aquarius Undersea Lab.

My designs is a few large cylinders joined together and kept at surface pressure for longer stays without the need to be saturated.

(Torrey Jones) #46

I’m not trying to be argumentative. I’m trying to understand what unique benefits there would be to building on the ocean floor, because I’m just not seeing it.

If I ask a question, 2 + 2 = ? and you answer 16, wouldn’t you expect me to ask how you got 16? I asked what you get by being on the ocean floor, and you answer with benefits that can be had at the surface, then it’s not really a benefit of being on the ocean floor.

As much as I loved SeaQuest and The Abyss as a kid, I don’t agree that it’s something that NEEDS to happen. Should happen, yes, absolutely, but not need. I will agree whole heartedly that 2/3rd’s of our planet’s natural resources are down there for the exploitation, that there are really good reasons for a lot of things, and I’m open to being convinced otherwise, but at this point, I just don’t see it. If I’m working under false assumptions or incomplete or erroneous data, I desperately want that situation corrected.

(noboxes) #47

My interest was piqued, but not peaked.

(Wilfried Ellmer) #48

…ahh… | saturation diving habitat | caission | …nobody who i know, thinks this is an (ocean colonization technology) idea he would want to invest in…our group is rather going down the road of the “ocean sphere” | pressure hulls | advanced cement composite technology |

…saturation diving as a way to ocean colonization was last advocated by Cousteau and since completly dumped…even by the commercial diving industry - which went for 1atm suits, robotics, and remote presence, instead, to get work done in the ocean .

… it is for a good reason…ask Phil Nuytton… he is on the heart of this paradigm shift…how humans access the ocean today. (ORES is not really a caisson - never was…it is a sphere because the hull is taking the hydrostatic pressure in first place ) Aquarius is a sat hab …

...so if you pretend to go down the way of "saturation diving cities" - good luck on that - you lost me on this point for the reasons mentioned...

(noboxes) #49

COOL!! I am going to pretend to do that too!!

(Wilfried Ellmer) #50

check | underwater habitat |

Great ! lets embrace plurality and multiple approaches in the movement ! - good luck :+1:

(Brendon Traxler) #51

Just a difference of opinion I guess. People are drawn to different things for different reasons, sometimes when logic isn’t even on their side.

I’m not always convinced an open forum is the best place for some discussions out of respect for other members.

If this is really something you want to discuss in more detail we can do so privately, but really my purpose for being here is to share ideas and find like minded people to bounce ideas off of.

(Brendon Traxler) #52

Maybe I wasn’t clear. My designs and my focus is to avoid all forms of saturation diving and to ultimately keep people at the same atmosphere as that of the surface.

I think we are on the same page that saturation diving and habitats which implement this will not bring on the future of underwater colonies, cities, etc.

(Wilfried Ellmer) #53

it will burn down to the most basic problem.
| submarine pressure hull |

• How can i deploy the minimum of material to make a maximum of space that is not suitable for human habitation (waterspace) suitable for such habitation.

The simple answer - if you think it trough - is the ocean sphere…

• how to handle hog / sag
• how to handle Draupner impacts
• how to optimize for hydrostatic load
• how to handle stress in the skin and leave the inner space without structural members that limit design options

The simple and clear cut answer - is always the ocean sphere…

just as the Dyson Sphere is the logical endpoint of space colonization -

there are “evolutionary steps” to come to the endpoint…sphere cluster structures, bubble cluster structures, especially when doing surface floating design…go to the @Matias | Matias Volco forum to get the basics…

(Brendon Traxler) #54

When I first started designing and thinking about this 25 years ago I went with spheres due to the benefits in pressure that they offer. The problem with any round object is that there is a lot of wasted space and therefore you have to go larger to make up for all the round areas. I eventually went with cylinders, but even then there are still round walls to contend with.
If you go super deep reverting back to a sphere design may make sense, but for most instances it’s completely unnecessary and doesn’t benefit you any.

(noboxes) #55

So you would be building approximately a tube designed around WW2 submarine proportions (15ft - 20ft dia, ~200ft pressure tube), push a couple mobile homes into it, push the life support (HVAC, washer/dryer, watermaker, batteries, and cabinets) off into the round space-waster sections, and call it home? How much would this cost?

(Brendon Traxler) #56

here is a preliminary design. Obviously some things will change once engineering gets done with it, but this is the basic “spirit” of it.

Good luck. I hope you can do that safely. Negative pressure, vs the surrounding water, will be a pain to seal and maintain.

(.) #58

Good luck. Looks good. How deep?
Instead of one big window, would it be better many smaller ones? I donno.

Of my thinking; underwater facilities would be always part of a seastead, in
my case, of a kelp field. anyways, my kelp field is not built yet. I got to go work on it.

(Wilfried Ellmer) #59

• | building an underwater habitat | ocean colonization technology |

The bigger you get the smaller the “alleged round wall problem” becomes. In a 20m sphere it has disappeard…for all practical means… that is the size of a small shopping center…it is really a no brainer…

Even in a sphere of just 9m diameter living space distributes very nice. (conshelf sphere)

design comes in when thinking about what you put inside the ocean sphere (where the people live) and how…

check Mati´s sketches available all over internet - to get an idea how that works…just google |

matias volco design | ocean sphere

good luck with your own design effort…

(Brendon Traxler) #60

Thanks. Yeah it will, but it has to happen to move forward so better to face it and figure it out now.