Breakwater Design

(Matias Volco) #203

The breakwaters are not just walls but “tubes” with protected, sun drenched dry space where intensive traditional agriculture and gardening could be practiced.

In my view, at least in the beginning, most vegetables would better come from land, while a V-shaped seastead could export surplus seafood. The calm water lagoon is ideal to operate embryo aquaculture, shellfish aquaculture, and launch open water deepwater operations.

A lot of aquaculture combined with some gardening for fresh greens and chlorophyll run off could begin creating a rich ecosystem, attracting wild fish and birds, and creating an oasis of life and nutrients at sea:

Those designs are not Ramforms. That’s misuse of the term, which IS patented, by Roar Ramde, of Norway. The REAL Ramform hull design is currently in use for surveying for the offshore oil and gas industry, and by the Norwegian Navy with certain vessels.

(Wilfried Ellmer) #205

For the sake of not boring the auditorium please do not repeate what was already discussed and exhaustivly treated on this thread…the irrelevancy of the patent of your buddy Roar in that context has been pointed out sufficiently there on page 304.

Then quit using the term improperly. It’s like saying as cat is a horse because they’re both mammals.

(Wilfried Ellmer) #207

Good that my choice of terms is not dependent on " frusha endorsement ". In my universe Ramform is a “general shipbuilding” term just like apple is a fruit and not only a company…i know you are confused about the reach of patents in general - read the details up in the links supplied…do not bore the auditorium with repitition and obsession - it has been treated enough…and your “pretended patent discussion” is as misplaced as it gets in the Breakwater Design thread. (if you want it open a reach of my buddies patent - and why nobody shall speak my patent word thread good luck on that - but boring -)

Anything important - and quality debate stimulating - you have to say about the presented hypothesis that a small seastead will be well served with a bow instead of a seawall type breakwater ?

Anything enlightening on the topic that a seawall type breakwater needs a size and mass of monaco breakwater, mulberry harbor, or oostershelde…and is therefore not feasible for small application ?

No, it is NOT some ‘general’ term. Dingy is a general term, Yacht is a general term, “Ramform” has a very specific set of design requirements, in order to BE called Ramform. Your constant ignoramic chanting of the term does not make those monstrous CGI pics resemble the Ramform, but it confuses the issue, for anyonw that doesn’t know better.

For someone that wants to appear scholarly, your idiotic redundant repetition of the term does not make those things Ramform.

Quality debate would mean there is a debate, rather than you chanting a cool-sounding term, as a mantra, by misusing the term

(Gordon Hoffman) #209

I don’t want to use the incorrect term; what would be the right one? I like the idea of the breakwaters greenhouse tubes. The jellyfish greenhouses look affordable and I’m glad they’re getting enough fresh water. Looks very encouraging.

(Wilfried Ellmer) #210

@Gordien - the key thought here is : if you want to cultivate something on the ocean you need a “calm lagoon feature” for it as a base - in marine engineering such a feature is also referred to as a “moonpool” because it is so wave free that the moonlight reflects in it.

This leads to the next question which design allows to create a suitable protection for a “moonpool lagoon” with the less material possible - the obvious answer is the BOW - combined with a Turret mooring.

The next question : And if we build something that is BOW and sellable real estate at the same time - we get something like this as “optimized design” a larger version like this could host and protect a square mile of yellyfish cultivation units side by side with C-shell housing units…

I think this is what the forum has become: yellyfish cultivation.

(Wilfried Ellmer) #212

is that supposed to be a contribution to the formentation of interesting quality debate in the seasteading universe ? - why don’t you open a thread about your seasteading book and we have a deeper investigation on some of the hypothesis you bring up in this book?

Whatever debate you pretend it is certainly misplaced under “Breakwater Design” and “Engineering” - don’t you think so?

Just because someone has an opinion that YOU didn’t give them, doesn’t meant they are wrong. Try not to antagonize everyone and please try not to spam the forum, with SEO links to your websites. For once, this is not your private space to express your presumed superiority, but a public forum dedicated to discussion, rather than the facts according to Encyclopedia Ellmer.

A discussion implies a speaker and a listener.

Discussion implies multiples of those.

None of us has all of the answers, though some of us may have a few more, than others. Even then, my answers don’t always apply to your application, so, best I can do is present stuff within the realm of possibilities, for others to consider, while I pick and choose what I think are the best options for me, then present my concept, separately, for constructive criticism, and further refinement.

None of us has to agree, to have a discussion, but none of us is god, with all the perfect, final answers, either…

I’ve presented any number of ideas for consideration as breakwaters, many of which, although patented, are replicable at a more economic scale. I don’t see a breakwater as a practical solution, in a floating environment, which is the presumed state, for seasteads…

(Wilfried Ellmer) #216

thanks for this informative post on breakwater design…see PM

(Wilfried Ellmer) #217

Triangular breakwater protecting a floating marina, and dome cluster development with wave impact resistent living space design Matias Volco…(ref.34) - This is a paradigma change the living space IS the breakwater. (Instead the floating city is protected BY a breakwater). . . ..

A small oceanic city needs a bow like a ship to deal with waves…Matias Volco Design

San Jose found - 1000 more sunken galleons out there | oceanic business alliance

That graph doesn’t appear to take into account differences in size or mass of the breakwater. If it’s referring to breakwaters of a specific size or mass then I’d agree, fixed, solid breakwaters are probably more effective, but we’re not restricted to breakwaters of tat specific size or mass.

(Matias Volco) #219

see more

What if we put it on the seafloor, instead…? (location dependent, of course)

If you’re building somewhere shallow enough to build directly on the sea bed, then that’s awesome, but you’d probably be as well off just going the extra few meters and building a platform.

They’re expecting to use this for offshore rigs.

"SB: How are concrete blocks able to influence surface waves to pass underneath them, instead of crashing into them?

MRA: A surface wave consists of surface elevation and also motion of fluid particles underneath the surface (kinetic energy of wave, which is in fact equal to the potential energy from the motion of these fluid particles).
“We use a simplified model of two-layer stratified ocean, but the real ocean is continuously stratified.”

Note that these two (surface elevation and motion of fluid particles) are dependent on each other and must exist so that we can see a wave.

Underwater obstacles target the motion of fluid particles associated with a propagating wave. As we alter the motion of fluid particles associated with a specific wave, the wave itself changes form (in our case, waves disappear on the surface and appear on the thermocline).

Bottom obstacles have to be in sinusoidal forms (like near-shore sandbars). But perfect sinusoid is not necessary. In fact, the closer the shape to a sin curve, the better the interaction, but again just random obstacles placed at a constant wavelength would work too."

What about the waves!?!