Breakwater Design

When you get that built, let us know, ok?

(Matias Volco) #182

@KatOnTri Kat you’ll be among the first to know, in fact you might even be able to moor your metal polynesian outrigger inside the sheltered waters of the aft of the ramform, away from the sight of its intimidating prow.
The reason I post pictures of a work in progress is because when I first saw this image:

I thought, of all the places in that beautiful city, I’d prefer to live in its outer “coast”, that is its breakwater, the least detailed part of the image and yet the most valuable component of the city. This is the image I came up with some months ago:

I suspect the earth doesn’t have enough money or available resources to build that. Besides there’s so much land with no one living on it. Or land that could use such developement, like Somalia, which might be bought for a less than the water proofing of that grandiose cgi pic.

(Matias Volco) #184

that’s nonesense @KatOnTri . All I understood from that comment is that you appear to find those images quiet cool. Wealth is created by organizing resources, much like the internet became popular when a certain search engine “organized” most of its information.
This is a project in Varadero, Cuba

this is an already begun construction project in that same coastal city:

The trend for that Cuban beach resort seems to, dangerously, emulate Cancun where beach and mangrove loss to hotels and development has already began taking its toll on the environment (and its resources).

I propose the same money and resources currently being used to develop the developing World be used for slightly offshore floating hotels, residences, businesses and logistical and manufacturing centers, instead of placing that same human structures and infrastructure on precious natural coastline.

You just posted two pics of things that are not floating. If they were made to float, they’d be using more resources. No, i don’t find them “quiet cool”, i find the cgi pics are misrepresenting what’s going on, and what’s likely to be going on.

(Jonas Smith) #186

That’s the same thing ellmer used to do…talk about how there is all this money going into seastead projects and then post pictures of land-based developments.

Matias, you should stop hanging out with ellmer…he’s a bad influence…

(.) #187

I do not want to live in a country like Somalia.

(Chris) #188

A decent breakwater design seems to be my Achilles’s heel. The only promising designs seem to price themselves out of reality in deep water.

So I’m going to start looking at the process that waves form and propagate and what is needed for large waves to continue at distance. I’m going to try to find what breaks any part of that process in nature.

It seems to me that most other natural processes such as this, require a series of natural variables and manipulating just one of those variables might be the key to breaking waves without massive measures. Although nothing seems immediately apparent, that doesn’t mean that something that we haven’t looked at before might not have promise. Something like creating air bubbles has been tried for instance.

Has anyone else tried to look at it from this angle? If so, can you point me towards some items that you have used for research? Any off the wall ideas to look at for a place to start would be welcome as well.

Thinking out loud, I’m thinking something like “What happens to a wave after it passes over an undersea mountain?”, “What happens to a wave when it is traveling in opposition to an undersea current?” etc… All I need is one abnormality that I can exploit.

(Chris) #189

hmm… this looks promising

All wave analysis is out the window in deep water, and there’s multitudes of wavelengths and ampitudes and directions.

Basically, upon hitting a slowly rising bottom to shallows, the wave bottom is dragged, the pressure distribution is shifted as water flows back off the beach, it rises and may crest or break. It’s attempting to keep it’s deep water profile as the water gets shallower.

A waveform hitting a vertical wall, like a cliff or coral reef escarpment, it’s bottom is reflected away, leaving little to support the top, which mellows away. The critical thing to remember is the water isn’t moving horizontally in the deep wave, it moves a distance only as thick as the wave is, then every atom of water has landed almost exactly where it was before the wave got there.

You may think “well, i can’t chop the bottoms off like a reef, but i can chop the tops off, and that will be as good!”, and you’d be half correct. One such machine was built, with two problems i recall: 1) the 100’s of flapper valves wore out very fast, 2) they could not get the water off the top of the machine fast enough (the existing water stopped new waves tops from boarding the machine, by keeping the flapper valves closed).

Think also of a flag in a steady breeze. The flag doesn’t leave the flag pole, but the wind makes pressure waves (ripples) that run the length of the flag and fall off. But every atom of the cloth is exactly the same place between waves.

(Chris) #191

Perhaps a floating 900 ft breakwater?

[quote=“JohnGalt, post:191, topic:821”]
Perhaps a floating 900 ft breakwater?
[/quote]Yeap, a 900 ft USELESS breakwater in large swells,…

(Chris) #193

Look up. Way up! Farther. Farther. Squint your eyes now.

That’s the joke that went way over your head.

(Matias Volco) #196

From vessel to city: gradual and possibly exponential growth of a breakwater city:

Except it’s not a Ramform

(.) #199

Body is too similar to what you recently posted

(Wilfried Ellmer) #200

Small seasteads need a breakwater design that includes a edge that functions like the bow of a ship - picture it this way - breakwater in the sense of a “seawall” needs to be giant…why is this post flagged by the bulleying group?

(Gordon Hoffman) #201

The ram-form designs look beautiful, but I haven’t seen any that has food growing.

(Wilfried Ellmer) #202

@Gordien - we could consider something like this floating in the calm stern lagoon… but it must be clear that this is a “calm water design”.