Avoiding the "Waterworld" Atoll Security Model

(Robert Newman) #1

Having read some of the commentary in these forums on security/defensive systems/weapons, I would bet a barrel of barnacles that The Seasteading Institute will be clever enough to establish law enforcement & security policies, tactics, techniques and procedures that steer well clear of any conch-headed ideas about turning seasteads into something akin to the atoll in “Waterworld”.

The waters of French Polynesia are hardly infested with pirates. Intel assessments indicate this is not going to change any time soon and render these environs as dangerous as the Horn of Africa, Nigeria, SE Asia, etc.

Besides the usual crime commonplace with societies, such as theft, assault, fraud, and so on, the three primary types of crime a seastead will be faced with that might have the potential for mass casualties and catastrophic loss are cyber attacks targeting functional systems, insider-threat attacks (kinetic and cyber), and terror attacks. The good news is that these three types of crime can be defended against without images of the Deacon at the helm of his war barge coming into play.

Seasoned maritime counterterrorism professionals certified in human behavior pattern recognition & analysis, who also have real-world insider-threat detection & prevention credentials, will be instrumental in any comprehensive security plan, the latter of which, we must not forget, will be joined at the hip with the legal system in place and the governance philosophy.

Would these sea steads have a military?
(Jordan) #2

Robert. I think you’re right. At least in the current state of affairs, attacks from pirates do not look like a real problem, and given that this seastead will be located within the sovereign waters of French Polynesia, which is protected by the National Gendarmerie and the French Military, I don’t think protection from other nations will be a real issue.

I agree that the major mass-casualty dangers are internal and external terrorism, and cyber attacks.

Have you considered whether or not the reason piracy is not common in French Polynesian waters is because there are not very many opportunities for pirates there? With the advent of a seastead there, there will be new opportunities for them. It may turn out that it never becomes an issue, but I still think it would be remiss of the STI to not be at least nominally prepared for something like that to happen, like SOPs, an emergency response force, some .50 caliber guns on the perimeter (or whatever), so no one gets caught with their pants down. The ERF can also be trained and responsible for other emergencies that might be more likely as well, especially water-related emergencies like floods, leaks, waves, storms, etc.

What do you think about that?

Also, are you interested in addressing the more commonplace issues of theft, assault, fraud and so on?

(Robert Newman) #3

Jordan:

The reason piracy is all but unheard of in French Polynesia is because the geo- and sociopolitical conditions do not exist thereabouts for piracy to become a major issue. Stability is the norm, thus the requisite catalysts for piracy are nonexistent. The seastead there will provide no tangible opportunities for piracy.

SOPs are part of any security apparatus. The Institute and host government must, and will, first agree upon and codify who will be responsible for what insofar as security goes. HMGs, under the expected conditions, will be unnecessary. Were the seastead being built off Puntland or the Nigeria Delta, for example, a more robust and overtly kinetic defensive system would be required, but a handful of platforms so close to the shores of a peaceful, stable nation need not be bristling with weapons. Additionally, LRADs and other non-lethal deterrents are available and can be quite effective.

The routine crime I cited in my initial post could, and very well might, be handled by the seastead’s security force with extradition of suspects to the host nation for legal processing.

(Jordan) #4

I agree that the current status quo of French Polynesia is not conducive to pirates. And I’m not necessarily suggesting this, but could not the advent of a seastead in the area become the requisite catalyst? I’m asking. Influx of foreigners, influx of wealth, economic changes, these things can cause instability in addition to all of the benefits. I’m just trying to consider the angles.

HMGs or anything else, I was more concerned that there be SOMETHING. LRADs are a great idea.

What are your ideas about addressing terrorism and cyber-crime, aside from hiring maritime counter-terrorism professionals, which I assume you are, ha.

(Robert Newman) #5

The seastead will, if anything, add to stability and growth in French Polynesia rather than cause instability. Also, pirates require home ports or a mother ship from which to operate. No port in French Polynesia or any in-range countries will allow pirates to use it as a haven. Mother ships are easily detected and would be dealt with by the military or law enforcement assets of a country in whose waters the ship is discovered, or while in international waters would likely be handled by the US Navy and Marines. Remember, also, that pirates do not like a robust and assured opposition.

Terrorism and cyber crime are potential threats everywhere. These will be addressed as the seastead’s legal issues are sorted out by the government and TSI.

(Jordan) #6

I agree with you regarding stability. I was more asking the question to understand rather than to argue or anything. I sort of had this idea that it might bring a greater NET stability after growing pains etc.

I’m glad you understand this business with the pirates. I don’t, other than a sort of general idea that they’re out there in some parts of the ocean and they’re dangerous, ha.