Brainstorming Contest/Invitation: Thinking Inside the Containerized Box

How do those fit into a shipping container?

This is a bit (read very) off topic, they don’t and aren’t meant to :stuck_out_tongue:

And Octavian, the difference between us is that I plan for large, more permanently located seasteads; whereas you plan for mobile ones.

Also, I’ll make this a personal habit:

You see this line? Below it we talk about the containerized boxes. Back on topic people!

(.) #99

Inside the container I think of an RV.
Outside of the container would be like a sailboat.

LOL, most of your posts are off the topic. Make it a personal habit to draw lines for yourself first.

@LarryP’s thread, let him decide… Just sayin’

We all have our own ideas. Drop me a message and I’ll try to help find relevant stuff to your concept. Between naps, I can cover some ground and find crap folks forgot 100 years ago (unless it’s on my computer, in which case, forget it, I’ll have better luck finding it on the internet).

So far, the newest idea seems to be a containerized spar-buoy platform…

(rings bell)

I’ll get back on the topic.

6 years ago a lot of work was put into designing a hexagonal float called HEXATOON by a former member here @TSI, xns. The hexatoons were designed to fit into a standard container for transportation, and a prototype was produced, but the idea never materialized…

Feel free to browse through the whole thread at:

Here are some highlights of that thread:

From xns: “In terms of cost, each hexatoon will retail for US$500, which should put the eventual square foot cost at less than $20/sqft. And for something that lasts “forever”, this seems like our best bet for now in terms of cost. Tests are pending of course, and I’ll post our findings as/when we have them.”

Experimental small hexagonal platform

Yes, I do in fact realize that I went with the conversation as it got off topic. Hence me trying to put the whole thing back on topic again…

As for the hexatoon things, that looks fabulous. I like how you can also build them up or down as needed. My only question is how would you add them to the underside? Would you start small and build on top of them, so that the mass pushes them under (and maybe flood them to give the seastead a center of mass?) or add special ones underneath with valves and pumps to control buoyancy in them?

Also, once you make your platform out of them, how would you build on top of them? Is there a way to connect vertical structure to them?

This is a brainstorming topic, under engineering. So long as we’re usefully discussing engineering/design ideas for seasteading, I’m content to let the conversation range a fair bit. Do keep in mind that anybody reading can start a new thread.

Given how much material is in the old forums (but isn’t easy to find, unless you know the right search terms), I’d like to have a Seasteading Wiki, either via TSI or elsewhere.

(.) #105

Very nice. Something rela.

TSI already has a wiki:

It’s not linked to the forum so you have to register separately.

It’s running a way-old version of MediaWiki but it does work.

Pour concrete on top and than build whatever you want there. Can add soil too,…

Would you use vertical spars (I know they have them for inter-buoy for horizontal and vertical) but how well would it work vertically? Also, wouldn’t it be better to find a way to not have to cover it with concrete so we could build upwards after if we want to expand the island? Say we do a module house with a specifically designed set of hexatoons to attach it to the main structure? That way we could move it up or around as the island grows and such. Something to look into.

You sound like you are going to go buy a set of hextoons this afternoon. Someone made one. Octavian showed you a pic of how an island may be made. Nevermind the first 10ft wave is going to destroy it, you now want to build a house on it with things that don’t exist?

I’m showing interest in what I think is a good design and looking to see how they could be improved upon and made more efficient… Pardon me…

Also, I never said anything about Octavian’s design, I just wanted to know if you poured concrete strait on top, how you held it in place, and if the house was connected to the concrete or to the hexatoons in a different manner. Perfectly valid questions.

Why is that? From my private communication at the time with xns the hexatoons were to be built very robust, and when connected and stacked as per specifications they would have been very solid, even without the concrete topping. Just take a second look at them:

These are not your skimpy square docks, 3’ x 3’ x 3’ that the Chinese are selling all over Alibaba,…but seasteading grade floating modules suitable for offshore applications.

I really liked them and the whole idea.

It’s also worth nothing that you can make a higher rim for your seastead by stacking them vertically around the perimeter, making water less likely to get in.

(Jonas Smith) #113

My problem with the Hexatoon has always been that incredibly small connection point between the center hexagon and each of the six outer segments. I really don’t see how that will stand up to the intense stress placed on it when two adjacent hexatoons move in relation to each other.

But that’s just me.

EDIT: The cost always seemed overly optimistic as well. Considering I found a 1/10 scale 3D model at Shapeways made of nylon plastic that sells for $621.64 I can’t imagine a full-scale model would be only $500.

The key is roto-molding. If it had only as much plastic as a normal sit-in kayak, it might cost $75 to produce, however that wouldn’t be sturdy enough, so figure at least quadruple the plastic, to make it strong enough…

Without enough produced to test, we’ll never know, but I agree in principal. There needs to be some sort of thickening at the branch tips and intersections, as well, but automotive tire rubber, with some sort of fibrous weave reinforcement should be quite sturdy enough.

Where you see a hexatoon, Jonas and i see 6 pentagons connected to a center column by a comparatively very thin strip. Compare that strip to the man’s hand, and keep in mine he is asian and likely has small hands. You allow those pentagons to move relative to each other, and that strip will fail. I challenge you to design that island any way you like, and then support opposite edges on the peaks of 5ft tall sawhorses wit the center sagging to the floor, and show me the tension stresses on the bottom won’t rip those hexatoons apart. And bust up the concrete. Or the compression collapse the top layer of hexatoons. Then show me using 10ft sawhorses. Put it in an airplane wing test jig to flex it repeatedly, like a 3 day run of waves from a passing hurricane in the distance, show me it will have no fatigue failures.

(Chad Elwartowski) #116

Person A: "Here’s a perfectly reasonable design that is modular, affordable and could scale"
Person B: “A rogue wave/hurricane will destroy that in a minute.”

-Every thread on

Meanwhile, on land houses are being built that are not taking into account every possible natural event.