Breakwater Design

(Matias Volco) #303

indeed a ramform base could work along with drifting spheres to mange a small or large scale aquaculture operation

(Matias Volco) #304

the movement would be around the mooring axis, very close to the bow

So far, the only Ramform converted and on a turret mooring, has that turret amidships, roughly 1/2 the length back from the bow.

Yes, agreed. Thanks.

My original post was reflecting upon a situation in which neither the SWORD nor the Floating City was tethered.

If the SWORD was not tethered, it would drift back into the Floating City. In that case, separation of the two would require continuous maintenance.

The use of tethering is a trade-off. With the tether, there is loss of full mobility and the problems related to the tethering line.

Without the tether, there is a different rate of drift between the SWORD and the Floating City that requires management. Plus, geopositioning would have to be maintained.

(Matias Volco) #307

All of that can be a plus or a challenge depending on context and scale. Stationary is default and easily solved with a turret anchor so that the entire structure rotates in the same fashion as a small sailboat on a buoy, or the Natural Gas “shipstead” Prelude out in the Typhoon-affected Indian Ocean.

Ramforms can still be easily and slowly towable, but, drifting or orbiting has been discussed more in relation to underwater objects instead, which can hatch into currents at snorkel depth.

(Larry G) #309

(Larry G) #310

Picture a floating breakwater design. It is not intended for occupation. It would be a pure breakwater, potentially it could have a dual purposes for freshwater storage, but this would be somewhat complex.

It is massive, and therefore expensive. It is not very mobile. It is turret-moored, in a sense. Rather than the turret rotating around a vertical access, it has dual turrets, one on each end with a horizontal axis. This limits the number of catenary anchor lines possible, perhaps to three on each turret. The massive body of the breakwater is allowed to “roll” in response to swells, which makes it dissipate some of the energy. It absorbs some and dissipates it through gravity/displacement heaving. The varying angles of the multiple faces of the breakwater both engage the swells more fully and cause the swell to break across the length at different times. Although pictured as a star-shaped cylinder here, it could be a spiral, or have a number of different armatures of various length and internal buoyancy, as complex as is financially feasible.

So the usual “bow” design isn’t necessary for this … only energy refraction and dissipation?

How would this design stay pointed into the oncoming waves?

(Larry G) #312

I imagine multiple sections surrounding a protected installation. It’s possibly moored in tension rather than turret moored with catenary lines.

(Larry G) #313

Maybe reduce it to 3 flapper doors, rather than multiple small ones, for a more robust design? Just my opinion. Can’t see having so many moving parts and not being fragile.

This could also be adapted for the bottom system I believe will work to create an open-top ‘lagoon’ like the water above a Japanese Pufferfish ‘mandala’

(Ali) #316

I have never heard about such kind of breakwater, seems great idea but for deep water, it will be difficult to supply enough strong air bubbles. If you can do this again difficult to reach to sea surface, because of tide, wave etc.

To me, it has similar appearance and properties of the Japanese Pufferfish ‘mandala’ nest… (and other species do, similarly), controlling the water flow inside the nests for fresh, aerated, but regulated flow as well. Certain parasites have teeth in a similar arrangement for stable attachment and the collection of oxygenated fluids, as well.