Biorock Experiments

(Ztevan Whyte) #42

Here’s the video. I stutter a lot since I have pretty bad adhd so don’t judge lol. It’s layered graphene it would work much better under lab conditions and with a extremely smooth sugar surface.

And here’s a new method I believe would work better:

(.) #43

Thank you very much for showing the video.
The video is interesting and well done.
Congratulations!

(Ztevan Whyte) #44

Thanks and I just thought of this - another way to make graphene may be accomplished by using pressure across a surface area greater than the number of Graphite atoms.

Measure an amount of Graphite powder which would be less the span of the fluid surface if it were graphene then while the fluid is under pressure maybe the Graphite will stretch itself across the top of the surface point of pressure to produce graphene.

Maybe this could be done with hydraulics fluid under pressure or maybe just in a pressurized container with water ?

Anyways I’m tired my brain hurts have a nice night

(.) #45

More biorock experiment yet to come.

(Rob Shuttleworth) #46

HI Ted, someone like yourself is essential here. Please stay around and I will do what I can to deal with the elements that can keep it in motion. I have always wrestled with conveying the value of new business models.
For starters, the seawater/solar deposition system must be developed and then the motion system.
Most of the parts for these can be 3D printed, or at least templates and tools, molds, etc. along with instruction videos.

I have done some similar development things on 3dorchard.com , and youtube.com/shuttlespaceca so it’s not like there are any barriers at this point.
It’s just a matter of finding the few people that follow the 1 percent rule, until there is some incentive.

Seems there are two 1 percent rules…
Here is the one I meant…https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=16&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjtuKLZ56fYAhUH7YMKHTV_AAoQFgh1MA8&url=https%3A%2F%2Fen.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2F1%25_rule_(Internet_culture)&usg=AOvVaw0LTLeLWW7I5vpSoKjXL21C

Cheers.

(MountSteader) #47

@cole_santos I actually tried it with a piece of screen mesh a few years back, using pencil lead as the graphite anode. Sadly only one or two of the first leads Iused were sturdy enough to last for a couple days and start accreting material.

It built a chalky layer over about a third of the screen, at least some of it thick enough to not chip off, but I ran out of anodes to use, and when I attempted to use aluminum as an alternative, it filled the container with aluminum foam or sludge, contaminating the seawater I was working with.

I was going to retry the experiments after getting a DC bucking power supply (5-20A) so I could test it with as close to the 1.5V ideal accretion voltage, since it has a significant decline in efficiency at 5V to basically no accretion at 20V, according to the papers I had read. That has sadly not happened, and doesn’t look to be in my immediate future.

(Craig G. Lewis) #48

Got to Love Robert. and ALL that he is doing. Had a great chat with him. I have 100 Million ton Graphite deposit that we are going to mine (Looking for investors) to start making Graphene Paints and Super Capacitors. :slight_smile:

(.) #49

I wish you good luck with that!

(Craig G. Lewis) #50

Yes I think that we will :slight_smile:
http://www.canadianexplorationinc.com/property_cabot.php

(Alexander Tomasik) #51

It’d definitely make a good surface layer around an already preexisting hull/structure. It’d be good/neat to have a coral reef attached to the underside of the vessel as well; for weather effects as well as resources.

Now you’re talking.

I don’t know what “weather effects” that will be,…

Resources, yes.

Eat fish every day. Plenty to also sell.

Definitely a money making tourist attraction.

(Chad Elwartowski) #53

So I am in Tahiti now. I am living in a house right on the beach so I am ready to do some experiments.

I am getting PADI certified so I will be able to walk out of my house and into the ocean to try things out on the sea floor.

I’m thinking about starting small. Some sort of small solar cell connected to a wire on the ocean floor (where there is still sunlight).

As was mentioned somewhere, alot of these biorock experiments look ugly with wires hanging from the surface and the statues falling apart, etc. I’d like to see if containing the power source on the bottom will do anything.

(.) #54

Power source on the bottom will probably do something.
The biorock experiments, recorded, used 1.5V. A 12V nominal solar panel, probably gives
about 19V on full sunshine. So a 1.5V is probable under water too.
Kelp grows from about 60’, 20 meters, so about 20 meters deep, there is still, some sunshine.
It is probably a good idea, provided the panel can handle the salt water and the pressure.
From 10 meters dept, probably no need to decompress with a scuba gear for a human.
If you need more guesses, let me know. Else, good luck.
Scuba gear , I have too. Certification: no.

(Chad Elwartowski) #55

Ya, just finished a dive this morning. 20-30m down is still light here in the clear waters.

(Cole Santos) #56

So i have done a ton of experiments in ny fishtank. Steel wool disintergrated very fast. Titianium mesh got some kind of coating on it that reduced condictivity. The platinum coated one did ok. The graphite rod materials disintergrated from bubbles. So pretty mucglh everything was a disappointment.

Except the almighty carbon fiber. Holy shit do i love carbon weave. It needs 3 volts to overcome higher resistance and get current flow. You can use for annode and cathode. Its basically amazing. I didnt experiment long enough for a solidification but the fiber is evenly coated and stiffening. Need to experiment in open sea now.

(.) #57

Yes, that conclusion seems to be reasonable to me.

My understanding is:
The biorock is carbonate precipitate of calcium and magnesium. First the salts precipitate as
hydroxides and later combine with carbon-dioxide to form carbonates.

In a fish tank these Ca2+ and Mg2+ ions get depleted. Replacement of the ions is necessary.
In open sea, there is so much water that the dissolved ions never need to be replenished.
Even tidal action would bring enough Ca2+ and Mg2+ ions in that it would always keep the
ion concentration as high as it gets.
The way I understand it is that the Ca2+ and Mg2+ ions are almost saturation level concentration
in sea water, so it is easier to precipitate these compared to Na+ and Cl-.

(.) #58

I did experiment with copper pipe as cathode and a steel rebar as anode.
The iron (steal) bar gets corroded fast. There was some build up of hydroxide on the
copper.
There are some limitation of these experiments for me. I think it is a bit risky to do it at
the dock because of stray current could damage the metallic parts of other peoples boats.
Or other people can claim that my experimental current did damage their boat even if it
did not.
I see, one way to avoid that is doing the electrolysis in a tank on a boat and pumping water
through the tank. I did not see it a wise move to continuously pump sea water in and out of
my boat, when I am not there.

A research buoy could prove to be useful. Logistics again, where to put the buoy.
I did not think about under water solar panels yet. They efficiency seems low, but it might still
work. I think it worth the try.

(Chad Elwartowski) #59

A post was split to a new topic: Floating island of pumice

If “feasible” means “capable of being done, effected, or accomplished” of course it can be done but it will take a LOOOONG time.

If “feasible” means “practicable, practical, workable, viable, realistic, sensible, reasonable, within reason; suitable, expedient”, biorock is just a waste of LOOOONG time.

What’s the point of waiting for accretion when you can just build a seastead?

(system) #61

This topic was automatically closed 100 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.