Blockchain and Seasteading

(Chad Elwartowski) #1

I was in Singapore at the Tech In Asia conference where I gave an interview with Bitcoin Girl Thailand about blockchain solutions for seasteads.

http://bitcoingirlthailand.com/2018/05/18/bitcoin-girl-thailand-at-techinasia-2018-in-singapore-discusses-blockchain-and-seasteading/

(noboxes) #2

The website says you mentioned 20 solutions to seasteading. It doesn’t say what they are. Neither did you.

Wikipedia says

But it’s record-keeping on computers, which can crash. So how does that help, and isn’t it a bit early to decide how to manage records on a seastead that doesn’t exist?

(Chad Elwartowski) #3

Did you watch the video?

(noboxes) #4

What video?

(Chad Elwartowski) #5

The one in the article that says “Please watch the video for some great insight on how seasteading and blockchain can come together in the future on the high seas.”

(noboxes) #7

First time i have seen that picture. Downloading it now on other puter, too choppy to watch directly. Maybe in 10 minutes.

(bill mapezzi) #10

I got plenty to say in response, I’ll hold my tongue…But if Chad is sure it will work I’ll buy five dollars of it-what’s its name Vareyon?

(Chad Elwartowski) #11

Varyon

https://www.varyon.io

Unfortunately it is not open to US investors.*

The SEC does not like Americans.

*non-accredited US investors

(noboxes) #12

With citizenship in blockchain, it is possible you can never leave a seastead, or get citizenship in another seastead. It’s simple: you get citizenship anywhere, and they refuse to release you, and there’s no way to change it without their cooperation. Then they bill you the citizen fees, and a) bankrupt you, b) ruin your credit. Sorry for being an asshole.

(Chad Elwartowski) #13

Bankrupt, credit…these are all old banking terms that do not apply to cryptocurrencies.

Nobody can take your varyon without your permission.

Why would another seastead not allow you to have citizenship in their seastead just because some other seastead (that is obviously tyrannical) will not “release you”?

(noboxes) #14

I don’t know, there’s not another one to ask. Maybe it’s about being a “foreign agent”. Sorry for being such an asshole.

(Chad Elwartowski) #15

It would make sense that a seastead would want to know who is living on their seastead for many different reasons. The extent of how far that citizenship goes is completely up to each seastead.

It’s not much different than a gym membership. You might want to know who is a member of your club. If you try to go to another club, I doubt they would exclude you.

Citizenship is just a recording on a ledger showing that someone is a citizen of that seastead. What is done with that record is up to the seastead.

(bill mapezzi) #16

Why is this in “engineering”? would seem more like “introductions” or “business”.

(Chad Elwartowski) #17

Blockchain is software engineering.

(noboxes) #18

Imagine this was in engineering, in a blockchain, and people did not give their permission to have it relocated to a more appropriate heading.

(noboxes) #19

Using something is not engineering it. Do you really re-engineer your car when you put gas into it? Sorry i am such an asshole, just trying to help.

(Chad Elwartowski) #20

What people are you imagining control the blockchain?

Which by definition has no central control.

(Chad Elwartowski) #21

As a software engineer, it is likely that I will be creating these various different blockchain protocols.

(noboxes) #22

Those in the individual particles of information. According to protocol, once the next bit of data is added, it also has control over editing the information it has affirmed.

From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blockchain

So it can be quite the mess to get anything corrected.

(noboxes) #23

Then i will be trusting my existance to the same variety of people who gave us all the other buggy computer code being used around the world, that needs constant upgrades because of hacking? Sorry i am an asshole.